Quantcast

What clipless shoes for DH?

Milleratio

Chimp
Oct 24, 2021
I changed to clipless pedals last year and used my old 20 years old Shimano shoes. I guess I could buy new ones for 2023 season but what model? I've been looking for Crankbrothers Mallet Boas, Specialized 2FO ClipLites and Five Ten Kestrel Boas. Any other models that I should be looking for? Boa system would be preferable, but maybe not mandatory. I'm running crankbrother mallet pedals.

Has anyone checked what clipless mtb shoe has the most range to adjust the cleats far back?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
the 2FOs seem to be generally well liked.

the PB review of the mallet shoes actually compares them directly to the prior version of the 2fo clip.

although the clip lites seem like it may be more of a trail shoe than a DH shoe. there is a DH 2fo clip, but laces, not boa:

i'm still using a very old pair of 5.10 ravens. they have a very stiff sole and a lace cover. kind of warm in the summer but i got them on closeout for i think $20.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i've loosely been on the lookout for a new clipless shoe for DH. nothing wrong with my current shoes, but they are pushing 10 years old.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I like my older pair of Five Ten Hellcat Pros. The toe protection is solid, you could kick a wall and come out on top.

No BOA, but no care. The laces paired with that strap are fine.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
No BOA, but no care. The laces paired with that strap are fine.
i have 3 other pairs of shoes with boa configurations. all else being equal i would take boa over laces, they are really really nice. never had an issue with any of them *knocks on wood*. that being said, laces aren't a deal breaker for me.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I want a bit of ankle support with DH shoes, but that's just me. I used to have some Lake 302s that were perfect, they were the worst winter shoes ever, they had no insulation, but damn if they didn't make great DH shoes, super flexible compared to anything else similar.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
the 2FOs seem to be generally well liked.

the PB review of the mallet shoes actually compares them directly to the prior version of the 2fo clip.

although the clip lites seem like it may be more of a trail shoe than a DH shoe. there is a DH 2fo clip, but laces, not boa:

i'm still using a very old pair of 5.10 ravens. they have a very stiff sole and a lace cover. kind of warm in the summer but i got them on closeout for i think $20.
dur, meant to post the review i mentioned as well:

Milleratio

Chimp
Oct 24, 2021
general question: do you ride exposed, don’t fall or die stuff with clips?
If I understood correctly: I have full gear on and clips feels good. They seem to do the magic especially in rock gardens and in drops. I don't have so many years riding experience so anything that makes riding more comfortable is okay for me. My speed is so conservative that it seems to keep falling away 8-)

I rode one season with flats and changed last season to clipless.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
general question: do you ride exposed, don’t fall or die stuff with clips?
Yes. If it's really sketchy like an elevated skinny, I'm capable of riding it unclipped. You just kinda put the arch of your foot on the pedal. But yeah, exposed, don't fall stuff, I'm generally ok with being clipped in. Been doing it for a looooong time.

To the OP: Shimano AM9 FTW. If you have Shimano pedals, getting their shoes is a no brainer. No cutting the soles down for pedal interface is guaranteed. Not sure about CB and their shoe/pedal combo.

I have a pair of the 2FO's w/ boa. They just fit my feet weird. And I usually don't have that problem. They're my backup shoes now.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yes. If it's really sketchy like an elevated skinny, I'm capable of riding it unclipped. You just kinda put the arch of your foot on the pedal. But yeah, exposed, don't fall stuff, I'm generally ok with being clipped in. Been doing it for a looooong time.

To the OP: Shimano AM9 FTW. If you have Shimano pedals, getting their shoes is a no brainer. No cutting the soles down for pedal interface is guaranteed. Not sure about CB and their shoe/pedal combo.

I have a pair of the 2FO's w/ boa. They just fit my feet weird. And I usually don't have that problem. They're my backup shoes now.
i still don't get why people think it takes weird voodoo magic to ride clipless

