Quantcast

Why Aren't There Better Shock Pumps?

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
So, on a ride a few weeks ago,I mused about starting a drone-based E-Bike battery drop service. Here is a new market, "never carry tools, water, clothes, etc, ever again! Just choose from any item on the REI website, and we will have it delivered to you within an hour!"
(Requires satellite service plan, starting at $99 a month).
I like it! In my lame life, I'd just take a home delivery in a couple hours. Let alone delivering on the trail! That would be something. Need a new chain? Here ya go! My hands are cold. Need new gloves? Here ya go! :)

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
That conversation actually turned into one about how SAR could use them to deliver small, life saving supplies, assess conditions on the ground, etc. but yeah, eventually they would be delivering weed and tacos.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Doesn't the new EXT fork/shock have some chamber that goes up to 600psi and requires a special shock pump? Wonder if their pump is more durable/better quality the common generic ones? Possibly doesn't have the gauge accuracy needed at lower ranges though

*edit* nevermind it looks pretty generic. Maybe better hose?

View attachment 204161
It's got a braided stainless steel wrap on the hose, but the fittings and pump body itself are standard. It's mostly just a longer stroke/smaller bore version of the same thing as everybody else.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
That conversation actually turned into one about how SAR could use them to deliver small, life saving supplies, assess conditions on the ground, etc. but yeah, eventually they would be delivering weed and tacos.
Wait, aren't weed and tacos small, life saving supplies?! Take my money now!

(I'd also like an option for a mexican pizza. Just sayin)

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Since we're at it can someone make a pump that's at least 25% longer, my giyo puts this little piss fart of air in but only for the last couple off mm stroke.*

I don't need a compact pump so make a longer one that is faster to use, also I like the little bean flicker style for depression the valve.
Cheers bros.

*Yes I understand how pumps work.

Last edited:

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Since we're at it can someone make a pump that's at least 25% longer, my giyo puts this little piss fart of air in but only for the last coue off mm stroke.*

I don't need a compact pump so make a longer one that is faster to use, also I like the little bean flicker style for depression the valve.
Cheers bros.

*Yes I understand how pumps work.
Floor pumps for shocks are so nice when airing up from zero.
IMG_4102.jpeg

IMG_4103.jpeg

IMG_4105.jpeg

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
I hope they share their secrets with cordless drill makers
The secret is keep it mostly between 40-70% and avoid going above 90%. My Fumpa is 4 years old and seems like new. Same for all my Surron batteries. The less precise charge indicators on my power tool batteries make it harder to treat them so perfectly.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
It's the size of two CO2s. How is that not a sweet tool? Smaller, faster, and easier than a handpump. Compared to CO2 it's better for sealant and re-usable.
I might use a pump on the trail once a year. Not something I really care to trust to a battery. I can usually seat a tubeless tire with my hand pump, I seriously doubt one of those can. I do a lot of backcountry rides where an unrideable bike will mean a very long shitty walk. An emergency maintenance tool is not something I would ever really trust to an overly complex luxury doohicky.

Also hand pumping a tire isn't difficult. It is an annoyance for a few minutes.

Also they cost over $100.

Do people here keep an electric impact driver in their car in case they get a flat? Or do they just call roadside assistance?

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I might use a pump on the trail once a year. Not something I really care to trust to a battery. I can usually seat a tubeless tire with my hand pump, I seriously doubt one of those can. I do a lot of backcountry rides where an unrideable bike will mean a very long shitty walk. An emergency maintenance tool is not something I would ever really trust to an overly complex luxury doohicky.

Also hand pumping a tire isn't difficult. It is an annoyance for a few minutes.

Also they cost over $100.

Do people here keep an electric impact driver in their car in case they get a flat? Or do they just call roadside assistance?
Unrelated, but the only time I ever ran out of fuel I had a bike and a Jerry can in the back because I'd been trail building, I was pretty impressed. The fuel gauge was only accurate if it was raining, I could have fixed it but British cars are supposed to have quirks.

The only time I got a flat I had my work toolbag in the car so I had at least one rattle gun, was pretty lucky as the wheel brace was at home.
Dumb luck is my friend.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
From the Fumpa page for the Nano (their smallest): "MTB users, expect 0-30psi after 100 seconds (27.5x2.2"). " Also: "Inflates up to 1-2 tyres on a single charge. "
Sounds pretty risky/stupid to rely on that for trailside flats, but I guess there's people like me who YOLO it and only bring 1x 24g CO2, if they bring anything at all.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I emailed Abbey Tools about this and got a response, which doesn't really help. I'm guessing he didn't read this thread, which I linked to. :rofl: :rofl:

Good Monday morning Chris,

How are you doing today? How was your weekend? Brrr it's cold here today! This tool is a very tricky one to make...well. Everyone makes them(most likely from the exact same overseas supplier). I hope this helps?

Keep the GREEN faith and stay safe,

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
If your suspension requires less than 120psi, just use an air compressor with a clamping chuck from Amazon. Alternatively, just blast the Schrader valve with a rubber pointed air gun tip and it'll fill up all the same at your regulated pressure. Looks funny, but it works totally fine.

Foundation has a clever digital pump that's high volume enough to use as a tire pump and a shock pump. I've been using that on the trail but it's not practical for shop use.

While we're talking about our favorite pump technology (no not THAT kind)...if Presta valves are so great, why aren't we using those on our suspension? Is it maybe that they actually blow dog and have zero purpose except for a narrow road bike rim?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Ah yes, the "if you own a bicycle in this millennia you have to own an air compressor".

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Do you guys do the "every 25psi dance"?

Supposedly you're supposed thrust your gear every 25psi or the negative chamber won't charge right. Something like that...

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

Supposedly you're supposed thrust your gear every 25psi or the negative chamber won't charge right. Something like that...
For shocks and/or forks where the equalization dimple is somewhere around the sag point, yes.

If it's at top-out, not necessary. Or if it's manitou's infuriating one that only equalizes when you attach a pump, also not necessary, but you gotta make sure it's not sagging, otherwise it'll suck down to wherever it is on the trail (happens when it gets colder, etc).

The manitou stuff really needs an external negative spring equalization button or something. You can't over-pressurize and let out a little on the trail because it'll be all d*cked up unless you can equalize the negative too...but you can only do that when you hook up a pump. And to do that, you gotta set the bike on it's side or upside down due to where the valve is.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI

I use the compressor to put 100psi in, then cycle past 30%. Then start pumping and every 50psi I pause and push it past 30%. Get to target pressure, remove pump, and cycle past 30%. Re-attach pump, hit target pressure + 2psi, remove pump, cycle past 30%. Should now be done.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
For shocks and/or forks where the equalization dimple is somewhere around the sag point, yes.

If it's at top-out, not necessary. Or if it's manitou's infuriating one that only equalizes when you attach a pump, also not necessary, but you gotta make sure it's not sagging, otherwise it'll suck down to wherever it is on the trail (happens when it gets colder, etc).

The manitou stuff really needs an external negative spring equalization button or something. You can't over-pressurize and let out a little on the trail because it'll be all d*cked up unless you can equalize the negative too...but you can only do that when you hook up a pump. And to do that, you gotta set the bike on it's side or upside down due to where the valve is.
I haven't had an issue with my Mezzer, but there is no cold weather where I am.
Who has proper dual air, Formula, Cane Creek, any others?

600Psi pump from KCNC-
1701168942140.png
1701168942140.png