Quantcast

Windrock = Gnar

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
Just back from a weekend of riding and shuttling with a bunch of monkeys down in Windrock, TN, and all I can say is that if you live anywhere east of the Mississippi, you HAVE to visit this place.

I'm not sure if the locals who get to ride this place regularly will be psyched or pissed that I'm spreading the word about their amazing trails, but it's too good of a riding place to keep under wraps. I can't even begin to describe the amount of work that has obviously gone into cutting the miles and miles of easily shuttle-able DH trails there, but imagine some of your favorite trails at Whistler transplanted to a location where the riding season is 10-12 months a year and the intensity of the jumps/drops/rock gardens/berms is cranked up considerably.

From what I gather a group of just 5-7 guys has done the vast majority of the work on these trails, and honestly, it's staggering to try and comprehend the number of man-hours they must have sunk in to make these trails so ridiculously flowy, well-drained, and sh!t-eating-grin fun. Having ridden all over North America and Hawaii, I'm hard pressed to think of another riding spot that's as challenging and superbly laid out - Whistler obviously stands in a league of it's own due to the sheer amount of terrain and infrastructure, but I can't think of another bike park I'd rather ride (Bromont is up there due to the high number of trails, but Windrock beats it due to how much more challenging it is).

Anyway, enough gushing. Let me just wrap up by saying I can't imagine a better place for early or late season riding than Windrock. Hell, mid-season is probably awesome, too.

A gigantic thanks goes out to Cecil, Greg, Doug, all the Clemson maniacs, and the rest of the crew for showing me around and waiting for my sorry ass to get the nut up to hit all the jumps and drops. Can't wait to ride with you fellas again.

--JP

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
J
I can't even begin to describe the amount of work that has obviously gone into cutting the miles and miles of easily shuttle-able DH trails

From what I gather a group of just 5-7 guys has done the vast majority of the work on these trails, and honestly, it's staggering to try and comprehend the number of man-hours they must have sunk in to make these trails so ridiculously flowy, well-drained, and sh!t-eating-grin fun.
--JP
JP,
Great to shred with you even though we didn't see a single bikini as promised.

As you stated a lot of time, energy, and cash has gone into Windrock. I wanted to point out for appreciation only the hardly loacl souls who make/made Windrock what it is today.

Windrock Trail Builders: (PAST and PRESENT)

Mark Webb, Brian Poston, Doug Ferguson, Mark Ziska, Matt Whisneuski(sp), Terry Jeffers, Loonatic, James(STFD), Homeboy, Chris Maxey, Rusty, various out-o-towners, and Joey Bridges.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Couldn't agree more, I'd have to say the Windrock is one of the best trail systems I've ever ridden. It was more than worth the 3 hour drive and the near death experience in Oak Ridge. I will definitely be going back there many, many times.

I had a great time riding with you JP, tell your GF thanks again for shuttling us.

def

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
knoxville, tn
Windrock Trail Builders: (PAST and PRESENT)

Mark Webb, Brian Poston, Doug Ferguson, Mark Ziska, Matt Whisneuski(sp), Terry Jeffers, Loonatic, James(STFD), Homeboy, Chris Maxey, Rusty, various out-o-towners, and Joey Bridges.
Your forgetting yourself

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Finally someone who has the relevant background and experience to rank Windrock among the other bike parks both US and abroad.

Oh...and JP...stop mentioning Hawaii...salt in the wound every time...

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
JP glad you had such a great time man and once again thanks goes out to your girl for driving us!!!! Great times are always had up at the Rock hanging out with great people and ripping up the MT. Next time you will have to hit the road gap and ride down Middle Finger to Bedrock. The combos are crazy there. All you have to do is dream it up and then try to ride it. I am impressed at all the guys from Clemson manning up for Southern Rocks. We thought we would wake them up to real DH Gnar by making them do it. It was funny when I was the one up side down by trying to hang with Doug once again!!!!!:disgust1: Sat night was funny as Hell at Atomic City watching the American Idel rejects!!!!! Beers at Massenutten man!!!!

PS post the pics your girl took!!!!

Cecil

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
Yeah I love SS too, not the baseball steroid user but Snowshoe - Jeremy always has the funniest oneliners - that was funny!
But, yeah it's hard to beat Windrock - there is rumor of a race there this fall Please make it happen on Windmill (2900ft. vertical and about 11-15 min.) of pure DH sex!

Please squeeze it inbetween all the eastcoast racedates! It's too good an idea to be overshadowed by ANY other race date!

That was a great weekend of riding and I enjoyed all the new additions.

If you guys wanting pics are that curious there has to be plenty of pics and vids archieved from the South Forum!

Wndrckr

Monkey
Nov 10, 2005
Knoxville, TN
We appreciate the kind words and review. It's funny how the reputation along with the elevation of the Windmill trail keeps growing among the e-world. :biggrin:

Tweety

Chimp
May 30, 2007
I rode it this past weekend, too. Seriously big. Seriously fun. Much more difficult IMHO than anything on the lower mtn at Whistler, and probably the upper. Not only would I not ride the trail unless I had a full face, I want body armor and any other padding I can find.

Echoing the OP, thanks tons to all those who work to make that trail what it is. You've really nailed it. Great work & thanks to the rest of the folks that keep that whole park open. The whole scene there kicks arse.

Can't wait to get back.

B

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
We appreciate the kind words and review. It's funny how the reputation along with the elevation of the Windmill trail keeps growing among the e-world. :biggrin:
Is 2900 incorrect? that is what I thought I had heard from a couple locals but, maybe It grew in my mind-whatever it's plenty long and plenty of drop and steep.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
Is 2900 incorrect? that is what I thought I had heard from a couple locals but, maybe It grew in my mind-whatever it's plenty long and plenty of drop and steep.
I think my GPS had it around 2350 - 2400 from the top of the windmill to the parking lot. Either way, it's a really big mountain with some great trails. Like other have said, it's the best place east of the Mississippi.

SinatorJ

Monkey
Jul 9, 2002
AZ
Man I gotta make it back home this fall, been way to long. Ben I'm workin on a trip to a game and a little ridin opefully sometime in Oct. Now if I can just get Vols tix.

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
Now if I can just get Vols tix.
Nice! Its been awhile homes. Hopefully the Walden Ridge project will be ready for you. Oh, tix this year probably won't be to hard to come by, its a "rebuilding year"....again.