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Many of us old dogs have been riding clips so long that we have a clip-out muscle memory/reflex that means it doesn't take any longer to get a foot down in most cases. We're also more comfortable and secure being clipped in, which is what we want for the sketchiest lines. Getting clipped back in on rowdy stuff is harder than getting out, but still not very difficult, and pedals with little platforms (like Shimano trail pedals) really help with that. It can be intimidating for new riders and some people prefer flat pedals, particularly for things like dirt jumping, trials, etc., where your feet are on and off a lot. I used to ride both depending on the application but I'm pretty much always clipped in these days.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Many of us old dogs have been riding clips so long that we have a clip-out muscle memory/reflex that means it doesn't take any longer to get a foot down in most cases. We're also more comfortable and secure being clipped in, which is what we want for the sketchiest lines. Getting clipped back in on rowdy stuff is harder than getting out, but still not very difficult, and pedals with little platforms (like Shimano trail pedals) really help with that. It can be intimidating for new riders and some people prefer flat pedals, particularly for things like dirt jumping, trials, etc., where your feet are on and off a lot. I used to ride both depending on the application but I'm pretty much always clipped in these days.
can confirm, i've been riding clipless almost as long as i've been mountain biking. i had SPD pedals before i had a suspension fork.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Ha! Never really thought about it like that but I think the same is true for me too. And actually I still have a pair or two of the original 737's around.
yea i still have my OG pedals and shoes. i was too young to drive at the time, and my parents were already tired of taking me to the bike shop, so i had to ride there when my pedals & shoes were in, then ride home on them.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
I am in the same situation and I agree 100%, but in my case I converted almost exclusively to flat pedals last year. I still prefer and use clipless for fast and rough lift-assisted stuff (MSA), but I like the additional fun factor and challenge of not being able to rely on clipless pedals to "cheat" in certain situations.

Some may disagree, but I see riding with flat pedals as being often more fun and rewarding than clipless pedals...just like I find riding a good hardtail can be more fun and rewarding than riding a full-susp bike. Performance-wise, both the clipless and full-susp are superior, but the fun-factor sometimes wins! :)

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Some may disagree, but I see riding with flat pedals as being often more fun and rewarding than clipless pedals...just like I find riding a good hardtail can be more fun and rewarding than riding a full-susp bike. Performance-wise, both the clipless and full-susp are superior, but the fun-factor sometimes wins! :)
Interesting take on it. Guess that depends on your definition of fun! Seems a bit like other self handicaps - single speed, full rigid, etc., but you do you. :thumb:

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Interesting take on it. Guess that depends on your definition of fun! Seems a bit like other self handicaps - single speed, full rigid, etc., but you do you. :thumb:
Hahaha! Fair point, but I have exactly zero interest in these other self-handicaps. :)

As I get older, it seems smart to challenge myself using other means than riding always faster on the gnarliest trails. Improving my riding technique using flat pedals and a hardtail (on mellower trails) is actually a lot of fun, for me at least.

Performance-wise, now that I am more used to flats, I'd say I find them a bit superior to clipless for slow-speed super-tech stuff, but the difference is marginal.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Had been using the original 2FO ClipLites with the boas for years, and even found a backup pair after they stopped making that version. Always stuck to Specialized because they've had the best toe protection by far (compare them side by side if you want to see for yourself). In their infinite wisdom, Specialized lizards looked at their product line and said "We've made an great product. Exceptional, even. Let's fuck with it and make it worse." and then laughed in lizard-y ways.

Now using the 5.10 Kestrel with the boas. I ended up sizing down with these a bit. The fit isn't quite as nice as the Specialized shoes, but the protection and stiffness and boa feature is there. I keep thinking I might want to get an insole for them with more arch support. Does anyone even do that for mtb shoes?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Had been using the original 2FO ClipLites with the boas for years, and even found a backup pair after they stopped making that version. Always stuck to Specialized because they've had the best toe protection by far (compare them side by side if you want to see for yourself). In their infinite wisdom, Specialized lizards looked at their product line and said "We've made an great product. Exceptional, even. Let's fuck with it and make it worse." and then laughed in lizard-y ways.

Now using the 5.10 Kestrel with the boas. I ended up sizing down with these a bit. The fit isn't quite as nice as the Specialized shoes, but the protection and stiffness and boa feature is there. I keep thinking I might want to get an insole for them with more arch support. Does anyone even do that for mtb shoes?
i did insulated insoles on my winter shoes.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
i can ride 80-90% without issues clipped in, but as soon as stuff gets hairy if you would fall my brain says no. gonna try flats again this year to see if it’s a age thing or being clipped in. on topic: if clipped in i‘m either on the previous gen boa 2fo or the sworks recon

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i can ride 80-90% without issues clipped in, but as soon as stuff gets hairy if you would fall my brain says no. gonna try flats again this year to see if it’s a age thing or being clipped in. on topic: if clipped in i‘m either on the previous gen boa 2fo or the sworks recon
maybe it's just my own mentality, but when riding clipped in i feel like i force myself to commit to things better.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I switch between both pedal systems and I would not say that clipless is superior in performance. At least for me, timing did not reveal a clear advantage of one over the other on local trails under "normal" conditions. On high-speed rough and loose trails I am faster with clipless and I feel on longer rides my leg muscles fatique less with clipless pedals.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo

Yeah, actually Specialized makes (or made) arch support "orthotic" type inserts. I know cuz my bike doctor gave them to me to correct knee alignment. They were thin plastic "moar shims" type of a thing with varying thickness.

