Quantcast

Windrock - local news

CHepler

Monkey
Sep 5, 2005
OLIVER SPRINGS - Oliver Springs City Council members on Thursday night agreed, in a 3-1 vote, to annex 259 acres for a proposed campground for off-road riders on the northeast edge of the city.

Coal Creek Mining & Manufacturing Co., the energy and recreation company that asked for the annexation, has proposed installing water and sewer lines, but city officials would be responsible for maintenance and fee collections. Coal Creek Co. asked Oliver Springs to annex the land so the company could use city utilities and police protection at the campground, which would be near Windrock Mountain.
Project officials said the campground, on about 10 acres, could include 44 recreational-vehicle sites, 15 cabins and up to 40 primitive camping sites, along with two bath houses, a general store and office.

Surveyor Gene Lackey, of Lackey and Associates, said the project now goes to the Oliver Springs Planning Commission on May 9 for zoning and other considerations.-----------

This is a good thing for anybody that uses the mountain. Just thought I'd share it.
I'm also a member of the Planning Commission, and it's probably safe to say it will pass there too.

I would have just posted a link, but you have to register on the newspapers site, so I cut and pasted the Windrock stuff.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
thank you chris.
i knew this was in the works.

this is huge news for the long term growth of our mountain.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
spoke80 said:
What, no pool?!:mumble:
actually the long term goal of the club for the area in question is to have the club's office up there.
have an a.t.v. wash area.
coal creek's offices i think will be moved up there.
the club wants to have a storage facility.
they want to build a meeting hall.
and yes, they've even talked about a pool and rec area in the campground.

they're may be baby steps taken to achieve all of these goals, but that place is just going to keep getting better and better.

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
GotMyGED said:
Spoke, how was your ride yesterday at the rock? Still muddy?
Trails were outstanding! A little slick in spots but nothing like I thought it would be. Did you get out for a ride?

GotMyGED

Monkey
Mar 29, 2006
Knoxville
spoke80 said:
Trails were outstanding! A little slick in spots but nothing like I thought it would be. Did you get out for a ride?
Yeah, went to Norris and got in about 20 miles. Looked all over for the scapegoat, but never found him.

By the way, i hate horses, they have ruined about 75% of the singletrack out there.

Me in the parking lot after my ride.

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
GotMyGED said:
Yeah, went to Norris and got in about 20 miles. Looked all over for the scapegoat, but never found him.

By the way, i hate horses, they have ruined about 75% of the singletrack out there.

Me in the parking lot after my ride.
Whitepine is a perfect example! I don't blame the horses they're to stupid to do any better. No, I blame the dipsh!ts on the horses who rock the Git-r-dun attitude. How hard can to be to ride around on a horse in Norris?

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
Jeremy R said:
My wrists are froze up like Walt Disney.
Shoo, my whole body is tired. Great session yesterday!

Butch, thanks for feeding Chili that jerky! She produced some blinding flatulence on the way home and all last night.:mumble:

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
profro said:
I saw Joey feed her some sort of porage (sp?). Anyway, that couldn't be good for her G.I. tract.
I wouldn't imagine that oatmeal would be the culprit, jerky on the other hand.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
profro said:
I saw Joey feed her some sort of porage (sp?). Anyway, that couldn't be good for her G.I. tract.
man, she had some bad gas goin on long before she ate any of my stuff.
the drive down from the windmills was vile.

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
To all affected and on behalf of Chili I would like to apologise for her stank ass.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
spoke80 said:
My bike...after I removed around 2 pounds of sod and creek goo from the swingarm and downtubes. I was sure to recycle my dirt and throw it directly into the parking lot at Bubba's...not in a trash can where it might go to a landfill. Right Doug?

Ironicly, Ben is right. Only spots were slick. My bike only got muddy b/c during our tour, Ben felt those "spots" were more fun than any of the other dozens of trails we rode...:love:

And, Ben...I make no apologies for feeding Chili a shred of jerk...at least it was cooked. And Joey's right...she was farting us off the back of the truck in the open air!:oink:

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
dhbuilder said:
good dog.
real good dog.
Lastnight she was rippin it up on the couch and it got so bad that I took her outside to squeeze the rest of the fumes out.:looney:

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Yeah, I've never seen anyone (who is standing outside) remove dirt from a bike and then walk 25 feet to a trash can and throw it away. He walked past 2 flower beds and 25 feet of earth on the way. Jeremy is a conservationist hippie.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
profro said:
Yeah, I've never seen anyone (who is standing outside) remove dirt from a bike and then walk 25 feet to a trash can and throw it away. He walked past 2 flower beds and 25 feet of earth on the way. Jeremy is a conservationist hippie.
Call me what you want, but Buddy's BBQ is too sacred to leave big dirt clods in the parking lot.
I walked that 25 feet in honor and respect for the pork sandwich.:rofl:

Thx guys for the trails, the shuttle, the CD's :) etc...
I will be back up there as soon as I perform emergency fork surgery.
I think it is gonna need a triple bypass.
I ordered that soft spring at 10:02 this morning.:)

GotMyGED

Monkey
Mar 29, 2006
Knoxville
spoke80 said:
To all affected and on behalf of Chili I would like to apologise for her stank ass.
its ok ben, everyone knows chili's bowels are only geared toward digesting very large rocks and sticks.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
Jeremy R said:
My wrists are froze up like Walt Disney.
for the record.
in case you weren't aware of this.
southernrocks will be more than happy to b....slap anyone of us at any time. and she WILL leave a mark. i've no doubt she took even more satisfaction out of slamming her creater into the ground, and forcing him off the bike for a few weeks.

she started a serious rivalry.

