Quantcast

Wed 314159 deW

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I will say this. Merck was the best run company I worked for both in regards to execution .......of employees.
Jeesh It didn't seem THAT bad.

I definitely know that history. That was a while ago though if it's what I'm thinking of. Like founding of the company era. I also definitely know how my buddy viewed that place after working there for 10 years. We were chemists though, who knows what the rest of the merck universe was like.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Working in woodshop while doing double duty babysitting Hannah and real work. Day is SUPER slow with work, so just rolling through things as they come up, which is slowly.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
my only merck experience was working with kippy stroud, the granddaughter of one of the founding scientists. she was crazy but loved art. founded the fabric workshop museum in philly and ran the acadia summer arts program in maine. which was awesome. if you got invited she paid for you and your fam to get there, paid for a beautiful cabin for up to a month, and the only requirement was that you had to go to a dinner with the other residents at her compound twice a week and give one presentation about a project you were currently working on. thanks merck!

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Meeting went smashingly well. was My first group presentation, so I was a teensy bit nervous, but I knew three of the five surgeons, so it was friendly territory. They were really interested in the device, and had some hard questions. Some stuff above my pay grade regarding Medicare, medicaid, VA, and worker’s compensation coverage. Pretty psyched, though.
Gonna go for a ride now...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
has anyone done and duct/venting work in their house? i'm entertaining the idea of adding some vents in my basement (unfinished) where none currently exist, but the main ducts and returns are easily accessible.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
has anyone done and duct/venting work in their house? i'm entertaining the idea of adding some vents in my basement (unfinished) where none currently exist, but the main ducts and returns are easily accessible.
Make sure you have airflow capacity. Our current HVAC is ~25% too small for the house and it leaves Hannah's room and the basement frigid during winter. If you add your basement sq ft to your HVAC flow, your HVAC needs to be powerful enough to handle the extra space.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Make sure you have airflow capacity. Our current HVAC is ~25% too small for the house and it leaves Hannah's room and the basement frigid during winter. If you add your basement sq ft to your HVAC flow, your HVAC needs to be powerful enough to handle the extra space.
i'll check it, but i should probably also mention that i only use the blower to circulate air throughout the house during the winter; we don't use the furnace as our primary heat source.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
i'll check it, but i should probably also mention that i only use the blower to circulate air throughout the house during the winter; we don't use the furnace as our primary heat source.
May require flow balancing so plan on flow control gates or registers. They can be noisy so place accordingly.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
someone i used to work with is currently at merck (or used to work there?), what i heard from his is a much different story. that was a location here in PA, so that may be a factor.

A lot has to be said for the particular plant and manager you work for. But I enjoyed it. By nature it was a difficult job, a lot of people hated it for that, but I enjoy a challenge. In addition they held people to a high level of accountability, if you didn't pull your weight things would get difficult real fast. But that was also a positive point for me, other peoples failures didn't become my responsibility, which is the majority of my job at most other places.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Found out that the person at dialysis that I called 911 for monday night did in fact have a minor stroke. My field triage was correct and they were inside the local stoke center less than 30 minutes from the start of symptoms. They should recover

WIN, I think this calls for Tacos and beer :banana:

Last edited:

cecil

Turbo Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
with the voices in my head
Seeing as you have no concern about your furnace BTU output only air flow typically you can change a pulley on your blower motor to gain more CFM

If you don't have a manual the serial number and the model number contain all the information about the unit. See below

As for the duct just tapping the main trunk and putting a branch line won't necessarily give you air flow at the end of the run. As you extend the duct you have to reduce the size to maintain velocity.

The 5 story apartment building I'm building has 85 furnaces and a MUA unit on the roof with 2.5 million BTU.

If you want pm me I'll tell you what I need and I'll have our mechanical engineer give you a sketch of what you can do

Screenshot_20201209-212408.png

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
A lot has to be said for the particular plant and manager you work for. But I enjoyed it. By nature it was a difficult job, a lot of people hated it for that, but I enjoy a challenge. In addition they held people to a high level of accountability, if you didn't pull your weight things would get difficult real fast. But that was also a positive point for me, other peoples failures didn't become my responsibility, which is the majority of my job at most other places.
can confirm. at my current job i've had 4 managers, will shift to #5 1Q21. two were terrible, two were great. the two that were great i had worked with previously at other jobs coincidentally (one of them is my current mgr). it helps that i am on top of my shit and don't miss deliverables, so they generally let me do my own thing and give me a lot of flexibility.