Quantcast

When do you stop supporting LBS?

Blieb

Chimp
Apr 14, 2003
In Yo Face!
Ok. I'm having a dilemma.

I'm all about everyone making a living, and supporting the LBS. But right now there's a bunch of things I want to do to my bike, #1 is that I need new wheels. I can get recommended wheels for about $135 less online, new.

I really don't want to piss the LBS owner off, but I know this type of going behind his back has pissed him off in the past. But man, $135 will get me a new seat-post and good chunk towards new stem, which I would get from the shop.

If I get ass-rabbed on the wheels I won't be able to afford to do anything else.

Basically the LBS is good to me and I don't want to piss 'em off, 'cause I go there like 3-4 times a week. I consider them friends, just don't like getting bent over and spanked.

So at what point do you order things elsewhere? I'd rather ME have the $135 than HIM have it, although, he'll get it sooner or later, I spend all my $ there!

Sorry for long post, I'm done ranting now :)

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Meh, I'm sort of in the "I want to cut off the LBS" rut as well. Not because of the prices, but more or less cause most bike shops are LBS (Lotsa bull****). It's rare you come across one that doesn't have an LBS policy, but if I do, I dump all of my money into them :D

If you really cannot afford the LBS, go online, otherwise, take a little hit and buy from them (Provided you like them...).

Blieb

Chimp
Apr 14, 2003
In Yo Face!
Alexis - yeah .. I know them from cycling first, hanging out second. They're a good shop, they do right by me most of the time.

Great group of people. But I just dropped over 3k there in the last 2 months on a new road bike. And I'd like to get away with some $ for ME!!!

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
If you have a good relationship with the shop I'd tell him what price you found online and that you are also looking to get a stem and seatpost and see if they'll give you a package deal. You may have to spend a couple bucks more than if you went online but everyone would win in the end. If they refuse to cut you even a little break given your needs and your spending habits then get used to buying online and doing your own maintenance.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
1. Discount mail-order wheels might be exactly the same components as your shop is offering, but the most important element of wheels is the wheel build. The cheap wheels are laced and trued in a machine. They might not even be true and the lifespan of the wheel will be much less. Keep in mind that the wheels you buy from a LBS might also be machine built.

2. On that note, loyalty to a LBS is not a blood bond. Other shops might have another opinion, but I expect people to buy stuff from other shops and the Internet. First, I would like the chance to match prices. Second, I hope you would buy your bikes through me.

But things like tires I expect to lose some business to the competition.

Blieb

Chimp
Apr 14, 2003
In Yo Face!
Sanjuro,

Thanks for the insider insight!!!

They do have a master wheel builder ... he's awesome ... he told me the new machine built wheels are done so well, that it's not worth it having him do up a set ...

I'll go try to get the big-man to come off the price a little, I don't mind paying more than mail-order or online ... but you feel what I'm saying ... :)

Thanks ya'll,

-Blieb

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
As sanjuro said, the quality of a wheel is all in the build. I build my own, but if I was having them built, I'd want someone local who takes pride in building a wheelset for me, rather than some dude on the internet that builds 50 wheels a day and doesn't know or care who is riding on them.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Echo said:
As sanjuro said, the quality of a wheel is all in the build. I build my own, but if I was having them built, I'd want someone local who takes pride in building a wheelset for me, rather than some dude on the internet that builds 50 wheels a day and doesn't know or care who is riding on them.
I've ordered a few wheelsets off the net (I think 2 were machine built, 1 was hand), and they all lasted me just fine, I think because I had them retensioned when I got them.

The funny thing in, both of the wheelsets I've bought from an LBS (two different shops) have died on me. I know a lot has to do with the wheelbuilder...but still...

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
thats true. wheelset quality had a lot to do with the builder.
and not necesarilly your LBS will have a better builder than a mail order store...

