Quantcast

Upgrade my bighit and race, or sell it and buy something else?

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
So basically, I own a bighit. I work at a shop. I want a nice DH rig, but I also want a nice All mountain full suspension bike. I'm considering upgrading my bighit with a better fork (Boxxer team) and eventually the wheels, shock, and cranks. But for the money it cost to upgrade, its almost worth just buying a different bike (Again, I work at a shop...so prices are different for me).

Heres my question, should I keep the bighit and upgrade it as a stict DH rig and buy an All-mountain bike like an SX-trail or Rocky Mountain Slayer SXC 90 over the summer when I get cash. Or, should I sell my bighit for what its worth now (cut my losses) and buy an SX-trail, Demo 7 II, Demo 8 II, or RM RMX team and use it as my all around bike?

I'm aware an RMX and Demos arnt all mountain bikes, but if its top of the line, I cant complain working a little harder...I just like how thoughs bikes feel like you can plow threw anything, where the SX is a little less "burly".

Anyhow, heres my bike...I'm open for opinions. I'm just trying to figure out what I want to do, and as always, need some peoples opinons to help persuade me.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and I want to race the bike for DH this coming season, as I can drive now...

El Gordo

Monkey
Aug 15, 2007
Vernon, NJ
Really up to you, and how much you like your hit.. If you love that bike and want to keep it then its worth upgrading if you are really thinking of a new bike then go for it cause you will regret it later.

fellow pinner

Monkey
May 18, 2007
over there
why are your bars so high up? if your thinking of an 08 then your gonna spend alot of money new demo full bikes are around 6000 alot
when you could get a ironhorse sunday or a santacruz v10 for less.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
Well one of my co-workers (the only other hrdcor DH-FR guy) says I should keep the bighit because its the 24" version.

I personally think theirs better things out there...

Problem is, I havent ridden many other bikes on the trail and drops and stuff...so I really dont know how well my bike handles compared to them.

TheMauler

Monkey
Sep 20, 2007
ya if you really enjoy the bike its worth the parts upgrade... but knows maybe you can beat that one up some more and just swap parts when you find another frame.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
why are your bars so high up? if your thinking of an 08 then your gonna spend alot of money new demo full bikes are around 6000 alot
when you could get a ironhorse sunday or a santacruz v10 for less.
I cant EP a V10, because santa cruz only sells them as a frame and a parts package, but doesnt sell both together at cost.

Although its an idea. And as for the Demos, remember...I work at a shop, 6grand translates to ALOT less for me.

And sorry about the bars, I forgot that rightside up is the new upside down...I'll be sure to flip them tomaro!

ya if you really enjoy the bike its worth the parts upgrade... but knows maybe you can beat that one up some more and just swap parts when you find another frame.
Like I said, I dont really know if I like my bike compared to others. And as for swapping parts, I can save alot of money if I buy a complete bike super cheap from the shop.

TheMauler

Monkey
Sep 20, 2007
well since yo u work at a shop why not just save a little and get a new bike ride it and then check out which you like better if you like the new bike better you can sell your current bike, but if you dont want to sell your current bike you could always sell a new bike alot easier and who know you might be able to make some money out of the deal

Bighitz

Chimp
Mar 18, 2005
Bay Area, CA
I was in you position a short while ago, I though my 05 bighit rode fine, then I tried a friends 05 demo 8 and realized how bad the bighit actually is, so I ended up buying a Demo. I would suggest doing the same.

Eren

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2006
mill creek, WA (now in Surrey UK)
Scott, EP on the parts kit and frame together for a v10 is 3300-3500. I dont really remeber anymore. . but a v10 would be way too much for an all around bike

But id say sell your bighit andd buy something like an RMX as you said, i would stay away from the demo 8, the 7 has better geometry for racing anyways, slacker, and lower BB.

My opnion for you if your looking for a good cheap DH bike is the transition blindside or the new cove std. Look it up in your 08 BTI catalog. Brad at spectrum has one and he said it is sick. Kris has one as well, so maybe hed be willing to let you ride around on one for a little.

and what brands do you have access to? transition, cove, specialized, rocky mountain?

