Quantcast

what I miss about the East Coast...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
As some of you are aware, I transplanted to SoCal (LA) this past july after growing up on the east coast. I've been here 5 months now, and here is a comprehensive list of the things I miss about the EC (not in any order of importance):

-Plattekill
-Dunkin' Donuts

For all the other transplants out there, what kinds of things do you miss from your old stomping grounds?

I_N_I

Chimp
Sep 25, 2007
Well What I miss about California, is the warm weather, clean, consistent surf, good riding, and I could kill for a in-n-out doubledouble right now. So there..

antimony

M.N.F. Beer Wench
Nov 21, 2005
North Carolina
NH -> NC, 2.5 years ago. I miss:

swearing (and not offending people)
the Sox
"wicked"
proper English
Salada tea
my family/friends

That's all. The weather & cost of living here are too awesome to miss much. :weee:

Oh, and no mountains nearby for hiking is mildly sad.

h22ekhatch

Monkey
Jun 13, 2005
Portland
As some of you are aware, I transplanted to SoCal (LA) this past july after growing up on the east coast. I've been here 5 months now, and here is a comprehensive list of the things I miss about the EC (not in any order of importance):

-Plattekill
-Dunkin' Donuts

For all the other transplants out there, what kinds of things do you miss from your old stomping grounds?
Well, there are some dunkin donuts on the west coast (at least in Portland) but they seem to be closing up shop for the most part.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
The few trips I've made to Cali I miss In-and-Out burger the most. I also miss Yosemite.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
their coffee isn't bad. it would be better if it weren't gassed.

and **** i hadn't had sweet tea in MONTHS :(

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Moved from New England to SF about 11 years ago. When I go back east the first things I seek are lobster rolls, bagels, pastrami sandwiches, linguine and clams, and proper brooklyn-style slices. I find good versions of these things here, but they are not the same.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Wherever I go in the world, I miss real new york pizza.
I was back east for Thanksgiving. My girl and I spent a day in Manhatten and made a pilgrimage to the legendary Di Fara's pizza in Brooklyn. It was a ridiculous way to spend part of our day (took too long to get there, not much else to do there, took FOREVER to get pizza) but it was ridiculously good.

We can get great pizza here. Not better or worse, but different.

http://orangette.blogspot.com/2005/09/di-fara-pizza-and-exaggeration-that.html

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
Just moved from the Wash DC area to the Seattle area two weeks ago. So far, I haven't found much here, but I see tons of potential. I miss nothing about the East Coast. People here are so much nicer.

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
Just moved from the Wash DC area to the Seattle area two weeks ago. So far, I haven't found much here, but I see tons of potential. I miss nothing about the East Coast. People here are so much nicer.
I did the reverse move from Seattle to DC five years ago. I miss seeing real mountains on the horizon. Have fun exploring Seattle!

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
Thanks Damien. I will say I'll miss all the people I met while out there for my brief ~8 year stay. A bunch of people who are all welcome to 'crash' if they find their way out here.

So far the only 'off-road' exploring I've done has yielded a small (legal) dirt jump park about a half mile from my house. If only the powers that be were as progressive in the DC area. Someday I hope 495 gets legit status.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
For you, Jon:

LONG ISLAND BOB!!!

oh... one thing i forgot to add to the list of things I miss... the race family (ie all the cool people for hanging out with at the races). Some of the noteworthy members:

-Long Island Bob
-Jim Mac
-Steve (deadatbirth)
-will C (redbull)
-George Ulmer (ViciousDHer)
-jeff ulmer is a pretty cool cat too
-Jim Pattavina
-I'm forgetting a lot here... there's a bunch more I should be adding

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
RI to CA now in AZ

Dunkin Donuts
Good Urban rides (drunk or otherwise)
Well built wooden stunts on trails
'Nam
Lynn Woods
Plattekill
Riding in sloppy weather (once ina while...)

corey_rideDC

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
DCmetro
Thanks Damien. I will say I'll miss all the people I met while out there for my brief ~8 year stay. A bunch of people who are all welcome to 'crash' if they find their way out here.

So far the only 'off-road' exploring I've done has yielded a small (legal) dirt jump park about a half mile from my house. If only the powers that be were as progressive in the DC area. Someday I hope 495 gets legit status.
yo pete! sorry to hear you've moved away, but i hope to take you up on that crash invite at some point. i've heard nothing but good things about seattle. we're VERY close to 495 resolution and when it does get done, it'll hopefully be something that DJ parks across the country can point to.

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
WA from MA
Don't miss all that much, really.
I miss the SLUT (look around, you'll find it)
The singletrack is likely a bit better in western MA than it is in the Seattle area, but the FR and DH is incomparably better in this area -especially just over our northern border!

SVPPB

Monkey
May 13, 2007
NV => SC
Missed: Good food, normal drinking laws, full size bottles of booze in a bar, 24 hour everything, Port of Subs, decent wages.

SC => NOLA
Missed: Good roads, my rugby team, the kids I taught.

NOLA => Reno (Katrina moved me)
Missed: Sitting on my porch drinking, my rugby team, my tattoo guy, the little trail that was turning into something great, insane drinking, Whole Foods.

Reno => Norfolk
Missed: Port of Subs, Sandy's, Tom the Gun, Hacksaw, Cinci Jon, open land, being able to play with my guns, drink all night, and not have to deal with crack heads, my family.

Norfolk => Pensacola
Missed: Not a damn thing.

West => East
Missed: Real mountains, real snow, real good people.

East => West
Miss: Platty, Wisp, Shoe, Diablo, Crack Rock

And on Wednesday I am going back to Tahoe. Damn job market here sucks.

vinnycactus

Monkey
May 27, 2004
Matthews, NC
MA --> NC 2.5 years ago

Vietnam
trails that have rocks
hucks to flat
the crew we used to ride with
the Cape
good seafood
Fenway
swearing as part of everyday lingo

shifty S

Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
NWDC...Asheville
dc --> nc

missed street riding, useable public transportation, 24 hour diners, not seeing the same people every damn day, not seeing 15 confederate flags within a quarter mile of my house, and snow

nc --> dc

having the blue ridge parkway 5 miles away, land, and having a two car garage to myself.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Um, really good non-behemoth bread and pastry shops that also sell really good coffee?

(Never understood why people love DD coffee so much, it's always tasted like the same old industrial crap to me.)
i worked as a barista for a while at a coffee shop in atlanta. roasters would come in from time to time drop stuff off for us to sample since we didn't roast our own beans. a guy came in from a roaster and dropped some stuff off with me and the owner and talked with us for a while. can't remember the name of the roaster but they do the roasting for Dunkin. the stuff he brought us was not bad at all. i think the problem is, the stuff gets gassed for storage/transportation reasons and it chumps out on the full flavor.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
Memphis to Milwaukee.

It's only been two months but I miss

-My parents
-My independent video store. Supposedly there is one here but I haven't found it yet.
-My liquor store. They are getting a christmas card this year I miss them so much
-Pizza. This thin crust **** is for the birds.
-BBQ. I had some of the absolute worst bbq I have ever had in my life here the other day. Yack.
-Danver's. I want a hot turkey and cheese dammit.
-Sweet tea from Tops. It was a once a week treat.