Quantcast

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
i suppose Tora! Tora! Tora! spoiled me on Pearl Harbor movies...

i thought Pearl Harbor was more of a chick type war flick. i have it in my collect but havent viewed is since it went to video.
After watching The Longest Day and Midway as a kid, I don't have the patience to watch another 3 hour WWII movie.

I hear it is ok, though, although I was disappointed to learn that Kurosawa worked on it unsuccessfully. He almost killed himself over his failure to complete this film.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I saw a few good historical war movies in college, but I don't remember what they were. The only decent "Hollywood" war movie I've seen is U571.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Agreed. Band of Brothers is one of my all time favs. Generation Kill is actually a pretty good depiction of life in the forces (So I hear).
Generation Kill was very good. I admit I never read the book, but the series was well worth watching.

Riding

Monkey
Dec 19, 2006
Millis, MA
From My DVD Collection:

Already mentioned:
Band of Brothers
Saving Private Ryan
Blackhawk Down
A Bridge Too Far
Red Dawn
Hamburger Hill
Apocalypse Now
Full Metal Jacket
Platoon

Not mentioned yet
Great Escape
Braveheart
Gladiator
Dogs of War

Others I don't have that I catch from time to time:
Dirty Dozen
Thin Red Line <-- I hated this movie at first, but I love the cinematography
We were soldiers
Flags of our Fathers and Letters from Iwo Jima
Boys in Company C
Mister Roberts
To Hell and Back
Empire of the Sun

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
whats the one where there is a crew of a Lee/Grant tank holed up at a water well in the middle of the north African desert in WWII? It's from the black & white era..

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
Please...not even close to being historically accurate...
Two incredibly good looking Soviet snipers find love in the rubble of Stalingrad...ughhh. Not in my list.
dood...are you out of your mind?! the sex scene is friggin awesome...nothing like quiet sex in between a bunch of sleeping dirty people when you haven't had a shower in weeks. .

one more movie to add:

chuck norris:
missing in action :D