Quantcast

Weird RockGardn Blacklite issue

Hesh To Steel

Monkey
Dec 12, 2007
Hell's Kitchen
I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced the same thing with this helmet. I bought mine in 2008 and the finish on the helmet was sort of rubbery. This was apparently intentional and allowed the entire outer surface of the helmet to act as a goggle grabber. Towards the end of last season i noticed that there were patches on the helmet that had become sticky. It really seemed as if someone had spilled soda all over the helmet and it had dried. Dousing with soda is not part of my usual helmet-care routine so I didn't understand why this had happened.

Now it seems like the stickiness has covered the entire outer shell of the helmet and I'm thinking it might be an issue with the finish of the helmet. I tried to wash off the sticky parts with soap and water today and it resulted in a weird gooey substance forming on the surface.

Anybody else have any experience with this? I'm curious as to whether the breakdown of the rubbery layer will have any detrimental effect on the integrity of the helmet's shell (though I'm guessing this isn't a huge concern).

Capricorn

Monkey
Jan 9, 2010
Cape Town, ZA
integrity of the shell is not really that important. it's almost purely for cosmetic purposes. Maybe try some rubbing alcohol to get it off completely? Benzine works nicely for organic compounds, but i'm not a liker of the stuff as it is carcinogenic.