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
dhbuilder said:
for the record.
southernrocks will be more than happy to b....slap anyone of us at any time. and she WILL leave a mark. i've no doubt she took even more satisfaction out of slamming her creater into the ground, and forcing him off the bike for a few weeks.

Started!? That's been going on seen birth.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
dhbuilder said:
for the record.

Man, I did not realize that you were banged up enough to keep you off the bike. That sucks man.:mad:
Yeah, when I exited Southern Rocks yesterday, I was looking for a souveneir stand where I could buy a big trucker hat that said,
"I survived Southern Rocks.":dead:
Survived is a better word than rode.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
spoke80 said:
Started!? That's been going on seen birth.
i think the deal with her was that she's been giving me so many good fun runs, that she thought i was getting the upperhand.
she just wanted to remind me that she runs the show.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
dhbuilder said:
i think the deal with her was that she's been giving me so many good fun runs, that she thought i was getting the upperhand.
she just wanted to remind me that she runs the show.
you couldn't have found a rock better shaped to cradle your lanky self. You fell in a seam betwee two massive slabs that cupped you gently. That run was nice to you. Imagine if you'd ate it further down near the creek crossing and tried to find a not so jagged, spiked place to land...

tomvan72

Monkey
Dec 6, 2005
Asheville
That would be a good excuse for sure. That's is definately my favorite place to ride:devil:
My crashing was probably my body's way of telling me to "F*#$ off!Ride down hill."
I am going to do some secete runs tonight or tomorrow local before I go to the Rock on Wednesday. Hungry?

seabass

Chimp
Aug 30, 2002
knoxville, tn
GotMyGED said:
Right on. Last time I rode down White Pine it was DESTROYED. Horse people seem to love to tear **** up.

In case you guys missed Terry yesterday, he was layin' it down epic XC style. Went something like this.

Terry's phone- Ring. Ring.

Terry- "Uhhh. Yea."

Matt- "Hey man, you still going to Big South Fork with us? Just checkin' to see before we order up some breakfast"

Terry- " Sorry I went to a party until 3:30. Got way too drunk"

Matt- "Cool. I'll catch you next week"

Five minutes later...

Terry-"Hey, you guys left yet"

Matt-"Nope"

Terry-"Be there in ten"

Terry shows up hungover (still drunk) with three hours sleep, crawls into the back of my Suburban and then lays it down for four freakin' hours in some of the worst conditions I have ever ridden in. Deep mud, sand and serious climbs. Three or four XC rides in the last six months and he shows up for a four hour ride!! Pretty strong.

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
seabass said:
Right on. Last time I rode down White Pine it was DESTROYED. Horse people seem to love to tear **** up.

In case you guys missed Terry yesterday, he was layin' it down epic XC style. Went something like this.

Terry's phone- Ring. Ring.

Terry- "Uhhh. Yea."

Matt- "Hey man, you still going to Big South Fork with us? Just checkin' to see before we order up some breakfast"

Terry- " Sorry I went to a party until 3:30. Got way too drunk"

Matt- "Cool. I'll catch you next week"

Five minutes later...

Terry-"Hey, you guys left yet"

Matt-"Nope"

Terry-"Be there in ten"

Terry shows up hungover (still drunk) with three hours sleep, crawls into the back of my Suburban and then lays it down for four freakin' hours in some of the worst conditions I have ever ridden in. Deep mud, sand and serious climbs. Three or four XC rides in the last six months and he shows up for a four hour ride!! Pretty strong.

Not quite Windrock news but I guess any excuse to place jabs is your latest game. Good to see you and Terry got some cuddle time.:rofl:

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
bizutch said:
you couldn't have found a rock better shaped to cradle your lanky self. You fell in a seam betwee two massive slabs that cupped you gently. That run was nice to you. Imagine if you'd ate it further down near the creek crossing and tried to find a not so jagged, spiked place to land...
yeah, but it was the first bounce off the rocks that nestled me into that fold that did the damage. 9 times out of ten, if i dab or spode out on that trail. that's always where it'll be.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
tomvan72 said:
That would be a good excuse for sure. That's is definately my favorite place to ride:devil:
My crashing was probably my body's way of telling me to "F*#$ off!Ride down hill."
I am going to do some secete runs tonight or tomorrow local before I go to the Rock on Wednesday. Hungry?
you're phone rang the moment I read this...

seabass

Chimp
Aug 30, 2002
knoxville, tn
spoke80 said:
How is it Windrock news?
You know, now that you've pointed it out I see you're right. I am sorry for posting a story about our friend Terry that did a non-Windrock ride yesterday. I will try and stay more on topic, like discussions about you're dogs farts.

Carry on.

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
seabass said:
You know, now that you've pointed it out I see you're right. I am sorry for posting a story about our friend Terry that did a non-Windrock ride yesterday. I will try and stay more on topic, like discussions about you're dogs farts.

Carry on.
We were also discussing my short legs in addition to dog farts.

BTW, Glad to hear someone went to ride BSF. That area could be so much more than it is.

Also, you might want to pick a stronger loop. Especially, if a guy who's sleep deprived, half-drunk, and hasn't ridden xc in a blue-moon can keep up for 4-5 hours.:rofl: :love:

It is Terry we're talking about........and he's not from this world.