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
I'd agree with maybe trying to cut some sort of a package deal, I dont mind spending more if its not much more but 135 bucks is kind of a big difference for something like a wheelset. Plus if you are going to be spending money you saved at the bikeshop they arent really loosing that much money. If I worked at a bikeshop I dont think I could rationalize being mad at somebody buying some parts online or from other people if it saves them a lot of money, especially if you are usually a pretty good customer.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
I don't understand the problem some people have with buying outside their LBS...give them a chance to compete with the price and if they can't than do whats best for you. If hte bike shop is a good shop IMO then they wouldn't get mad at you....any bike shop that takes it personal is completely unprofessional to me...D

BuddhaRoadkill

I suck at Tool
Feb 15, 2004
Chintimini Bog
Blieb said:
I really don't want to piss the LBS owner off, but I know this type of going behind his back has pissed him off in the past.
Sounds like he's not adapting to the new marketplace very well. Guilt, while effective in the short term, is a bad business model. No one can fault you for saving $135 bones by going online. $5, $10, $20 bucks difference and I just buy it at the shop. They do take care of me extremely well, but they understand large savings. They might be bummed, but they know it's not personal and they don't get mad AT me. The situation maybe, but not me. You can be both a loyal consumer and a smart one.

I'm curious as to why this guy got mad. Was it a simple ethos of online being evil? Was it because he wasn't offered the chance to price match, or package deal some items? Did the person try on clothes/shoes and then buy them online?

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Meh... I buy from my LBS and on line and don't really care about the shop owners feelings because it is a business relationship. I always give them a chance to meet or better an on line price and for the most part they are able to. I end up spending about 75% of my cycling $$$ at my LBS and I thinks thats plenty.

Recent purchases from the LBS include a trainer for 165.00 that I could have gotten on line for $135.00 but... it was in the shop and I wanted it NOW.

Late last year I bought a FOX Vanilla RSL Fork and a Vanilla R coil from the shop and didn't even bother looking around because I'll need the shop for any warranty issues I might have.

Last month I bought a new Brooks saddle that I tried to order off the internet from a variety of places for Under $180.00 but... no on line dealer could deliver without a backorder so I had my LBS order it for me at a cost ofr $189.00 plus tax and shipping. I choked but what can you do? Their book cost was $135.00.

Recent internet purchases include tubes for $3.00 each and a set of tires.

Last summer when I went tubeless for my XC bike I actually found the best price here on RM from a buy & sell placed by Echo's LBS. :cool:

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
I would say get evorything from your LBS and they will(or should) start hooking you up, if they know you are going to spend ALL your bike/parts money there they should start cutting you deals knowing that you will keep buying from them. that seemed to work well for me I.M.O. i mean i jest bought all my stuff there and by the time i started working there(thanks sanjuro) i didnt even ask for deals i jest got them

Nate at RIT

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
bending stuff in the ROC
My shop has always taken care of me (we're talking $150 off the best online price for a frameset, $100 off the best online price for a fork), and I try to buy there whenever I can. However, I know what he can and can't do. He tries to match prices when he can, but some things he can't come close to and we both realize that. He's not offended when I buy online. We have a great friendship, and I pretty much try and buy stuff there when I can (less than $20 difference), and online when he'd have to sell it to me less than what he would pay for it.

Blieb

Chimp
Apr 14, 2003
In Yo Face!
BuddhaRoadkill said:
I'm curious as to why this guy got mad. Was it a simple ethos of online being evil? Was it because he wasn't offered the chance to price match, or package deal some items? Did the person try on clothes/shoes and then buy them online?
Yeah I'm not sure why either. There has to be some more to the story I suppose.

I went and talked to him. Right now there's a Performance 20% off coupon, which makes the wheels about an extra 100 off. I went and talked to him, he can't match the price, but he came off the wheels a little. People have been paying ~675 for them ...

I'll take the bike by and let them do it. I usually avoid labor charges, and don't get charged for truing ... since I need some other new stuff, it all works out I suppose.

*whips out credit card*

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Blieb said:
Yeah I'm not sure why either. There has to be some more to the story I suppose.

I went and talked to him. Right now there's a Performance 20% off coupon, which makes the wheels about an extra 100 off. I went and talked to him, he can't match the price, but he came off the wheels a little. People have been paying ~675 for them ...

I'll take the bike by and let them do it. I usually avoid labor charges, and don't get charged for truing ... since I need some other new stuff, it all works out I suppose.

*whips out credit card*
That is what I am talking about! You got an internet price, and you gave the shop a chance to match. 'Nuff Said.

=[Stinky]=

I like bagels and turkey sandwiches
Sep 9, 2001
Atlanta YEAAAHHH!
The mail order site on your computer box cant install those nifty new cranks on your bike, the night before a race. the LBS is generally a wealth of unbiased information. Not all the bike stuff is cheap. Its all the distributers and stuff in the process. The LBS isnt able to purchase 100 wheelsets at a time to get bulk pricing. Theres no way to compete when mailorder is offering deals at just a little over what a shop has to purchase the same parts for.

