Quantcast

Windrock NOW!!!!!

motobutane

Monkey
Apr 27, 2010
WNC
The other thread was gettin too long. I can only make it one day this weekend so whats the better day?????
Sat the 19th
or Sunday ?

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
come Saturday then.

O.T. anybody know where I can get soome 2011 code pads by friday or saturday? F-ing price point screwed my order.

miragebass

Chimp
Oct 9, 2008
I'm assuming 2011 code pads are different than 2009? I may have a set of 2009 pads and I'll bring them along if they're compatible.

And I think Saturday is gonna be the day to go. Should be a decent little group.

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
Thanks guys. 2011 pads are different than 2009, which is why it is hard to find them. I'll give that shop a call though.

Can't wait to get some serious ride time in fri-sun!

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
We got in about 7 or 8 runs before dark. Felt good to dust the winter cobwebs off. Tacky dirt. Lots of loose rock and some tree limbs on the trails, but we cleaned a lot of it. Tomorrow should be fun.

miragebass

Chimp
Oct 9, 2008
Awesome day yesterday, despite my trail maintenance injury :-( ??? We were moving a huge branch that was down up on the windmill trail and it got dropped on my left foot and may have broken my toe. Oh well, broken toe isn't a critical injury, should be riding again in a couple weeks.

Hit some awesome new stuff (to me) yesterday including the wooden step-down on windmill and the jaw-drop and one other gap on the "to road gap" trail where you cross by that open (powerline?) area.

I'll probably take the next few weeks off (going to Oregon March 11th) but I'll see you guys again in a month or two!

motobutane

Monkey
Apr 27, 2010
WNC
Awesome day yesterday, despite my trail maintenance injury :-( ??? We were moving a huge branch that was down up on the windmill trail and it got dropped on my left foot and may have broken my toe. Oh well, broken toe isn't a critical injury, should be riding again in a couple weeks.

Hit some awesome new stuff (to me) yesterday including the wooden step-down on windmill and the jaw-drop and one other gap on the "to road gap" trail where you cross by that open (powerline?) area.

I'll probably take the next few weeks off (going to Oregon March 11th) but I'll see you guys again in a month or two!
Good seeing " You guys" again, we'll have to mix up the shuttles next time. I don't know how we got 8 bikes on the Nissan- BTW Kevins truck had like 4 screens in it and we watched a mtb movie all day( Follow me)Every time I go I make it a point to try a new feature, I pussed out of one (windmill)drop and hit a new one on trail#1. Oregon !!!!! man they have magic dirt up there! if your going there to ride.

miragebass

Chimp
Oct 9, 2008
Yeup, I was out there last year visiting a friend and the riding out there is pure flow. It does lack tech, but it's a fun style of riding nonetheless. And yeah, I'm going out there to ride again. We're (tenatively) riding Post Canyon, Syncline, and Colonnade. Last year we rode Post Canyon, Blackrock, Mary's Mountain, and some of the trails in Oak Ridge, Oregon. I've now downhilled outside of 2 Oak Ridges!

And I think the key to doing that wood stepdown on Windmill is just to follow someone off of it. Don't look at it before you hit it because it looks really intimidating, but in all reality it's really smooth.

Last edited:

motobutane

Monkey
Apr 27, 2010
WNC
there was some of that Magic Dirt at windrock this weekend!

Can't figure out how to put this in the thread, but here's the link:
canyon jump | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Yeahhhhh!!!! Canyon jump sounds way better than creek gap. Save photo to file and click manage attachments, browse & attach, then upload and shazam:thumb: Then you can click photo for larger size. And good meeting you "Peterpanic"

Last edited:

motobutane

Monkey
Apr 27, 2010
WNC
Randy, right? Good to meet you too.
Hope to see you up here again soon.
Yep thats me:D We are coming back to WR March the 5th, I think a few of us non racers( Not going to Clemson) will be there.

Here's a completely unedited video of me hitting the Canyon jump:weee:

Last edited:

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
With all the love for Windrock recently and the warm weather we are moving the tools from the XC trails and starting work on the DH trails. We have plans to minimize all the spider web trails and singularize runs. The biggest change will be separating Snakerock from the road gap. We'll route it such that Middle Finger will go the road gap now. We are thinking hard of reopening Snakeroack in its original version.

miragebass

Chimp
Oct 9, 2008
Sounds great, not that there's anything wrong with all the little lines on the lower section.

I also wanted to mention there's a fairly decent sized limb/tree down on the windmill trail right before where the "Old Lower Windmill" branches off, down after the point drop.

