Quantcast

WC #6 - Val Di Sole (ITA) 2015

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
There are a lot of guys I'd be stoked to see pull the win, like Ratboy, Hill, Hart, Bruni, etc., but I'm pulling for Minnaar for the win and the overall. Like Warner said, never count him out.

If it's wet, Gwin wouldn't normally be the call. But then again, that guy isn't normal.

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
There are a lot of guys I'd be stoked to see pull the win, like Ratboy, Hill, Hart, Bruni, etc., but I'm pulling for Minnaar for the win and the overall. Like Warner said, never count him out.

If it's wet, Gwin wouldn't normally be the call. But then again, that guy isn't normal.

for the unawares... Minnaar is close

Men's DH World Cup overall standings
1 Aaron Gwin (USA) 1089
2 Greg Minnaar (RSA) 954
3 Loïc Bruni (FRA) 869
4 Troy Brosnan (AUS) 823
5 Josh Bryceland (GBR) 709

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
Well this blows:

I don't even know what part of Peaty this is. Hopefully tis but a flesh wound and the legend (now with moar beard) will still be able to race.

Edit: Sounds like it's just a shin vagina so he should be good to go.

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
i think gwins got it if it stays dry..

if those clouds open up... oh lawdy me

p.s is remi therion still out? he was a friggen threat man; love that dudes style

p.s.s is @jackalope on meth withdrawls? where is his world cup post?!

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Apologies to trumbull, my meth gums were really bleedy and it kept dripping on my smartphone screen. But now that I've milked some tampons in my pie hole, lets get weird with VDS breakdown.

Ahh yes, the venerable European boot. Home to Cesar, the Mafia and beautiful (if mechanically unreliable) sports cars...and I guess the former home of the much beloved/maligned Marzocchi suspension company [pours a few ounces of Marzen beer out on the ground]. Needless to say, VDS is now a legendary venue and part of some of the most epic DH action in history. So lets evaluate all the important factors going into the final WC race of the year.

* Pretty sure the Honda Del Sol was in fact not built anywhere near VDS...and speaking of cars, I'm still amazed that Fiat is not only still a viable automotive company, but so much so it owns Chrysler...which in retrospect makes sense in some ways I suppose.

* Unlike in 1944, Americans Gwin and Luca will find things pretty easy going coming into Italy. Seriously tho, its been argued that the Italian campaign was more brutal in many ways than the invasion of France. For evidence, read on the Battle of Monte Cassino.

* There are actually olive oil "bars" where I live. To be honest, I poo-pooed their very existence until I tried some high end olive oil. I'm still not forking over $40 for a bottle of olive oil, but I'll drizzle that shit all over some semi-burnt bread if someone else springs for the coke oil.

* Many of the original spaghetti westerns were actually shot in Italy, including several of the famous Clit Eastwood flicks.

* I never see restaurants which specialize in "southern Italian" food. It's always "northern Italian". Monarch, please inform us on why that is.

* I may be gay now, but there is part of me that would like to own a custom steel road bike made in Italy. That and a Ferrari.

* Godfather 1 is still the best one (by far) out of the series.

* Italian rider Gino Bartali won a TDF in 1938 and ten years later in 1948.

* I always laughed when Mic told Rocky he was an Italian tank...they've never produced a decent piece of field armor.

Now with the preamble out of the way, here's the weekend podium locks:

1.) Steve Peat's beard - yep, the old dog is back at it, shin vag and all. But he realizes he doesn't quite have the fitness after so much time off, so he makes the smart decision to lop off his chin whiskers and place them neatly on the saddle of his (almost unrideable) V10 - magic ensues. No one is quite sure how a pile of facial pubic hair smashes down the mountain with such pace, but much credit is given to Peaty's likely Roman ancestry for the ease at which his V10 slips through the Italian gnar.

2.) FSM - the original pasta deity decides to make his presence known in the home of Zeus and Co., perhaps in an act of brinksmanship. We'll see if Zeus retaliates with a lightning storm or 2. Anyway, the Noodly wonder from above makes a stellar entrance into the WC scene with a blistering run and pirates around the world hoist a goblet of grog in his honor.

3.) Lorenzo Suding - fully recovered from his frightening car accident, Lo finally takes his first WC podium astride an Ancillotti with the hopes that the duel top tubes will help keep the head tube connected to the frame in case of a harsh, flat landing. Salu to the native son.

4.) Monarch - RM's own random picture thread scion makes a dramatic appearance on the podium, riding his very own robot creation - which is to say a (fucking) e-bike with a ferrari motor. Attaining speeds in excess of 200 kph, he blows the last corner coming into the home stretch (ala Sam Hill), thus robbing him of an easy win.

5.) Alberto Tomba - taking a que from the Herminator at Leogang, Tomba comes out of retirement from gravity sports and grabs the last spot on account of his his supreme bulk and familiarity with the Italian mountain terrain. The only thing that slows him down are the attractive female spectators, whom he stops to inquire about their interest in entering his harem. Mixed results it seems.

Failing all that, here's the deal:

1.) Rat...he's back on pace, it will (hopefully) be wet, and he has no fucks to give about the overall.
2.) Gee - apparently he loves this track, and if its moist, the Brits are at an advantage.
3.) T-broz - won't be surprised if he wins, especially judging by his run a few years ago - he loves this track.
4.) Rock Floater - Gwin will be fast on the place regardless of conditions, but if its soggy, I think it will set him back a bit.
5.) Minnaar - Always fast here, and like T-broz, I won't be surprised if he takes the "W"

Ladies:

1. Rach - on an another level now
2. Manon - based on timed results only
3. Pom Pom - boob hearts are still awesome
4. Seagraves - another solid/consistent performance
5. Hannah - we can have a vacation at Florence to help you forget the struggles of this season.