I dont give love for mail order stuff...

Ill stand behind anything I have done. I love rebuilding mailorderd "hand laced" wheelsets, only 2 rides in half the spokes loosend all the waaay up. There was no spoke prep or thread lock on the spokes, on more than 2 or 3 different wheelsets. There is no one to go and talk to when you have an issue, or warranty... Its just low quality. Thats all Im gonna say in this thread.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
=[Stinky]= said:
the LBS is generally a wealth of unbiased information.
Eh...depends on the shop.

Shops that relentlessly push their own stuff, even if it is crap and they know its crap bother me. Or Elitist shops...etc...

I have sort of a question...for those of you who ride on a shop's team (you know, you had to actually give them a race resume), what kind of deals do you get, and what are you required to do in return?

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
my shops cool, but I go online for the stuff I know they don't have, and will take them weeks to order, otherwise the "buy it, ride it now, and pay only a few dollors more then you could to have it shipped from an online store" is desireable.

J

JRB

My shop GAVE me a new 36 tooth ring for my compact road cranks today. In return, I brought a bike home and built it for a friend of the owner's. If it doesn't make him much money, i.e. Shimano parts, I get them online. That being said, he is getting me some Ultegra shifters, and I am sure they will be priced right. If he sells the bike I want, I will get a hook up, but I won't ask him to sell stuff at stupid margins just for me. I buy most stuff online, and have a great relationship with the shop. Most things have to be ordered anyway, since Temple won't support much high end stuff. If I have to wait on shipping, I might as well save money on tax. I hate to take business, but remember that the reason they charge what they do is to make money. If they drop the price, they don't get good margins, and we all know that with overhead, shops don't make a ton.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
I am really good friends with my LBS owner.. she even came to my wedding...

but I would ask her if she could do better on the price and come close to the online price.. if she could great ..if ot then I would tell her that i cant spend that much of a difference. any normal person would understand that logic. also keep in mind.. she doesnt charge me to put items on..with a wheel set its no big deal .. but in the future it may..
and make surte you go back to the lbs next time u need something this way they dont think your avoiding them.. it is an uncomfortable feeling at first but they will get over it

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
I have been on the shop side of your situation. Honesty is what you should be most concerned with. You can't argue with a $135 savings. Tell you mechanic the truth. They are going to see the wheels at some point, so you might as well be forward. Don't be afraind to tell him thta you used the savings to buy specific parts from the LBS. A good shop will also stand behind a wheelset 100%. You can't get that online.
Just be careful. I have seen some pretty suspect online wheels.

GravityFreakTJ

leg shavin roadie
Jul 14, 2003
at a road race near you
blue said:
I have sort of a question...for those of you who ride on a shop's team (you know, you had to actually give them a race resume), what kind of deals do you get, and what are you required to do in return?

Well,the shop i ride for(in my sig) and i have a great relationship.I get killer pricing but if i need something (big ticket) i always,and mean always ask him first if he can come close.If he's in the ballpark i buy it there.But when we are talking 75 bucks and up i buy online.He totally understands.Its just business.He knows i buy everything there i can but he also knows if i save 100 bucks online he will get it eventually :rolleyes: .Whats required in turn is representing the shop well,not making an ass outta yourself at the races.If someone wants to take a spin on my bike i let em.If they like it i tell to go see my shop they will take good care of him.Kind of a rollin billboard.You can be the fastest guy in the world but if your a dick my shop wouldn't want you riding for them.

ridecruz888

Chimp
Feb 8, 2005
man, most everyone on here is gonna say not to support a LBS. there are those of us who arent online 24/7 and dont only like a place to buy from, but a place to hang out and meet other riders. Now if your LBS is Performance or some big company, thats a totally different issue.

