Quantcast

What clipless shoes for DH?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Oh and always lube your clipless pedals. Every time you lube your chain, throw some of that same lube on the springs/moving parts on your fancy clipless pedals. They do get dirty and get "sticky". And that's no fun.
Never had that problem, but I will sell you some Xpedo Ti pedals for cheap that I guarantee will not get sticky or hold you in.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I've always been flats on DH, always clipped in for trail riding. But switched from clipless to flats on my trail bike a few years ago because I had a few crashes where my foot would foul on the crank or stays as I was trying to emergency unclip. Big feet and rotating the heel out, if the crank is in the wrong spot my toes would hit it. I'd had enough of that BS and went to flats.

Still ride clipless on my XC bikes, just the rowdy stuff I prefer flats now.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Rehashed debates from the 90's regarding clipless vs flats aside, any recs on shoes that let you get the cleat pretty far back? I tend to like riding with my arch over the axle on flats due to some ankle injuries and I find every clipless shoe I've tried so far has the ball of my foot over the axle, which inevitably leads to hyperextending my ankle on some dumb huck when I'm tired at the end of the day.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Rehashed debates from the 90's regarding clipless vs flats aside, any recs on shoes that let you get the cleat pretty far back? I tend to like riding with my arch over the axle on flats due to some ankle injuries and I find every clipless shoe I've tried so far has the ball of my foot over the axle, which inevitably leads to hyperextending my ankle on some dumb huck when I'm tired at the end of the day.
according to HAB the 2fo DH's is extended a little farther back. i have yet to mount up the cleats on mine so i can't really comment any further.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Check out Ride Concept.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I have the Fizik gravita tensor. Rode them all last season. They're light, stiff, robust and comfortable. I can run the cleat as far back as i want/need. I'm comfortable recommending them. They have 1/2 sizes, so you can get the right fit too.

Loki87

Monkey
Aug 24, 2008
Salzburg, Austria
Been on a clipless shoe shopping spree recently and as far as i can tell, the LEATT models are what you should be looking at. They put the channel really far back.

Milleratio

Chimp
Oct 24, 2021
How do I know that my crankbrothers cleats are like over? The cleat doesn't stay locked anymore? The cleat doesn't lock anymore?

The brass as material is a bit strange material selection. I wonder why they don't make it from steel?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
How do I know that my crankbrothers cleats are like over? The cleat doesn't stay locked anymore? The cleat doesn't lock anymore?

The brass as material is a bit strange material selection. I wonder why they don't make it from steel?
You know they're worn when you hit a jump and realize that one of your feet is trying to do one footed cancan.

They're probably brass to keep wear down on the pedals and so that cleat placement isn't critical - they'll wear down and form to where they are over a few ride.

I find once they tip of them starts to look pointed and sharp, its probably time to switch them out.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Still looking for suggestions with decent ankle support.

(CB cleats are also brass because it's self-lubricating).