Quantcast

~~~ Welps!day GMT~~~

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Life as a bicycle commuter is a life of small injustices.

There is a 0.4 mile segment of a busy road that I have to travel along on my way home. 3 lanes each direction, center turn lane, 35 mph limit so people doing 40-45 mph. No shoulder, no bike lane, small sidewalk.

I take the sidewalk whenever possible because I loathe riding with traffic in those conditions. Today I had to assert my spot in a traffic lane because there was a pedestrian halfway up this long block that I'd be otherwise unable to pass. I rode about 1/3rd of the way into the lane to encourage drivers to give me berth instead of squeezing by.

Most did. One jerk in a late model Altima didn't, brushing me back.

The light turned red ahead--did I mention that this 3rd lane turns into a turn-only lane and is thus mainly used by jerks seeking to cut others off? I caught up to the guy at the red light, staying well out of the path of his wheels should he veer off to the side suddenly, and informed him that he should stop being an asshole.

He heard this, rolled down his window, protested weakly, saying that he had no obligation to give me room, then the light turned green and he proceeded to verify my conclusion by cutting off some drivers in the lane next to him.

The kicker? He was wearing a hospital uniform. From my hospital, and I think either my department or the Emergency Department. (Docs don't wear uniforms but staff do.) I wasn't wearing a badge or a shirt or anything, so he has no idea that I'm actually a doc at his very workplace... Way to spread goodwill amongst the public, dude.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
12 disappointing miles today. I just dislike riding with people who change gear to granny whenever they see a rock or a mild incline. My slack bike hates noodling around behind them, it loves going over shit with speed.

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I just had a fabulous ride. Whoever says that riding in the rain sucks, well, sucks.

I do not think it could be any more humid though. Mid way through the ride, the rain stopped and there was this eerie mist/haze all throughout the forest (didn't help that it was already getting dark). It was like riding through forests on the moon of Endor....or being in the jungle in Jurassic Park.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp

There is a 0.4 mile segment of a busy road that I have to travel along on my way home. 3 lanes each direction, center turn lane, 35 mph limit so people doing 40-45 mph. No shoulder, no bike lane, small sidewalk.

I take the sidewalk whenever possible because I loathe riding with traffic in those conditions. Today I had to assert my spot in a traffic lane because there was a pedestrian halfway up this long block that I'd be otherwise unable to pass. I rode about 1/3rd of the way into the lane to encourage drivers to give me berth instead of squeezing by.

The light turned red ahead--did I mention that this 3rd lane turns into a turn-only lane and is thus mainly used by jerks seeking to cut others off? I caught up to the guy at the red light, staying well out of the path of his wheels should he veer off to the side suddenly, and informed him that he should stop being an asshole.

He heard this, rolled down his window, protested weakly, saying that he had no obligation to give me room, then the light turned green and he proceeded to verify my conclusion by cutting off some drivers in the lane next to him.

The kicker? He was wearing a hospital uniform. From my hospital, and I think either my department or the Emergency Department. (Docs don't wear uniforms but staff do.) I wasn't wearing a badge or a shirt or anything, so he has no idea that I'm actually a doc at his very workplace... Way to spread goodwill amongst the public, dude.
:popcorn:

This is going to end good, when you see him at work one day.

But, that totally blows, too. I never ride on busy streets for that exact reason. Too many assholes or even people who are just twitchy nervous drivers.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
SerialMidget please take note of an example of a proper GMT title format
  • Three or so non alpha-numeric characters surrounding the title. If not three repeating characters it is nice to reverse the order on the epilogue for symmetry
  • The day: a whimsical analog to the day is acceptable
  • GMT: Self explanatory.
After studying all night I posted ₩₩₩ GMT Bold Move Tuesday ₩₩₩ at 5 AM this morning, turned out to be Wednesday though. There's more to a triumphant return than you would think :MONKEY:

Last edited:

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Stayed up all night talking to my buddy who recently joined Skinny Puppy, as their guitarist. He busted his ass, and his first show with them was in front of 50,000 people. We had no shortage of stories and hadn't seen each other much in the last year.

2am bed time. Walking in to a 9am meeting. Not bad for a middle aged quadriplegic.
Back in the early to mid 80 I was living off 13th Ave in Denver, near the Pearl Street Grill and Wax Trax Records. At that time "Skinny Puppy Rules" was spray painted on nearly every dumpster and alley entrance for at least a square mile. Could this be the same group of skinny puppies???

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I left my knife at the Ovens today. Why I don't know. I didn't even need it. I guess I was just showing off or trying to look cool in front of the kids. Well when I went back it was gone. Now I need to quickly buy a new knife.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001

i can't suggest anything productive.

it would just lead to a criminal record.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Back in the early to mid 80 I was living off 13th Ave in Denver, near the Pearl Street Grill and Wax Trax Records. At that time "Skinny Puppy Rules" was spray painted on nearly every dumpster and alley entrance for at least a square mile. Could this be the same group of skinny puppies???
Probably.
I've circled that band for years. I have art by the guy who does their album art and used to hang with him. Another friend of mine has photographed them several times for magazines.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
hunt him down at work and walk up and say " hey your'e the dick head that cut me off on my bike"