Quantcast

What's the deal with the Session backorder???

RPG

Monkey
Jun 14, 2004
All over New England
Mine was supposed to come in by March, then it got pushed back to April, now it's scheduled for May!!!!! If I knew they would be this delayed I would have gotten a DHR before they ran out! Is there a light at the end of the tunnel for these bikes? Was anyone else in a similar situation that had received their frame?

RPG

Monkey
Jun 14, 2004
All over New England
yep. I'd cancel my order and get a Jedi, but they are over a grand more for the frame. Already gave a deposit to the shop, and want to support them, as they are a solid group of guys.

Racebike

Monkey
Jul 28, 2008
Sweden
My colleague is biting nails for his session as well. First it was said January, then February, now it's the end of March.

They got pushed forward the first time because of "extra strengthening of the frame was required".

But have patience, I would be chewing my arm off if I was you, hope you have an alternate ride.

RPG

Monkey
Jun 14, 2004
All over New England
Extra Strengthening? That's scary. I have an SX Trail for backup, but looking to sell that. I ride at Highland in NH and a DH and FR bike are a bit redundant for the mountain. Now I'll hold onto the SX until the session arrives, or if I decide to go with a Jedi. I hear good things about them.

Racebike

Monkey
Jul 28, 2008
Sweden
that was last year - the frame they are selling now is the same from that won Redbull
Yeah, I seem to remember one snapped during Redbull.

This info was given out to the distro. here during January of this year.

Could be a bad explanation for the late delivery, but I would like someone to confirm this (someone with tie-ins at Trek).

Konabumm

Konaboner
Jun 13, 2003
Hollywood, Maryland, United States
Yeah, I seem to remember one snapped during Redbull.

This info was given out to the distro. here during January of this year.

Could be a bad explanation for the late delivery, but I would like someone to confirm this (someone with tie-ins at Trek).
the stuff the red bull boys put those bike through I can understand one breaking.

I hope you guys get your bikes in time! I freaking love mine -

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
The one that got buckled at RB???

Not saying that the bike should have heald up to that abuse. BUT...nothing else was bent/broken that I saw, meaning that the frame was the weakest link...I dont think that it is smart to have the single most expensive part be the weakest and most likely to fail...

My guess is that many people will not be happy with the durability of super light/thin walled DH parts. In the end, the consumer will pay when the last bit of gram counting becomes the most important freature of a part.

Last edited:

b1k3_r1d3r

Monkey
Jul 6, 2005
tubing was a bit thin on first few bikes that were sent out in the fall and down tubes were denting easily (some one racing one in the eccc (collegiate) dented the downtube from a log). so they had to make modifications to thickness in tubing which added time to obtaining tubing and then it adds time to everything.

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
I hear there was a shortage of tubing as people aren't recycling enough aluminum cans at the moment.

RPG

Monkey
Jun 14, 2004
All over New England
What??? The session frame is $3300 Retail...Jedi is $2700
The session is definatley not $3300. I think the retail is $2300. The new Jedi's are $3150. So I would be spending an extra grand. Doesn't sound so bad after hearing about the issues they had with the session tubing.

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
Not to rub it in but Ive had mine for 3 months now and ZERO problem with it.Ive ridden it hard and beat the hell out of it but I have yet to dent the downtube.

Its one ,if not THE best off the shelf race-ready bike for 2009 ,so its not a big surprise if they're already B/O.

For us Canadian folks,I know they received a first batch last november-issh ,then January and now they're sold out.

I find it hard to believe they would sell the first batch with "weak" tubing even if they were aware of the issue and I find it even HARDER to believe they weren't aware of it until late last fall...Ive seen more than one ALL summer last year in Whistler and you'd think with all the testing they would have known if something was wrong.Beside Trek has (Hands Down) the best warranty in the industry if something goes wrong.

Its worth the wait my friend, trust me the bike is a TON of fun!Good luck getting yours

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
The session is definatley not $3300. I think the retail is $2300. The new Jedi's are $3150. So I would be spending an extra grand. Doesn't sound so bad after hearing about the issues they had with the session tubing.

Yeah.....it is. Retail on the bike complete is 6400 dollars. If the frame was 2300, then there is 4 grand there in components. I just dont see 4K in components ont he bike.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
If you buy them individually, yes, but not when your getting them on a package price like you do when buyin complete bikes.

