Quantcast

Weight training – Base phase cycling

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
I’m in a 45 day base phase cycle and I need to include some weight training but not sure how to get it in. Can I do my weight training, light maybe 30 minutes (mon, wed, friday), in the morning of the same day as my cycling without completely destroying my body. I’m training for a 24 hour race and need to maximize my recover and not be in the ‘dead zone’ all the time. Recovery is everything.
The next 2 phases will be 23 days at build and 23 days at peak.

bbmj

Monkey
Feb 14, 2002
Eastbay
Does that mean your riding everyday? If you are do you have any lighter days? Why are you also lifting, is it absolutely necessary? If its absolutely necessary than try and get it in on the days that are the easiest as far as cycling goes, you might also try only 2 days of lifting a week, and alternate what muscles you train every week. Let me know the answers to your questions, or post the workouts you will be doing.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
5 to 6 days a week in base (at or below zone 3) up to 10/15 hours. Strenght training is essentual during base phase to build cycling specific and non-specific muscle groups (as read in various books) i'm just not sure when to get them in or how much cycling to cut out if any.

bbmj

Monkey
Feb 14, 2002
Eastbay
My opinion would be that you wouldnt want to cut out the cycling, because you are training to have the endurance to cycle. Now, the weight training will help, but if you overdo it youll be beat to hell, and it will be no fun. I think something like 2 days a week, broken up into 2weeks phases, ie what a 4days of training per week you would do in two weeks, This way you are getting 2 days of lifting a week, this should allow plenty of time for recovery, you are alternating muscles with lots of rest so that your body can let them recover inbetween all the cycling. Are you following a specific program? do they lay out exercises for you to do? IF all of your training days are of the same intensity/length than it will be a bit easier to do the weight training since your body will not have to deal with higher and lower levels of stress. I would add the strenght training in on the days that are most convenient but try and get at least 72 hours between the training sessions. Exercises i would suggest, squats with free weight done to a proper depth and with good form, 45degree back extensions, bench press with free weights, pullups, lots of different abdominal movements, so basic large multiple muscle group movements, dont worry about isolation exercises. Basically all of the lifting isnt going to be very specific so the carry over might not be great, but by training the big core lifts you will develop a good base of strength to match your cardio conditioning