Quantcast

What Tire Are People Running on 35-40mm Rims?

landcruiser

Monkey
May 9, 2002
San Jose, CA
whats the actual width on a 30mm ID rim??? and any plans for a 2.5 650b version??
So on my bike (Traverse SL Fattie rims) at 30psi, the 2.3 Butcher and Slaughter Grid tires measure 58-59mm at the casing, 57-58mm at the tread. Those are tires that have been broken-in and ridden. New tires will measure smaller. If you go with Control tires, they'll stretch an additional mm or two.

No plans for 2.5 trail tires right now. Would you want some?

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
So on my bike ... the ... tires measure 58-59mm at the casing, 57-58mm at the tread.
so that means the casing is 1-2mm wider than the tread. how does that compare to current (traditional?) setups (i.e. a 2.3 tire on a i23mm rim? My initial reaction has me wondering whether the new setup exposes sidewalls to more damage... :tinfoil:

landcruiser

Monkey
May 9, 2002
San Jose, CA
Most modern tires are designed with slightly wider tread than casings and for a 19-21mm rim. On a 23mm rim, you'll see those same casings measure closer to 55-56mm, with the tread still 57-58. As you go wider in rim size, the casing is spread out, but the tread width stays pretty consistent.

Yes, the wider casing exposes the sidewalls more. Whether or not that's an issue depends on a lot of things like location, trail conditions, riding style, and everything else that can normally go into tire selection.

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
So on my bike (Traverse SL Fattie rims) at 30psi, the 2.3 Butcher and Slaughter Grid tires measure 58-59mm at the casing, 57-58mm at the tread. Those are tires that have been broken-in and ridden. New tires will measure smaller. If you go with Control tires, they'll stretch an additional mm or two.

No plans for 2.5 trail tires right now. Would you want some?
It doesn't have to be a 2.5 per say but I would like something larger than 2.3...I know actual widths vary from brand to brand and model to model for that matter. Maxxis for example is what I run and have always run. I feel like I'm pigeonholed into running 2.4 HR2's in the front as the 2.3 minion (only size in 650b) on a 30mm rim is too narrow...I looked at some butchers mounted up on some 27id rims last weekend and that looked to be the ideal rim width to me for those tires..Dont think I would run one up front in a 2.3 for that reason..

Keep in mind I'm riding rough rocky trails and I push my front end pretty hard so a bigger tire makes sense but you would think with the enduro market people would be looking for some dh size/trail bike weight tires...I know wtb is making some serious meats but I just can't bring myself to run those..I like my sideknobs to all be in a row

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Okay mounted the Specialized Butcher GRID 2.3 for front and Slaughter Grid 2.3 for rear. They have the slighted bit of round but are almost straight. They should work good and love the rocks!

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Let us know how they ride? I have a buddy show up to a ride with Derby rims recently. Other buddies were on fatbikes (shudder). For a minute (it was dark), I thought he'd turned his Mojo SLR into a fatbike. They seem huge. He didn't have much to say about the rims after the ride other than they were great. He was on Easton EC90s before, so he practically doubled rim width. My main concern is loss of liveliness, and sidewall exposure...

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!

There you go some fast ones...
Nice, great pictures, too. Here are my poor pictures of 2.3 Butcher Control and 2.3 Purgatory Control 2.3 on Derby rims.

The rims weight is in the 400g territory so they made my bike much more lively than the original Flow and P35.

PS: I hate those Storm SL rotors. ;)

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
Let us know how they ride? I have a buddy show up to a ride with Derby rims recently. Other buddies were on fatbikes (shudder). For a minute (it was dark), I thought he'd turned his Mojo SLR into a fatbike. They seem huge. He didn't have much to say about the rims after the ride other than they were great. He was on Easton EC90s before, so he practically doubled rim width. My main concern is loss of liveliness, and sidewall exposure...
while mine arnt 40mm wide I attack some really gnarly sustained rock sections and Ive never torn a sidewall (maxxis exo) with my 35mm rims...Ive punctured the tread but never a sidewall...I used to do it all the time with narrower rims..

This is a trail I ride regularly and the rest of them are similar..I wouldnt worry about sidewall exposure unless you are running 15psi
http://www.pinkbike.com/video/351780/

(edit: actually I take that back..I did once but it was literally on a flat highspeed fireroad...had a rock roll up the side of the tire just right to tear the sidewall...was just a freak thing would have happened with any rim)

Last edited:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
gah, I'm reading so much conflicting information... I guess the only way to really find out is to try them for myself. But it's such an expensive proposition. I can't think of anyone or any shop that would lend out rims or wheels to try and see...

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
gah, I'm reading so much conflicting information... I guess the only way to really find out is to try them for myself. But it's such an expensive proposition. I can't think of anyone or any shop that would lend out rims or wheels to try and see...
Man not sure the AM bike is gonna be making that trail feel smooth. Although my Zerode did so easily.......

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Try to find an Ibis dealer that has demo bikes with 741s or 941s.
yeah, but then it won't be apples to apples... I want to stick to 26". If I go up a size, it'll add a variable that will muddle the testing. I'd really like to try them on my own bike with my own tires... I'll figure something out...

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Since there seem to be a few people running Butchers, has anyone had a Control casing weeping through the sidewall?
I'm running home brew goo so it could be my mix but my front tire is starting to pump a fair bit of goo out along the fold lines you get when you run low pressures.

