Quantcast

Whistler and 2005 Marzocchi products.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
vitox said:
so, where is the onepointfive fork that puts the regular steerer forks to shame?

i hope they come out with a fork like that but it certainly hasnt happened, so maybe the potential is there but its not being tapped.
its sorta an intangible benefit, its not like it'll change the forks overall performance being a structural factor. I guess it can save weight in that one little area, but really the fork manufacturers build such different forks with different technologies and weight targets anyways, it pretty much makes it a really minor point and barely comparable.

Like would you really care if a 1.5 steerer on a Z150 helped it save 50 grams? You'd probably care more that you couldn't install it on your bike.

DH Dad

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
MA
You know, come to think about it you don't hear much about ovalized headtubes anymore and I know it's not because every frame out there has a 1.5" headtube. Probably a combination of things, better precision in Headtube dimensions, use of Headlocks over star nuts, frames designed for the intended use. On top of that I've not heard of any steerer tube issues on the Z150. The only other advantage of the 1.5 was the larger bearings for the Headset but just by a CK and be done with it, no need for the larger bearings. I guess the 1.5 allows for shorter headtubes but my 1.125 HT on my RFX is only 4.5" = HT on my 04 DHR (small).

I guess from an engineering standpoint there are other benefits to the 1.5, such as surface area for TT and DT welds but I don't think it's catching on like wildfire. Anyone know if there's even another fork, other than the Breakout, planned for a 1.5 steerer in the future?

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
DH Dad said:
I guess the 1.5 allows for shorter headtubes but my 1.125 HT on my RFX is only 4.5" = HT on my 04 DHR (small).
whats funny is in alot of cases, people needed higher stack heights to clear their top crowns, sometimes making mounting a fork impossible.

firevsh2o

Chimp
Feb 12, 2003
The Magura Thor will be 1.5 but I had a look at it and it looks not that promising. The Breakout will still be the better choice.

you know what's funny? manitou insisted to go with a new standard just to prove that they can do something better than marzocchi, then marzocchi makes forks that are more adaptable, and not any worse. then people complain that marzocchi is playing catch-up BECAUSE it didn't accept the 1.5 standard. honestly, I do not understand the logic of you 1.5 lovers.

let's recap:
marzocchi made bitching forks, so manitou manted a piece of pie. but because manitou owner said in the past that 4 inch sc forks are stupid and undoable, they dream up a marketing scheme to make a bigger(walla, ammerican riders just love bigger everything to prove something that no one else cares about) headtube that looks like a beer can. Now marzocchi says, oh yeah? we will make the z150, the 66, and we STill use 1 1/8 because we don't need all that flashy number game. guess what? the z150 was awsome from most people that i have heard riding them, the 66 looks very promising, and now the manitou lovers are bashing marzocchi for not be "with it"'.

well screw you guys, I'm going home and ride my 1 1/8 steer-tubed death trap that weighs 5 lbs and i can still do drops and ride fast, it's called the shiver sc. from what i know the z150 might kill you too because being good with what you have is obviously bad because you have to change, other wise you will just be playing "catch-up" for the rest of eternity.

well, once again, quoting eric cartman:
screw you guys, I'm going home

and ride