I will try to get ahold of Greg Johnson later, I will find the retail of the bike frame only.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
I did not just pull those numbers out of my a$$.

The retail price of the 88 is $3299 with the DHX. Next years Jedi might go up..but it is currently listed as $2699 with the same DHX 5.

These prices can be found easily by anyone who knows the magic of Google or can find the mfg or any number of retailer web sited......

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Mine was supposed to come in by March, then it got pushed back to April, now it's scheduled for May!!!!! If I knew they would be this delayed I would have gotten a DHR before they ran out!
Aren't DHRs still available? Go-Ride has them IIRC. Just can your order and get another ride. First generation stuff sucks anyway.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
They are currently sold out....expecting the '09' version in early April according to their web site.

But, yes, one of the most well respected bike company as far as build quality, customer service, and warranty...proven design, not first year production, great geo, etc, etc.....for $1799.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005

The retail price of the 88 is $3299 with the DHX. Next years Jedi might go up..but it is currently listed as $2699 with the same DHX 5.

These prices can be found easily by anyone who knows the magic of Google or can find the mfg or any number of retailer web sited......
I am oficially confirming this price, Talked to Johnson, thats the retail price for the frame.Straight from the horses mouth.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO

RPG

Monkey
Jun 14, 2004
All over New England
I guess I got a great price on a session and will leave it at that. I suppose I'll just wait it out for the frame to arrive. Yeah, I should have got the DHR, and still could through go-ride, but I want to support my lbs. I've known them for 10 years. I already gave them half of the money down. Shoulda, woulda, coulda....live and learn! Thanks for all the feedback. I'll post pics in september when I receive the frame!

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
I guess I got a great price on a session and will leave it at that. I suppose I'll just wait it out for the frame to arrive. Yeah, I should have got the DHR, and still could through go-ride, but I want to support my lbs. I've known them for 10 years. I already gave them half of the money down. Shoulda, woulda, coulda....live and learn! Thanks for all the feedback. I'll post pics in september when I receive the frame!

Dont sweat it, your going to like the session better thanthe DHR, I cant explain it, but ride both, and youll get it.

Personally I am seeing the push on the new session, jus tlike last year with the push on the M6. Everyone wanted them, took awhile to get it.

Be patient, it will pay off, I promise

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
Update from my dealer - I ordered my Session frameset back in October, with a scheduled delivery date of 2/27. Given that I've been around the block once or twice on "promise dates" in the bike industry, I specifically asked my shop how Trek is on delivery dates. His response: "They are pretty accurate these days with ETA's."

Turns out, not so much. When 2/27 rolled around, they pushed it back to 3/14 (which seemed odd, given that it was a Saturday). Just this morning, I got word that the new delivery date is 4/27. Sweet. So much for my April trip to Windrock. Something tells me that reports of some sort of re-design have a bit of truth to them.

BTW, I can't believe MSRP on the frame is $3299. There must be a gigantic margin built in on those for upper echelon Trek dealers, then, because huge discounts are available.

Anyway, back to waiting patiently . . .

--JP

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
Update from my dealer - I ordered my Session frameset back in October, with a scheduled delivery date of 2/27. Given that I've been around the block once or twice on "promise dates" in the bike industry, I specifically asked my shop how Trek is on delivery dates. His response: "They are pretty accurate these days with ETA's."

Turns out, not so much. When 2/27 rolled around, they pushed it back to 3/14 (which seemed odd, given that it was a Saturday). Just this morning, I got word that the new delivery date is 4/27. Sweet. So much for my April trip to Windrock. Something tells me that reports of some sort of re-design have a bit of truth to them.
--JP
John... I think your dealer might have led you on a bit, not Trek.

I looked into getting a frameset around thanksgiving and it clearly stated on DEXTER (Treks online dealer/invenory service site) that ETA for session frame sets was mid April.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Supply and Demand? If there is no supply, why try to demand? Move on and ride what is available. Why tie up your hard earned cash in somebody else's bank account? Get your interest, and tell the shop they get paid when they have inventory.

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
Try and get an old one if you can. The new tube spec frames are going to be close to 3 lbs heavier.

Monkey

a wait list considering the price is 3300 for a Trek frame when you can have a DHR for 1800?

:rofl: