Quantcast

what's coming from rock shox...

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
only SRAM could figure out a way to build a proprietary hub around a standard axle size.
but wait, there's more!

"Neither RockShox nor parent company SRAM have plans to license Predictive Steering’s Torque Tube hub design and the fork will not function without it."

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
only SRAM could figure out a way to build a proprietary hub around a standard axle size.
With a design like that, the hub really does need to be part of the fork. The large mating surface between the hub (outer axle) and the fork combined with the large bearings should stiffen things up nicely.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
but wait, there's more!

"Neither RockShox nor parent company SRAM have plans to license Predictive Steering’s Torque Tube hub design and the fork will not function without it."
but then they go on to say that DT swiss will also make hubs for it? da fuq?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
With a design like that, the hub really does need to be part of the fork. The large mating surface between the hub (outer axle) and the fork combined with the large bearings should stiffen things up nicely.
emphasis on should. do i think they'll get it right? yea. do i think it's stupid that they won't license the design? extremely. do i think some companies will figure out a way to make compatible hubs without violating whatever patent (i'm assuming) sram has on this? absolutely

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
no. it's just a super big axle sleeve (27mm) with larger bearings. also results in more surface contact between the hub and the dropouts.
that apparently does have some effect, at least in specialized's qr+ or whatever they call it and their rigid forks.

Still, I have to agree that if you're going to create a proprietary standard, you may as well, you know...actually take advantage of it.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
but then they go on to say that DT swiss will also make hubs for it? da fuq?
I lost where did I read this, but in one of the many articles on many other websites appraising the RS-1 launch, it was written that RS didn't want to let the "standard" free because of the machining tolerances it has. Apparently DT Swiss has the QC levels they require, so they handed them the ability to make front hubs. They left the chance to open-up the standard the way they did with the XD driver, but not in the short term...

I still recall DT being the first manufacturer allowed by Shimano to make 1st generation CenterLock hubs (besides Shimano itself). IIRC the Swiss factory was chosen by many other brands to offer OEM alternatives for their products in first place, so it's either a great deal for several brands to have aftermarket products backed by DT, or DT is making those products for the said brands in the first place...

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
awesome, all the proprietary worthlessness of a lefty without the benefits of supple action and torsional stiffness. at least you get two legs for 1800.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
awesome, all the proprietary worthlessness of a lefty without the benefits of supple action and torsional stiffness. at least you get two legs for 1800.
but it has Predictive Steering technology :rofl:

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Also then the weight of the fork should really include the weight of the hub to evaluate total weight. The big bearings should make for a heavy front hub.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Have to say, they know their market - XC and road biker racers seem to have the most disposable income. 2G for an overachiever is a steal!
Yep, look at what a Colonago frame costs, and it's a damn rigid! The local shops can't give away $5k all-mountain bikes, $10k XC bikes and $12k road bikes sell like hot-cakes.

now i wanna see this hub interface implemented on a USD DH fork and a 20mm axle
You really think they'll allow the next gen. Boxxer to have a smaller axle than their XC fork. Bring on the 45mm stanchions and 35mm axles! For more predictive steering, of course.

In a related note, Brent Foes was once again way ahead of his time. Had he just waited to release the ultra expensive upside-down for with a proprietary axle until now, and added some carbonz, he'd be a rich man.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Then it should predict that I'll steer that fvcker right back to the pub, because I'll need to be drunk to drop almost 2g's on an xc race fork
Are people really that shocked by the price? What does that new DVO DH fork run? 2500? If you were to break down the dollars per hour of riding, I'd bet the RS-1 is a better deal than most high end DH forks.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Are people really that shocked by the price? What does that new DVO DH fork run? 2500? If you were to break down the dollars per hour of riding, I'd bet the RS-1 is a better deal than most high end DH forks.
if you were to break down the dollars per hour of fun, i'd bet any dh fork fork is a better deal than an XC race fork.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
You really think they'll allow the next gen. Boxxer to have a smaller axle than their XC fork. Bring on the 45mm stanchions and 35mm axles! For more predictive steering, of course.

In a related note, Brent Foes was once again way ahead of his time. Had he just waited to release the ultra expensive upside-down for with a proprietary axle until now, and added some carbonz, he'd be a rich man.
the axle is standard 15mm. the hub sleeve is what has an oversized OD and is "different"

inverted boxxer with a charger damper and this hub would be some pretty hot sh!t.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Dude the Avy mtn8 was/is 3300 without the abs or Hilo adjuster. I find it hard to think anything that features sram hydraulics is a halo product, but I guess you may as well push the halo parts to keep people looking.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Can't be done. Cunningham specifically said it was 29er only. The hub has a proprietary number of eyelets and laces to Sram's prophetic deflection rim
yea and i've got a proprietary drill and some proprietary drill bits. sram's argument is invalid

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
The bike industry has gone full retard.
It's like an aging whore adding increasingly disturbing services in order to stay relevant.

E:
I have nothing against fat/gravel/whatever bikes.
There have always been niche products supplied by the fringes of the industry.
It's when every single company latches on to whatever category shows any sign of life (like the BMX, 'cross 'booms', lifestyle cruisers of the past which left the market awash in unwanted product) that things go sideways.

Last edited:

Samoto

Dec 16, 2013
Who is responsible for sram marketing? It seems that they employed new guy from Apple. It means lots of marketing and less of engineering.