J

JRB

ridecruz888 said:
man, most everyone on here is gonna say not to support a LBS. there are those of us who arent online 24/7 and dont only like a place to buy from, but a place to hang out and meet other riders. Now if your LBS is Performance or some big company, thats a totally different issue.
uhm - I shopped online before I posted on RM. I learned a lot from onine stuff, so I owe the shops a debt of gratitude. :think:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
If you can buy it online for cheaper than do so, I don't pay for my friends. If they are going to wrench on it a little bit, they'd do it for free if you are a friend. If you are a customer then they'll charge a bit. Either way a part is a part and wrenching on a bike is simple to begin with. Lacing a wheel is a different story. If you can buy the wheels laced and ready to go do it, ask a buddy to check the tension on the spokes for you or pay a little bit and have it looked at.
I moved to a small town from Los Angeles, and this buy valley crap they are pulling is the most overturned economy. They pay minimum wage and charge 1/2 again more than elswhere. So I say if you can save the money and apply it where you need it then do so, If the guy at the local bike shop gets buttsore tell him to get some preperation H.
My attitude unfortunently is bad right now, I sold my car audio store and glass shop so my wife could be by her parents and finish schooling for her career and I've been in business too long to deal with this crap.
Economy is moving product. Move more for less instead of trying to get it all on 1 item, thats corporate mentality and it is whats happening all over.
So sorry if I offended anyone, it was my philosophy at my shop and at my glass shop both places put atleast one if not 2 competitors out of business because of this practice and I did a crapload of business and got bigger price breaks due to the sheer volume I moved.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Blieb said:
but I know this type of going behind his back has pissed him off in the past
:rolleyes: Go in there tell him you have "X" amount of money and you need "so and so" parts. If your a good repeat customer and he cant hook you up then get them the only way you can. If he gives you $hit then just tell him, "hey man I gave you a chance, this was the only way I could get the parts I need". Besides, its a fuhking free country, you can buy parts online if you damn well please. What gives him the right to get "pissed off" because you didnt give him your business... thats bad business. A shop owner that did that sh!t to me would get 0% of my future money.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Serial Midget said:
Meh... I buy from my LBS and on line and don't really care about the shop owners feelings because it is a business relationship. I always give them a chance to meet or better an on line price and for the most part they are able to. I end up spending about 75% of my cycling $$$ at my LBS and I thinks thats plenty.
:thumb:

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
The markup on bikes and components is huge. My LBS is not going away anytime soon (They've sold 8 '04 Stinkys in the last 2 weeks!). I pass it on my way home everyday and usually stop in and grab a water or buy a little sumpin sumpin which has led to me buying a hardtail, a new fork, wheelset, pedals, etc (that I told the owner I can get online and he matches prices and still makes money) The place always has 10-20 people in there hangin out and doing the same thing. I know people love the experience of their LBS, BS with the mechanics, seeing who's riding when and where, but still want to save money...

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
To be honest, I'm not interested in "supporting" an LBS. I'm interested in riding my bike. If that requires that I go to the LBS for something, so be it - I'll go to the LBS.

If I can get stuff online cheaper and do it myself, I'll do that.

They're in the business of figuring out how to make a living selling bikes & bike stuff. I'm in the business of enjoying myself riding my bike. If those two intersect, then we'll do business together.

-S.S.-

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
I stopped going to the LBS when I got tired of being treated like some low life peasant scum because my bikes weren't as nice as the bikes the shop employees had.

I don't go into the LBS often enough to develop a "relationship" with them so I don't get those cool friend price breaks. The only time I go to the LBS is if I need something right away, and then just figure that the higher price is the price of convenience.

Personally I don't have enough disposable income to pay a higher price so that someone else can stay in business. After all, the LBS isn't going to help me with my rent if I am short on cash. I need every penny I can get, just like Mr. LBS owner. If my LBS wants my business they'll have to earn it, and so far they haven't done that.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
SkaredShtles said:
They're in the business of figuring out how to make a living selling bikes & bike stuff. I'm in the business of enjoying myself riding my bike. If those two intersect, then we'll do business together.
-
That's very true. Cactus Bikes here in Phoenix has been very aggressive online and still runs a killer shop, unlike my LBS Slippery Pig who has sat on their hands in that area. If they go down, it's their fault...

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
stinkyboy said:
That's very true. Cactus Bikes here in Phoenix has been very aggressive online and still runs a killer shop, unlike my LBS Slippery Pig who has sat on their hands in that area. If they go down, it's their fault...
Absolutely. I recently found out that my *first* LBS is apparently doing a pretty brisk online business. And I would suspect that the online stuff would allow them enough volume to offer their local customers good prices as well.

Adapt or die, as the saying goes.........

-S.S.-