Quantcast

Whistler and 2005 Marzocchi products.

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
First impressions- Tires look like classic Marz form over function, we will see how they perform. That new All Mountain crown looks whack with the hollow cut-outs. I like the sound of the 66, though I can't help wonder about strength. Over all, looks pretty good to me.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
I think they gave us exactly what everybody was complaining about last year.
On the Z1, Super T, etc.. they are giving you a real 20mm axle.
And they are giving all you weirdos, a real 20mm 6 or 7 inch single crown with the 888's damping.
Believe it or not, I am most excited about the all mountain 1 for myself.
For 04, there was a gap in the line for a highend trailbike fork inbetween the lightweight Marathon and the burly Z1.
That all-mountain 1 sounds perfect for a bike like the 5-spot.
But I will take mine in Black please. :blah:
And I also read that they came out with new crowns for the 888.
If that is true, what will we have to talk about all day? :)

spookymilk

Chimp
Jul 1, 2004
Salmon Arm, B.C.
I agree with Kadvang, those Marzocchi tires look more oriented at looking good then working good. Since the 2003 run of forks, it seems Marzocchi's quality has gone down from them...I've heard alot of horror stories about how poorly the 888's come as (ungreased bolts and not enough oil). Hopefully, if there are new crowns for the 888, they actually lower the ride height, a bad characteristic of the 888's right now. The 66 seems like Marzocchi's response to the Breakout+, I think Marzocchi is playing catch-up with Manitou right now, and this 66 might end up being a poor fork because it might have been something hastily put together to challenge the Breakout+. Hopefully it turns out good, even though I won't buy one myself.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
I wonder whats up with the Kona bike pictured with ^^ fork, it looks like it's called the Garbanzo SE...Maybe it's a special bike (re-badged Stinky?) that was made for the Garbanzo opening?

As far as the forks...they are lookin' good! I hope they are workin' good too! The tires looked like they were a hard (60) rubber compound, if they were tacky they'd hook up good for sure almost regardless of the "M" logo'd tread design. Why does Marz have to "M" everything? First arches, then crowns and now tires! They already have really strong branding as is...

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Man, I wish i had the super genious of some of the members of this board. Imagine being able to tell how well a tire works just by looking at it...wow.

I wonder if companies are starting to hire for internet engineer positions yet?

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
I'm first in line if one pops up :D. I don't think anyone (at least I wasn't) was saying the tires were going to be awful, we (can I say we :p) were saying that the tires looked like Marz put form over function, which may work perfectly well in this application, but has posed troubles in the past (M-arch, huge M shaped 888 crowns, etc.) Maybe it will be a great tire, maybe it won't, but in the meantime speculation makes the world go round...

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Roasted said:
Punk, yeah it is. The mountain rents them out. Just like in previous years we had Kona Joyrides...rebadged Stabs :)
I thought the Joyride was a Sinky, then they stepped it up to the Garbonzo stab?

Whatever....The Whistler rental bikes are retardely nice. I was looking at them, and everything is totally top notch. (a step up from last year because they have E13's instead of MRP's). You wouldn't have to change a thing on them...

But the rental bikes are probably nicer than half the bikes on the mountain...

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
dropmachine.com said:
Man, I wish i had the super genious of some of the members of this board. Imagine being able to tell how well a tire works just by looking at it...wow.

I have to admit that I too feel like the tire tread is a little...contrived. It was my gut instinct anyway. It does seem like it was jsut an excuse to put a logo somewhere. Of course it has yet to be seen. I don;t like to pre-judge...

Except of course that the Fox DH fork will be the best ever.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
punkassean said:
I wonder whats up with the Kona bike pictured with ^^ fork, it looks like it's called the Garbanzo SE...Maybe it's a special bike (re-badged Stinky?) that was made for the Garbanzo opening?

its more than strictly a rebadge affair, kona is into having their distros or in this case a huge rental shop, spec their own models based on the components and frames they already use, and create a kona of their own.

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
MMike said:
I thought the Joyride was a Sinky, then they stepped it up to the Garbonzo stab?

Whatever....The Whistler rental bikes are retardely nice. I was looking at them, and everything is totally top notch. (a step up from last year because they have E13's instead of MRP's). You wouldn't have to change a thing on them...

