Quantcast

When do you stop supporting LBS?

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
stinkyboy said:
The markup on bikes and components is huge.
This is just not true with bikes, and less true with components than it used to be. Bike shops rarely make money from basic bike sales. They might get a 25-30% margin. Maybe, usually less. With that margin they need to pay the rent (don't forget storage space), insurance, and utilities as well as the salaries of the dude that took it off the truck, the dude that built it, the dude that sold it (and sometime commissions too), the dude that's gonna "deliver" it when they come to pick it up, and the dude that's gonna give it at least one free tune-up. Do the math.

As for parts, yeah the customary markup is pretty big but few bike shops can get away with it any more, especiall with all the e-comparing.

Wanna make a small fortune owning a bike shop? Start with a big one.

For me this whole debate turns on the quality of the LBS. It's ridiculous to generalize about all bike shops, they can be so different. Most can agree that the world would be fine with fewer crappy shops. Few would argue that a good LBS is a bad thing. For anyone that likes bikes, a good bike shop should be an important, desireable part of your local community, and I say support them however you can.

Or maybe you would rather see another starbucks/borders/taco bell in your neighborhood so you can fuel up like all the other lemmings before you hit the aisles and try to find disc brake pads at the Walmart or Costco on the Friday before a race weekend... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
I just bought a $1400 Cameleon for $550. The owner "just wanted his money out of it" and did me a huge favor. Had I paid full price I could have only hoped for a "reach around"...

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Ciaran said:
I stopped going to the LBS when I got tired of being treated like some low life peasant scum because my bikes weren't as nice as the bikes the shop employees had.
So you don't think it has anything to do with you wearing chick pants?:think:

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
I talked to the owner of my LBS last night and he told me he's not trying to get rich. He makes only $30,000/year but loves going to work and he get's a new mountain and new road bike every year.

Also, I hear ya Ciaran, there's an elitist roadie shop in town that I made the mistake of buying a bike (MTB of course) at a few years ago and no one there wanted to even speak to me after they got paid for it. Landis sux!

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
SkaredShtles said:
To be honest, I'm not interested in "supporting" an LBS. I'm interested in riding my bike. If that requires that I go to the LBS for something, so be it - I'll go to the LBS.

If I can get stuff online cheaper and do it myself, I'll do that.

They're in the business of figuring out how to make a living selling bikes & bike stuff. I'm in the business of enjoying myself riding my bike. If those two intersect, then we'll do business together.

-S.S.-
^^this guy knows what's up.^^

how come this type of discussion doesn't come up about other stores, such as ice cream shops or music stores? if you find something you want at a price you want to pay, you get it.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Brian HCM#1 said:
So you don't think it has anything to do with you wearing chick pants?:think:
I am never, ever going to live that one down. Well, at least I didn't post pix of myself in chick pants. coughcoughcaptainpollutioncoughcough

Even though I don't currently support my LBS, I always give 'em a shot when I move into a new community. When I was in Whittier I went to the LBS there. They were good knowledgeable guys who also rode locally and lived locally. I didn't get much of a price break but I got great service and advice. Sadly the shops in Pasadena have not proved themselves as worthy. Of course my going into the roadie shop looking for disk brake parts probably didn't endear me to them much. (I went to two other LBS's looking for parts first)

And not all online retailers are big mega conglomerate monsters. Some, as has been mentioned, are an LBS who happens to also do online sales. Or are like Unreal Cycles who are online only but is essentially an LBS as he's just a guy who loves bikes. So while I may not support MY local bike shop, I support somones local bike shop. And now that I am on here and have met some of the folks on here, I would rather give Go-Ride a chance to be my LBS than say, SuperGo. Part of it for me is convenience. I prefer to shop online rather than in a store. Part of it is the cost. I am at a point in my life where every penny counts. If I can save a couple of hundred dollars over the course of a year, well, that's money going into my house fund. And I get less grief from the GF about all the bike stuff I buy. :D