Quantcast

Where are the parts???

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
So it seems to me that there is a lower availability of bicycle products across the board....I regularly do a brousing of a couple of distributers and it seems like a LOT of things are out of stock....from handle bars to chain guides, tires to stems, cranks, headsets, spare parts....things are just NOT available....

SO...no parts available = no sales!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am curious about the bike industry in general about this type of situation...

Obviously mfgs want to limit liability so they produce conservatively. Yet on the other hand, this biz (in particular) has embraced the decline of pre-ordering and commitment to production at both the retail and mfg level.

This means that both retailer and mfg limit laibilty and on hand stock, yet the consumer looses...nothing to buy benefits no one!!!!!

I see retail shops with literally zero inventory, relying on the mfg to have 'ready to ship' product..yet the mfg dont produce until the order come in.

I am just thinking that everyone would be better off if some earlier commitments were made by retailers, so that mfgs could get products made and into shops at a reasonable time.

I live in one of the crappiest climates for spring weather and riding, yet even here, the consumer interest is focused on new products and the up comming summer.

Why are people with $$ in their hand turned away or forced to purchace 'something that will work' because what they truely want is not available.

Are so many retailers so out of touch as to not pre-book a 'ton' of sure sell items???????

Just as a comparison.... as a buyer in similar industry(past life), I had to commit my purchaces almost a full year in advance to get product...seems like a bit of this would be a good thing for the bike industry.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I have heard that there was a huge increase in sales this year and most suppliers like Shimano are struggling to meet the OEM demand. That coupled with the rising raw materials costs is making it very hard to keep everyone happy. It seems like some client prioritizing is going on because there isn't enough product for everyone. Many people are already sold out due to many new countries making orders.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
So that bring back the question; should retailers be required to commit earlier to secure product and share the liability? IMO they have had it to easy the last few years, relying on excess (and immediatly available) product to feed their season.

Problem is, that the real loosers in this scenario are the consumers!!

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I agree but it is hard to convince the ones who have had it easy to commit. The dealers and distributors in other new and developing countries have had it hard these last few years to even "get" parts let alone parts at a decent price. So these guys that have had it hard in the past did a bunch of pre-orders which represents the increase in overall sales. This plus the fact that the southern hemisphere has a growing bike scene and their season starts way before the US leads to the situation where there are no parts left because in reality the global season has already started months ago even if people think it is just starting right now. Pre-orders will be the only way one can assure to have anything to sell.