Quantcast

Why are bikes so god damned expensive?

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Yesterday I rode my road bike (aka Wookie bike) for the first time in over 6 months. I have only been riding the tri bike or my SB since I started my training. Go figure with all of the weight I've lost and additional strength in my lower back, I don't need the upright position anymore. So now I've got a custom frame that's WAY too upright for riding anything except dragging a trailer.

I have been looking at maybe picking up a new frame and doing the part swap or just getting a full bike to get something more in line with what I want. I'm trying to avoid the big-3 if possible, just because elitist (sp?). My favorite road bike to ride was my Look 585, unfortunately it met an untimely end to a garage door. I found a new, old stock 2010 Look 595 (same bike, seat mast vs. post) but the damn thing is $1895!? It's four f*ing years old!

I have a feeling I'm going to have to go with one of the big-3 though, as it's hard to find used wookie-sized bikes. Bah. /rant

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Your builder might be able to fix/modify the custom frame.
The scrap value of the headtube alone ought to offset costs, too.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Offer a grand.
I'm thinking I might just go that route. It is a shop though, so I doubt they'd bite.

why are you so tall?
Because wookie.

Lower your expectations?
I have a sugar momma and I'm taking advantage of it! Not really, but I do have ~$1k to spend. My parents are very generous gift givers (mostly for IRS reasons) and will be covering a substantial portion of the cost. Yeah to birthday and christmas within a month of each other!

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
They're expensive because upper-middle class morons like us will continue to pay for them so as to not diminish our online credibility as a mountain biker.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Aluminum frame
In that case I'd just hold onto it for when you become older/fatter and it fits again.

A shop thats holding onto a 4yr old, wookie sized, mass produced frame would be foolish to be firm on price. Ask them what the make it go away price is.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
In that case I'd just hold onto it for when you become older/fatter and it fits again.

A shop thats holding onto a 4yr old, wookie sized, mass produced frame would be foolish to be firm on price. Ask them what the make it go away price is.
That was the plan.

I just called thema and the response was 'no'.

Frame 1: http://racycles.com/road/closeouts/specialized/specialized-sworks-tarmac-sl3-2011-frameset
Frame 2: http://racycles.com/road/closeouts/look/look-595-2010-frameset

I know they are cheap vs. retail, but they are still rich for my blood currently.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
price will also always be driven by perceived appeal-to-dr./dentist ratio...
The question is, how many 6'3"+ dr's are going to buy a 4 year old boutique bike frame from an online discount retailer?

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
No matter what you buy riding on the road will still be boring, buy a $100 Huffy frame and keep the rest for a bike you can have fun on.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
If you really want the bike, wait a while, after the leaves have fallen and it starts getting cold. Then, say, after Thanksgiving, walk into the shop when business has slowed down and literally show them the cash. If they have any business sense at all they'll take your offer because, it's been sitting there for way too long, it's not a common size, and most importantly, they want it of their inventory so they don't have to pay taxes on it. At this point it's costing them money to hang on to it. Also do this on a day when the manager is there, and do it 5 minutes till closing.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Is your current bike that bad? Slam the stem and some negative rise? Or are you just being a bike snob?
Top tube is short and I already have a 140mm stem. Not going to work.

If you really want the bike, wait a while, after the leaves have fallen and it starts getting cold. Then, say, after Thanksgiving, walk into the shop when business has slowed down and literally show them the cash. If they have any business sense at all they'll take your offer because, it's been sitting there for way too long, it's not a common size, and most importantly, they want it of their inventory so they don't have to pay taxes on it. At this point it's costing them money to hang on to it. Also do this on a day when the manager is there, and do it 5 minutes till closing.
Online store.

Here you go Cannondale Caad 10 frame set for 475 max and in 63cm. What a steal for a really nice frame

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cannondale-CAAD-10-63-cm-/111490865106?pt=US_Bicycles_Frames&hash=item19f55f97d2
Shooting for Carbon. Thanks for the find though.

Effing steal Buy the damn thing Stoney
Just say NO! to quill.