I am pretty sure it was a stab (it was in 2002 when I was looking at buying one anyways, not sure about 2003)...but I think the Garbonzo is a stab. Just by the way the shock is leaning in its funny way :)...(who cares either way....dead sexy :D for a rental bike)

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
vitox said:
its more than strictly a rebadge affair, kona is into having their distros or in this case a huge rental shop, spec their own models based on the components and frames they already use, and create a kona of their own.
Its still just a stab frame though. Just totally repainted and sponsored by Kona...(so I guess it is its own oem special frame)

S.G.D

Monkey
Jun 14, 2002
Vancouver
dropmachine.com said:

not genius, just common sense i guess.

im not saying they are bad tires, they just look like they are more show less go. but for all i know it could be made of UBER rubber that rolls like a slick, stops like an F1 car and corners like it's on rails...

but what do i know...
~SGD

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
Roasted said:
I am pretty sure it was a stab (it was in 2002 when I was looking at buying one anyways, not sure about 2003)...but I think the Garbonzo is a stab. Just by the way the shock is leaning in its funny way :)...(who cares either way....dead sexy :D for a rental bike)
Garbonzos are stabs for sure. (they say "stab" on them...somewhere).

But my bro rented a Joyride last season for a couple of days. It had a Jr. T, which is why I was assuming it was a Stinky....(just to balance it out, travel-wise)... But I couldn't say for sure......

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
MMike said:
I just had a flashback to my first trip to Whistler, circa 2001, when they rented 6"x6" Stabs and some other 4"x4" bike, both of which had V-brakes! Anyway, the new rental bikes sure are nice. If my bike were out of commission, I would happily ride a Stab Garbonzo.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
MMike said:
Garbonzos are stabs for sure. (they say "stab" on them...somewhere).

But my bro rented a Joyride last season for a couple of days. It had a Jr. T, which is why I was assuming it was a Stinky....(just to balance it out, travel-wise)... But I couldn't say for sure......
For the record, Stinky's and Stab's are the same frame. Kona prints in their literature that the Stab's have slightly different geometry then athe Stinky's but in reality they are the same. For instance, Kona labels the Stab sizes as small medium and long. Where as the Stinky's are sm(15)md(17)lg(18)xl(19)xxl(20). according to the specs, a size long Stab has the same stand over as a medium Stab but with the longer TT of the large Stinky. In reality a long Stab is a large Stinky, every measurement is the same. So the Joyrides are claimed to be a Stab but since the parts are custom as are the decals, it's just a 7" travel Kona...Either way, killer rental bikes! I rode one last year for a day and it felt like I was on my own bike.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
The regular Stab (not Primo) and Stinky Deluxe/Primo are indentical. The base Stinky gets only 6" and the Stab Primo have 8/9", but both the Stab and Stinky Deluxe/Primo are made from the same tubeset and have the same geometry and the same 7" of suspension via the same shock.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
You gotta love MTBR :rolleyes: look at this response;

"Man....this makes me want to go to whistler even more! Now I don’t know what I wanna use on my Bullit...a 66 or a Shiver. Hmmm, thx for the info, and really sweet pics....love the last one"

HAHHAHAHA as if the 66 and the shiver are designed for the same intended use. Anyway this makes me want to hit up whistler so bad now. I think that the "M" tires look pretty cool somewhat reminiscent of the classic ritchey z max which i still use on the xc bike they work well. My only question for zoch is why in the hell did they produce a 3.0? Is there really a market for those? As soon as someone even mentions one on this board they get flamed on hardcore. Just makes me wonder how much marzocchi pays attention to the market that actually rides...

Leethal

Turbo Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Avondale (Phoenix)
I wonder what the axle to crown height is on the 66? I mean if you look at the z1 150 or whatever it is called it is as tall as the empire state building.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
S.G.D said:
not genius, just common sense i guess.

im not saying they are bad tires, they just look like they are more show less go. but for all i know it could be made of UBER rubber that rolls like a slick, stops like an F1 car and corners like it's on rails...

but what do i know...
~SGD
Oh c'mon, Marz has *never* opted for form over function. Their M-Arch never caused tire-clearance issues, their M-Crown never raised the axle-to-crown height by an inch or more, and I'm highly confident that the use of the letter M was based solely on the letters rolling and gripping properties. If the letter Q was scientifically proven to hook up better in loose sandy soil I'm sure they would've put that on instead, marketing be damned.