Here's a vid of me and one of the new guys who came with us hitting the stepdown on windmill and him crashing off the trail afterward (is there a name for this feature?) Crappy camera so quality is bad.

roperacer

Monkey
Aug 17, 2009
chattanooga tn
so is that the drop,,,,, that if you did not want to hit the drop, you would have had to walk the bike the the left side the drop, over a log and a ditch?

about 6 foot tall i think i remember and butter smooth?

if so,, that thing is the most fun wooden feature there!

bmbass

Chimp
Sep 20, 2010
Hippyville, NC
With all the love for Windrock recently and the warm weather we are moving the tools from the XC trails and starting work on the DH trails. We have plans to minimize all the spider web trails and singularize runs. The biggest change will be separating Snakerock from the road gap. We'll route it such that Middle Finger will go the road gap now. We are thinking hard of reopening Snakeroack in its original version.

What was the original snakerock like? Sounds reasonable, I almost died when it was really dry last summer going from the last drop into the creek gap due to some back tire washout making that slight turn into it. I could also see where that could be a potential collision spot from people hauling ass from both trails.

That drop looks like 3 feet in the video.:rofl:

I think elliminating the excessive "connectors" and going back to stand alone runs will bring back some missing charm from the old days.
Old snake all the way is a good example.
I also think some new form of a trail 1 into the roadgap and or conecting to lower trail one from the red-bull race is key especially if the snake to 1 connector is closed down.
Please leave upper 1 to drop out to z-cut intact.
Middle finger needs a going over and frankly is a bad a$$ all in yor grill kind off trail.....:D

tgaines72

Monkey
Jul 28, 2002
Knoxville, TN
Sounds great, not that there's anything wrong with all the little lines on the lower section.

I also wanted to mention there's a fairly decent sized limb/tree down on the windmill trail right before where the "Old Lower Windmill" branches off, down after the point drop.

Here's a vid of me and one of the new guys who came with us hitting the stepdown on windmill and him crashing off the trail afterward (is there a name for this feature?) Crappy camera so quality is bad.

Brian cut that limb/tree out, so it's clear now.

Most locals call that the Tree Drop.

miragebass

Chimp
Oct 9, 2008
Yeah, I agree the video makes it look tiny, but when you're going off that thing or when I used to walk the go around, you realize it's pretty decent size. Maybe it's more like 6 out and 6 down, but the landing is so smooth, though I definitely bottomed my fork the first time I hit it.

And x2 on leaving the upper1 to drop out to z-cut intact. I'd also like to see the lower part of drop out (past z-cut) remain intact as well.

Both middle finger and snakerock are great, but I agree there are some little roundabout trails between them that are just so-so. Definitely want to see the wood stuff stay, and the rock-ride on middle finger. Though, it kind of looks like the "Earnhardt" drop could use some work. Seems a bit rickety nowadays.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Snakerock will probably go back to version 1 but still ending on Earnhardt.

Middlefinger will get routed to finish to the road gap

Will reopen some version of Dark Hollow into Twisted

Will finish the reroute of Trail 1

Dropout will remain the same

Southern Rocks will remain the same

Probably he only "alternates" will be Rail Yard off of Snakerock and Z-cut off Drop Out. The biggest change will be separating Snakerock from the rest of the trails and not being able to get back to Earnhardt from Middle.

Also The Jawbone area will get a major rework.

Last edited:

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
I guess this means road gap #2 will be gone? Not that anyone ever rides that way anyway. And lower middle finger will become the road gap, not the fun little curvy trail that it is now? Makes sense though.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Yeah, that road gap #2 is never hit. Well not enough to keep that connector open.

We are going to have to think about how all this plays out, but I am thinking that the Bog will get reopened and it will make its way STFD into Twisted in the area of road gap#2.

I am also thinking of how we can get the road gap into the lower freeride area and not the Jawbone area. Which means the lower section of the Chute will be reopened in some form.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Yeah, that road gap #2 is never hit. Well not enough to keep that connector open.

We are going to have to think about how all this plays out, but I am thinking that the Bog will get reopened and it will make its way STFD into Twisted in the area of road gap#2.

I am also thinking of how we can get the road gap into the lower freeride area and not the Jawbone area. Which means the lower section of the Chute will be reopened in some form.
Phone Home!!!! Nice!!!!

Cecil

You know how we sometimes take the road gap run out where it joins with lower middle finger and then bushwack right to 14 to join up with lower trail one at the slope rock instead of the fast left berm to lower jaw bone?
Is that what your thinking about?

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Yes, kind of. Will probably be in the woods to the left of 14 and I was thinking of coming into the freeride section on the old go around of the first little double before the first big drop.