Quantcast

Windham WC in '10

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
That's great news; let's hope the Windham website for the World Cup is a little more informative than the half-assed page they put up for the GES race (because, you know, a GES race and the World Cup are practically the exact same thing).

Interesting that they only list 6 DH races and 5 XC races on that schedule at this point. Something tells me they'll fill out that calendar a little more fully as time goes on. I see a few weeks there at the beginning of August where they could slip in another North American stop, so keep your fingers crossed!

Another note: how badass will it be to see Champery and Val di Sol on back-to-back weekends???!?

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Seriously, this just made my day! SOOO stoked! Not just a World Cup but World Cup muthagrabbin FINALS!

-ska todd

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
How the hell does Windham get the WC finals when that haven't had any races there in years?

Not hating just wondering.

Sooooo pumped to hear this, I can't wait. Bromont, MSA and Windham in one season!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
This thread should become a sticky just so we can all count down the days for the next 14 months and so everyone looking for info can find it here.

-ska todd

bpatterson6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 1, 2004
Colorado
What is the vertical at Windham? I'm stoked for you guys in the East but bummed for us out West. It would be nice to see a WC return to Vail or somewhere in Colorado.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Not just the money - they have some dedicated people that have been working very hard on ths - way to go Hodgie!
Also for schedule and registration for the GES race go to www.windhammountain.com
They could have the hardest working trail crew on the planet, the sickest terrain, the best accommodations, and be an hour from a major airport, but without the money there's no chance of hosting a UCI WC event.

Don't mistake this as me trying to knock their efforts. I heard they had a great track last year and I'm planning on making this year's race.

AlmostHeaven

Turbo Monkey
Jun 8, 2005
VIRGINIA
hahaha! stoked!
I know some fast guys in NY!
Memmelaar, Beneke, Ulmer! home track advantage... kinda...
yeeaaa....home track advantage means nothing in a WC unless you are one of the top 5 boys. Neither of those three stand a chance, sorry to burst the bubble.
Beneke is the oldest guy out of the three and he has the best chance.

What is the vertical at Windham? I'm stoked for you guys in the East but bummed for us out West. It would be nice to see a WC return to Vail or somewhere in Colorado.
Bummed? How? The list of top-class and professional/WC-level events held west of the Mississippi is like 10x that what we have on the East.

Sghost

Turbo Monkey
Jul 13, 2008
NY
How the hell does Windham get the WC finals when that haven't had any races there in years?

Not hating just wondering.

Sooooo pumped to hear this, I can't wait. Bromont, MSA and Windham in one season!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The whole plan for about 7 years now was to build up through the stages to hosting a world cup.

kidwithbike

Monkey
Apr 16, 2007
Hoboken, NJ
yeeaaa....home track advantage means nothing in a WC unless you are one of the top 5 boys. Neither of those three stand a chance, sorry to burst the bubble.
Beneke is the oldest guy out of the three and he has the best chance.

AlmostHeaven, Go to Hell!!! you have killed my hope and dreams!!!

seriously, do you think i am that Naive? my name might be kidwithbike, but i likely am more knowledgeable and have more experience racing DH than you assume.

I was just plugging my friends and BSing.

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
i think memmelaar is gonna win practice fur sure!

but yes this is great news i heard a birdie talkin about this not to long ago... glad to see it in writing. ill be there.

AlmostHeaven

Turbo Monkey
Jun 8, 2005
VIRGINIA
kidwithbike said:
AlmostHeaven, Go to Hell!!! you have killed my hope and dreams!!!

seriously, do you think i am that Naive? my name might be kidwithbike, but i likely am more knowledgeable and have more experience racing DH than you assume.

I was just plugging my friends and BSing.
Haha I know what you meant. Any three of those guys would stomp me in any race; was just thinking aloud while considering the WC field.

I will definitely be crashing the party and continuing the road trip the next week up to Mt Saint Anne.

Last edited:

kidwithbike

Monkey
Apr 16, 2007
Hoboken, NJ
no worries man, i am aware of the realities of the UCI circuit, those guys are my working class heroes. i was just having some fun.

when race time comes around we will do some more realistic **** talking and speculation.

this is gonna be EPIC!

NY_Star

Turbo Monkey
This is a great thing for Downhill in the East. I know from personal experience that last years national went off very well especially for the first race there. I would like to see something done with how they are getting bikes on the lift but other then that it should be great.

WillCollins

Chimp
Jun 7, 2009
Best thing I've heard all week! Good way to start the weekend...

Hopefully they've got a killer marketing department... because I would HATE to see such a rad opportunity for mountain biking in the North East go unheard of to the general public. Windham isn't exactly in a heavily populated region so they better find a way to attract massive quantities of spectators from the more populated areas in order to do this event (and the World Cup) justice...

I've got my fingers crossed...

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Don't know much about Windham, but it's a great location. Will see a good turnout for this one for sure.

1soulrider

Monkey
Apr 16, 2002
nor cal
I didn't make it out to Windham for last year's Nats, but a number of team mates and friends went out.
They all said it was one of the best tracks of the year and everyone had a great time.
Stoked to see a WC in the US next year.

Supa8

Monkey
May 3, 2002
Middle of MA
Amply stoked to give the course next weekend a go at Windham. Quite cool if they use the DH course in 2010 for a WC to compare local times with the big guns.