Lets race ninjas!

Last edited:

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
4.) Monarch - RM's own random picture thread scion makes a dramatic appearance on the podium, riding his very own robot creation - which is to say a (fucking) e-bike with a ferrari motor. Attaining speeds in excess of 200 kph, he blows the last corner coming into the home stretch (ala Sam Hill), thus robbing him of an easy win.
:kiss:
I made it in the WC forecast!

I never see restaurants which specialize in "southern Italian" food. It's always "northern Italian". Monarch, please inform us on why that is.
Well, that's not quite correct. The pizza Margherita as we know it with tomatos, Basil and Oregano was first served in Napoli, which is clearly Southern Italy.

So there you have it: Pizzeria->specialized in Southern Italian food.

Still trying to make it to Val di sole tomorrow. Not sure if I can make it possible.

Last edited:

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
Sicilian cuisine rocks @jackalope. In fact it's so good, some people still eat it with skull and brain fragments splattered all over it, which is clearly illustrated by the "leave the gun, take the Cannoli" line from the objectively inferior Godfather 1.

DH Dad

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
MA
As always lots of predictions of Hart if it's sloppy wet but Brosnan's a damn good wet rider too. He also killed the Junior field at the 2011 World Champs and had the 2nd fastest time of the day. Gwin was on pace with Hart until he slid off the track, every other men's pro was riding like they'd never seen mud before that day. Other than those 3 I don't recall anyone else actually riding like they expected to win. Other than that one run Hart's proven to be mortal and make mortal mistakes. Gwin has proven WC winning prowess 13 times. Only 5 men in the world can say that and 4 of them will be racing tomorrow. My prediction is Hart qualifies top 10 then disappoints again tomorrow.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
T-broz in the pole position, but the Rock Floater threw down a hellaciously fast 1st split - wonder if he backed off just a bit afterwards? Minnaar in 4th, so he's still in touch with Gwin, but if it continues to stay dry the overall is a foregone conclusion IMO. Crazy to see how many of the top 30 guys pulled back a lot of time after the first split.

Rach also looked like she put it on cruise control towards the end, as she was up big at the first 2 splits, but then was only up by ~2 secs over Manon - or I suppose Manon could've laid down the law late in the run, similar to the way she did at MSA last year (seemingly way behind for almost 3/4 of the run, then somehow made up huge chunks of time on Rach to take a narrow win).

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
Looks liek Elliot Jackson may make it through. Steve Peat did not :( lots of bad qualies by good riders. Mike Jones DNF (but protected I think), Sik Mik barely makes it through, same for The Ginger Ninja and Hill. Looks like a tough day all around for CRC. Pretty poor showing by Sam Dale as well. Could be some long waits on the hot seat.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
:kiss:
I made it in the WC forecast!

Well, that's not quite correct. The pizza Margherita as we know it with tomatos, Basil and Oregano was first served in Napoli, which is clearly Southern Italy.

So there you have it: Pizzeria->specialized in Southern Italian food.

Still trying to make it to Val di sole tomorrow. Not sure if I can make it possible.
Who is Brandi, and what does she know about pizza?!

DH Dad

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
MA
T-broz in the pole position, but the Rock Floater threw down a hellaciously fast 1st split - wonder if he backed off just a bit afterwards? Minnaar in 4th, so he's still in touch with Gwin, but if it continues to stay dry the overall is a foregone conclusion IMO. Crazy to see how many of the top 30 guys pulled back a lot of time after the first split.
For the numbers geeks Minaar would have to win tomorrow and Gwin finish 32nd or lower or finish 2nd and Gwin finish 72nd or lower. I would love to see Gwin racing for the win tomorrow but the realist in me tells me he rides it on the safe side to avoid any chance of flatting or mechanical and comes in top 20 (riding safe for him might still be top 10). I say he strategically wraps up the overall and stays 100% healthy for Worlds. But I still hope he ignores all that logic and pins it tomorrow leaving us jaw dropping again:)

Unless of course Minaar is already out of top two by the time his run comes up then he gets to race knowing he already has the overall in hand.

Brosnan or Bruni for the win tomorrow.

Last edited:

DH Dad

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
MA
Damn, the Specialized guys are over ahead.
Brosnan last man on the hill tomorrow.
There's already 260 pre 2015/27.5 Demos for sale on PB, now that numbers just going to go up! What more can Spesh ask for bringing their new DH frame to market this year. 2016s will be sold out in no time!

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
right after pety's crash, DID YOU SEE GWIN FLOAT OVER THOSE FUGGING ROCKS while everyone else was pogoing around? crazy.

looked like peaty's leg got sucked under the bridge and slammed into a support.

those bridges are trbl and unnecessary. wtf are they there (or at least not grip taped or chicken wired or something)?

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
The bridges seem super sketchy. Say what you want about everyone having to ride the same stuff, but it's surprising they would include them on a track everyone else agrees is otherwise super rad. It's like the builders had no clue how fast these guys go, which is hard to believe.

Apparently they are "partly" chicken-wired, which sounds possibly worse than no wire at all. I heard they are working on fixes. Let's hope so.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
I'm thinking they will have all of them chicken-wired. Even more after Peatty's nasty crash. Seems like he got his calf pinched by a nail or a screw under that ladder bridge.

Plus in Claudio's run you can see Connor steamrolling some of them. They reminded me of those stupid things they put in that redbull event in China, the one where mcGazza boiled his brakes off. They seem to be more of an obstacle rather than an advantage.