Quantcast

Verizon Iphone 4... should I?

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
Should I get the Iphone4 for verizon? thoughts? I am hearing that they are coming out with something new in march, anyone hear this?

Im not much of a electronic geek so any help would be appreciated.

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
CBJ, care to explain why?

so what if I get tanner and hairgel all over the phone.... joeyfreakinwyckoff

insanitylevel9

triple nubby
Jan 7, 2011
hopkinton ma
i wouldn't because i have gone through 3 of the casio bomb proof phones. if you want one get one Verizon gives you 30 days before your stuck with it.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I haven't heard about anything new in March, but I think they're supposed to be coming out with the iPhone 5 in June/July. Rumors were that it's HD, video chat enabled, and can be used as a portable WiFi hotspot.

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
I have an iPhone that I really like, and hate AT&T. For a couple of reasons I'm waiting to switch.

There's been a new iPhone every June or July since 2007. It's likely there will be a new one this year. I have no idea what the improvements will be except that I expect it will be 4g.

With the current tech, you can't use voice and data simultaneously on Verizon. It looks like that will be changing, but not with the iPhone 4.

Abstrakt51

Monkey
Oct 11, 2006
OC
IPhone 4? Yes. Iphone 4 on big red? No simultaneous voice & data, no want. Plus, I heard the Iphone 5 will be released with software that will allow it to give you a hand job so it might be worth the wait. Either way, I would wait until Verizon gets their network in check before committing. Keep in mind that their buyers remorse program will be shortened to only 14 days (from the standard 30) so I would wait until the big rush dies, unless you feel like waiting in line for hours to return your phone should you hate it.

Abstrakt51

Monkey
Oct 11, 2006
OC
if I wait for iphone 5, iphone 6 will be out shortly after so should I just wait for that?
Ahhh yes, the question so many potential Intense owners are faced it. ;)

Back on topic, hopefully the iphone 5 or 4gS will be equipped to handle LTE/4G/whatever the fook you want to call it. I expect the iphone 5gs or 6 to not have any significant changes that'll be a game changer.

Last edited:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Also heard all the verizon iphone's data up/down streams were significantly slower than at&t's. In the range of 2mbps slower at worst.
That's absolutely true. AT&T's max data speeds far exceed Verizon's.

However, in practice, it's not really like that. Running speed tests on my iPhone 3GS gave me only small speed increases over my speed tests on my Droid X in most areas. Additionally, I would frequently be thrown into Edge coverage on my 3GS when traveling, whereas I don't think I've ever been out of 3G coverage with my X. I won't even go into the many times where I simply had no coverage on AT&T. Coverage trumps bandwidth every time.

When you add that to the type of internet usage most people experience on their cell phone, maximum bandwidth becomes even less important. Streaming YouTube and the like will be slower, but most web browsing/email/Facebook/etc. will be pretty similar.

So.. The numbers say the difference is big. In practice, it's not that great, though.

The VZW iPhone confuses me a little. Can't figure out why they'd release a new phone a paltry few months before the expected yearly upgrade. OTOH, it's almost inevitable that this upgrade will be an incremental change, and no 4G, so maybe they're banking on the upgrade not being significant enough to lose a few months of sales.

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
iphone 4 locked and confirmed for shipping feb. 10th. so freaking pumped on being stoked about this flippin ridiculously awesome piece of cell phone toolage you have no idea.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
I just got the Droid X a week before X-mas. Then of course right after that they announce that Verizon will be getting the iphone. The X is a little on the larger side, but works pretty slick. I'll hold on to the X and wait until the iphone goes through it's teething pains. Then possibly jump to the iphone 5, when they go to 4G.

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
I just got the Droid X a week before X-mas. Then of course right after that they announce that Verizon will be getting the iphone. The X is a little on the larger side, but works pretty slick. I'll hold on to the X and wait until the iphone goes through it's teething pains. Then possibly jump to the iphone 5, when they go to 4G.
if you want you can return it and I believe they give you 250 bucks credit for it towards iphone4

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
iphone 5 wont be 4G.
it would be a good idea to wait for the new one to arrive to see how VZW's network handles the increased activity with the current Iphone 4

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
I have an HTC with 4G, and honestly I like it better than my friends Iphones.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Do you have a track bike, and a XC bike? You have an AM hard tail? Or a BMX racer????? I doubt you have one for every aspect of riding
he doesn't have a track bike as he has no need for it. but yes to everything else. i'm pretty sure shrek used to race BMX too. and I'd put money on him being a far better rider than you.

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
Do you have a track bike, and a XC bike? You have an AM hard tail? Or a BMX racer????? I doubt you have one for every aspect of riding
pretty sure I got it covered, I dont live in the city or ride fag fix gear bikes. No need for that around here, wasted money.

I have a dope XC bike and getting another real soon. thanks.

I have 2 downhill bikes spec'd very nicely

a BMX race bike

a Cruiser/hardtail bike

an old 70's Raleigh in rootbeer with a banana seat on it.

a BMX flatland bike

a 110cc pit bike

a bike with bull horns on it to get wild and chase people down when im drunk, brakeless too.

a very nicely spec'd road bike.

old photo some bikes have been replaced with newer models:

Thanks for your concern I think I have enough bikes. Need a new cell phone for personal business use.

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
You'll be stoked Dennis. I'm typing this with my cracked 3GS that kicks ass, with no real need to upgrade... Luckily for me, ATT service is great where I live.