I really like the Butcher but find the casing just a bit light for my heft.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
A bunch of guys at the shop that my company owns run Butchers control and a few with Grids. I have GRID versions. Never heard of them leaking....

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I used a control butcher on the front of my trail bike for most of the summer tubeless with (surprisingly) no problems.

I mix stans with some molding latex to thicken it up though so it may be less watery that what you've got going on?

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Since there seem to be a few people running Butchers, has anyone had a Control casing weeping through the sidewall?
I'm running home brew goo so it could be my mix but my front tire is starting to pump a fair bit of goo out along the fold lines you get when you run low pressures.

I really like the Butcher but find the casing just a bit light for my heft.
No problems with Butcher Control here, but the Purgatory Control 27.5 is a different story. It was visibly leaking through sidewalls from day one, fabric pattern was also visible since brand new.

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Heads up: backcountry has a sale of Geax Goma 27.5 2.25 ($25) and 2.4 TNT ($34) with free shipping over $50.
I was ordering some other stuff from there and grabbed one of each size of these because I read good things. I haven't mounted them yet but they look and feel decent. The 2.25 weighed in at 780g and the 2.4 at 1000g. For my trail bike with normal width rims, I will probably stick with the 2.25 as the 2.4 is massive and heavy. The TNT sidewall is thick and burly though, would probably be fine for a DH bike as well.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Can everyone please stop referencing outer rim width? I think this started as a marketing thing to make wide rims really stand out but it annoys the crap out of me. In the road world no one even knows what their inner rim width is anymore.They all ride on "23" and "25"mm rims.

My $.02 on rim width is that 30mm is the widest you should go if you want to run 2.3-2.5" tires in rocky conditions, go fast, and lean in corners. I love my 30mm LBs and used to love my 29mm 729s and 30mm Mag 30s.

P.S. The enduro weight casing 2.5" WTB Breakout and Vigilante tires are finally available and word is they are sick.

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
Think Im going to sell my Light-bicycle 30mm's on dt 240s and go back to a narrower rim...wish they made their 27mm's in 650b I liked my 26" ones I had better....I was liking those rims allot but I broke one so I swapped it for a 21mm in the rear...once I got my pressure dialed I like the tire profile better..It felt awful at first but now going back to the 30's at a pressure I wont break it again felt harsh..I would like a i27 front i25 rear in carbon..

I just mounted a 2.3 HR2 in the rear and the casing is literally wider than the sideknobs..

Last edited:

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Lots to sift through in this thread, Can someone please sumerise everything in this thread for me(without their opinion tainting it)with a concise answer to the original question, what's the RideMonkey conclusion on what to run on a 35mmLB rim for AM, Funduro(tm), MTBiking in general?
Can the OP add a Poll perhaps?
Butchers look good. I'm running Highroller front now. Just rode on loose on hardpack and it's feeling pretty unforgiving. Might try leaning it harder as I think the tightness of the corners I was riding kept it in the "drift zone" of the tyre. Thinking a tyre with smaller knobs but closer packed may be less grippy but more predictable, making them maybe faster. Less scary at least.

Last edited:

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
I just went from the LB's back to i25s and couldn't be happier. Going faster than I ever did on the wide rims.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Can the OP add a Poll perhaps?
Butchers look good. I'm running Highroller front now. Just rode on loose on hardpack and it's feeling pretty unforgiving. Might try leaning it harder as I think the tightness of the corners I was riding kept it in the "drift zone" of the tyre. Thinking a tyre with smaller knobs but closer packed may be less grippy but more predictable, making them maybe faster. Less scary at least.
It wouldn't let me post a poll.

The Butcher seems decent. I would guess the Minion DHF may work well also. I have only ran the Specialized tires for now....

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
It wouldn't let me post a poll.

The Butcher seems decent. I would guess the Minion DHF may work well also. I have only ran the Specialized tires for now....
the 2.3 minion was pretty much unrideable for me up front on the 35mm LB rims..the only tire I found to work well in the front was the 2.4 HR2 as the knobs were still wider than the casing...

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
while mine arnt 40mm wide I attack some really gnarly sustained rock sections and Ive never torn a sidewall (maxxis exo) with my 35mm rims...Ive punctured the tread but never a sidewall...I used to do it all the time with narrower rims..

This is a trail I ride regularly and the rest of them are similar..I wouldnt worry about sidewall exposure unless you are running 15psi
http://www.pinkbike.com/video/351780/

(edit: actually I take that back..I did once but it was literally on a flat highspeed fireroad...had a rock roll up the side of the tire just right to tear the sidewall...was just a freak thing would have happened with any rim)

That trail looks pretty sweet. What is it (you can PM if you want) Looks like something in SB?
Oh duh... you are in SB. Still interested to know what it is though.

Last edited:

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
would not go wider than i30 personally.

most people i know with derby rims are selling them this winter and dropping down to the LB i30 ones that give the same tire profile as a mavic 729

5mm is a small amount, but its still ~17% wider...
Really good info and also other good posts in the thread. Funny to see the difference between this post and the fan fest on MTBR. I was really tempted by these rims but got to the same conclusion just way to big. I would much rather have lighter and skinnier rims.

Besides what has been mentioned another problem I see is with wide rims like this riding on rocky trails the rims will see a lot of damage from rocks. Both my 2.2 and 2.4 rear and front tire has a lot of wear on the side of the tire from drag on rocks.

I does seem that Ray the guy behind Derby is a really cool guy with great service and I think the design of the rims seems really nice and it would be really interesting if he build a narrower version not only for 29r.