Shimano: https://bike.shimano.com/en-SG/technologies/apparel-accessories/footwear/insole-technology.html

Special Ed: https://www.specialized.com/us/en/shop/shoes/c/shoes?gclid=CjwKCAiAqt-dBhBcEiwATw-ggKN-oQklWDOoFcOgwxUvhUMQ_dl0X5uLKvz7oTj17HJNjlD6EL06rhoCmtUQAvD_BwE#/filter:group:Footbeds

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I have a good riding buddy who went to flats after riding his whole life on clips. He's never going back. Even on a road trip in Europe. He was saying he got funny looks that he was on flats on a road bike. :)

Certainly makes one less shoe to bring!

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
too many slowmo fall overs when riding slow stuff and lost balance
You have an ebike, why are you going so slow? :D

have been riding clips so long that we have a clip-out muscle memory/reflex that means it doesn't take any longer to get a foot down in most cases. We're also more comfortable and secure being clipped in, which is what we want for the sketchiest lines.
Man, I've been riding clips almost exclusively since I was 15 or 16. Only recently have I started riding flats and that is only my fat bike (which is not ridden much), so I can wear my regular boots. I feel like an idiot on that bike, no precision and heaven forbid if there is any air, because my feet always seem to be become separated from the bike. :rofl:

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
too many slowmo fall overs when riding slow stuff and lost balance
Technique is everything.

Best thing to do is practice "panic" unclipping. That'll get your muscle memory activated.

In your yard (or "garden") or where there is something to cushion your fall if you fail, practice going as slow a possible or even balancing. Then, as you start to feel yourself fall over, wait until the last possible moment to unclip. And really work on the actual muscle movement it takes to unclip. It's not natural, but it is learnable. See below. Sometimes you won't unclip in time. Hence practicing on soft terrain. Giver a shot!

It may be worth noting that unclipping really involves hip/knee/ankle/foot movement. Some peeps think it's just in the ankle. It's really not. You want to leverage the most unclipping power using all the things.

Oh and always lube your clipless pedals. Every time you lube your chain, throw some of that same lube on the springs/moving parts on your fancy clipless pedals. They do get dirty and get "sticky". And that's no fun.

Last edited:

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Other than a few years with Toe-clips back in the 90's I've been on flats for almost 55 years.
I do have a set of XTR clipless and a pair of decent shoes, but I just can't seem to get the hang of them...
My backyard laughs at me so hard it has crushed my want to try them out in public,

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Oh and always lube your clipless pedals. Every time you lube your chain, throw some of that same lube on the springs/moving parts on your fancy clipless pedals. They do get dirty and get "sticky". And that's no fun.
Or ride Crank Brothers pedals. They seem to be less affected by dirt and it takes longer for them to get sticky.
BTW: the lube attracts dirt as well. When I was on SPDs, I used some kind of teflon spray that was low friction but dried and would not attract dirt.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I have a good riding buddy who went to flats after riding his whole life on clips. He's never going back. Even on a road trip in Europe. He was saying he got funny looks that he was on flats on a road bike. :)

Certainly makes one less shoe to bring!
Mirrors my experience - clipless from the beginning (early 90's), pretty much, then forgot my shoes on a spring break trip with the kids in 2015 and decided to pick up some flats. Been on them ever since. I wouldn't say I'm never going back, but at this point... it seems very unlikely.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
Technique is everything.

Best thing to do is practice "panic" unclipping. That'll get your muscle memory activated.

In your yard (or "garden") or where there is something to cushion your fall if you fail, practice going as slow a possible or even balancing. Then, as you start to feel yourself fall over, wait until the last possible moment to unclip. And really work on the actual muscle movement it takes to unclip. It's not natural, but it is learnable. See below. Sometimes you won't unclip in time. Hence practicing on soft terrain. Giver a shot!

It may be worth noting that unclipping really involves hip/knee/ankle/foot movement. Some peeps think it's just in the ankle. It's really not. You want to leverage the most unclipping power using all the things.

i ride clipped for 8 years now on the gravel bike, also as a courier with lots of unclips per hour. mtb is still different though

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
If you wouldn't go huck a drop with clipless...you shouldn't be on clipless IMO.

There's nothing wrong with using flats. I think some different suspension tuning/damping may be necessary depending on which one the rider uses, but I can't knock using flats. If that's what someone is comfortable with, that's what they should use.