(Actually, they do look slow to me, judging by the space between the Ms and the fact that they're non-ramped design. but that's just me, I'll have to wait to see what MBA says about them before I rush to judgement. :thumb: )

Incubus

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
Boston, MA
manhattanprjkt83 said:
...My only question for zoch is why in the hell did they produce a 3.0? Is there really a market for those? As soon as someone even mentions one on this board they get flamed on hardcore. Just makes me wonder how much marzocchi pays attention to the market that actually rides...
For one, it's unlikely that their 3.0 will measure 3 inches. But to answer your question, yes there is a market for them. Mostly made up of the same group of people that hem and haw about whether to run their Shivers or their 666 (that's more core than 66) at whistler. Now if only they'd make them in 3.0 x 24". I've got a pair of Green double-wides just waiting for the right tires. :think: :evil:

spookymilk said:
The 66 seems like Marzocchi's response to the Breakout+, I think Marzocchi is playing catch-up with Manitou right now, and this 66 might end up being a poor fork because it might have been something hastily put together to challenge the Breakout+. Hopefully it turns out good, even though I won't buy one myself.
okay, the Z150 was the answer to the breakout, and it turned out beautifully. The 66 is not gonna be that bad. IMHO. and the flat black looks very understated, and that's sick :)

quality going down since 2003? i don't know where you've benn but i seem to vaguely recall some forks like the FR, the shiver dc/sc, the monster, the marathon, andthe 888, the Z150. Yeah, those sure are crappy forks alright :think:

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
manhattanprjkt83 said:
My only question for zoch is why in the hell did they produce a 3.0? Is there really a market for those? As soon as someone even mentions one on this board they get flamed on hardcore. Just makes me wonder how much marzocchi pays attention to the market that actually rides...
Go to Whistler on any given weekend - 3.0 Gazzi's and 24's all over the place....

BTW, the Marz tire are made by Gazzi...

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
spookymilk said:
I agree with Kadvang, those Marzocchi tires look more oriented at looking good then working good. Since the 2003 run of forks, it seems Marzocchi's quality has gone down from them...I've heard alot of horror stories about how poorly the 888's come as (ungreased bolts and not enough oil). Hopefully, if there are new crowns for the 888, they actually lower the ride height, a bad characteristic of the 888's right now. The 66 seems like Marzocchi's response to the Breakout+, I think Marzocchi is playing catch-up with Manitou right now, and this 66 might end up being a poor fork because it might have been something hastily put together to challenge the Breakout+. Hopefully it turns out good, even though I won't buy one myself.

so let me understand what you are saying, marzo is playing catch-up to manitou because they are now releasing a 6,5" travel fork?

following that logic, EVERYBODY is now playing catch-up to dan hanebrink and jan karpiel, yes because they had long travel dh forks and frames way before everyone else, right?

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Snacks said:
Go to Whistler on any given weekend - 3.0 Gazzi's and 24's all over the place....

BTW, the Marz tire are made by Gazzi...

I dont want to get into the great 3.0 tire debate but they are just overkill FOR ANYTHING. I am suprised marzocchi is jumping into such a small market, i know on the east coast 3.0" used to be the rage and now they are the subject of humor. Most likely because riders skills improved and relized that they werent needed.

Vitox said:
so let me understand what you are saying, marzo is playing catch-up to manitou because they are now releasing a 6,5" travel fork?

following that logic, EVERYBODY is now playing catch-up to dan hanebrink and jan karpiel, yes because they had long travel dh forks and frames way before everyone else, right?
this is just not a reasonable way of thinking, marzocchi thought the 1.5 standard would pass and it isnt, they are trying to compete...

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
manhattanprjkt83 said:
this is just not a reasonable way of thinking, marzocchi thought the 1.5 standard would pass and it isnt, they are trying to compete...

ah ok the 1,5 thing, well i hadnt realized you meant that they were playing catchup because of the head tube standard

but, you know what, im not too sure about the whole onepointfive thing, i mean, on paper it seems like both a great idea and advantage, but in the real world i feel it hasnt translated into any superior products

for instance, the z150sl.
i havent ridden one (would spring for one if it wasnt for the dumb axle) but its a really light fork and i havent heard any complaints that could indicate that the 6" travel 1 1/8" SC fork is a bad idea, as for the damping and quality, well, its a top shelf marzocchi, jury might still be out on which brand has the best forks but no one could say that marzo makes bad forks.

so, where is the onepointfive fork that puts the regular steerer forks to shame?

i hope they come out with a fork like that but it certainly hasnt happened, so maybe the potential is there but its not being tapped.