Eren

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2006
well since yo u work at a shop why not just save a little and get a new bike ride it and then check out which you like better if you like the new bike better you can sell your current bike, but if you dont want to sell your current bike you could always sell a new bike alot easier and who know you might be able to make some money out of the deal
if you EP something you have to keep it for 6 months before selling it.

well your suppose to, haha

SnowboardinWA

Monkey
Feb 23, 2007
Tacoma, WA
Its usually a year. I regret waiting so long to EP my Yeti 303. When I finally did, Yeti said they weren't EPing them to my company any more...UGH!!!! Keep the Big Hit, race it for a year, see how it goes. That way you will know what you need and want. There will be other Big Hits out there racing so don't feel like you have an inferior bike.

haromtnbiker

Turbo Monkey
Oct 3, 2004
Cary, NC
I was in your same position during the spring. I wanted a new race bike, or else just keep the bighit and get a dhx or double barrel. I decided to get a new frame, and my new bike is a lot faster and stiffer. It really made me realize that the bighit really isn't that fast.

to

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
if you EP something you have to keep it for 6 months before selling it.

well your suppose to, haha
I have to keep it for a year.

And as for the brands, Santa cruz, Rocky mountain, Specialized, Trek, Gary Fisher.

But I COULD get a Transition as well.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
And I'll be honest, I'm interested in a Demo...just because I can get a killer deal on them for what you get...but its just to much bike for me, I think.

I suppose I could have it and just ride it for awhile till I can EP another bike, but it seems like theres better bikes for me...like the SX trail is probly my best option. Since I'm not super hard on my stuff, and I dont do anything BIG (8ft drop is my biggest so far) and its supposed to be a decent DH bike...but I sorta want to throw a double crown on it...

Eren

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2006
And I'll be honest, I'm interested in a Demo...just because I can get a killer deal on them for what you get...but its just to much bike for me, I think.

I suppose I could have it and just ride it for awhile till I can EP another bike, but it seems like theres better bikes for me...like the SX trail is probly my best option. Since I'm not super hard on my stuff, and I dont do anything BIG (8ft drop is my biggest so far) and its supposed to be a decent DH bike...but I sorta want to throw a double crown on it...
maybe the demo 7? thats not too much bike.

and scott, dont even think about saying its too heavy, look at your signature!

anyways, i would reccomend the demo 7, or maybe one of the new rocky mountain bikes? they look sick, well not aesthetically sick, but sick as in sick. haha you get the point

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
I think the 7 is the way to go. You'll get the sweet geo and not wallow in the travel as bad. You don't want to have a 24" tire for racing anyway. The D7's can be built up at less that 40 lbs too which is a plus.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
I think the 7 is the way to go. You'll get the sweet geo and not wallow in the travel as bad. You don't want to have a 24" tire for racing anyway. The D7's can be built up at less that 40 lbs too which is a plus.
Only bummer with selling the bighit, is I'll be selling your brakes I got from you!

EDIT: oh...and a demo 7 sounds good....but the problem is that for not much more I can get better, top of the line components....which is appealing.

P.S. I stripped one of the front bolts :-/...so now I use a nut and bolt to attach it.

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
hehe true, but if you really like them you could always sell w/o the brakes. I did that with my last bike and kept the Hopes and traded it out with the Hayes that came on my Demo 9. You never know though, try out the other brakes out there as well. It's always good to try out the new stuff for comparisons sake.

Jan 29, 2005
What I did was get an 07 demo frame for an absurd ep price, then ran an 8.5 eye to eye shock, makes for an excellent low travel, low slung dh frame

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
MB, have you gotten a chance to go out and ride other bikes at all? Maybe look into a Dirt demo somewhere near you to go play with some other suspension types. I know i already posted to get an SXT, but that was just looking for something thats alot better than the bighit. And teh whole 24 rear wheel, that was just a bad idea, slacks the bike, but it doesnt roll very well, stiff as hell, but it hangs on obstacles ETC. Try some different bikes out, get a feel for what your really looking for, then decide what you really want to do. Either way i do belive you will find yourself going away from the Bighit, not a great all around bike, was an innovative idea, just not what worked for most people

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
Yeah dirtymike, working at a shop I get to ride bikes all the time. I find my self folling in love with all the new stumpjumpers and trek EX bikes and what not...hell the new enduro even rides sweet compared to my bighit.

I havent ridden an SX trail yet though...my shop plans to get a few in though...

And as for the brakes, yeah I love Maguras and the Juicy ultimates.

I'm still trying to figure out what I want to do, I like the Demo 8 II parts and frame its self, but I think its to much bike for me. And I like the SX trail II ALOT, but I sorta want a double crown so I dont have to worry about twisting my bars in a crash and snapping cables and stuff...

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
You can always run a DC on the SXT. Im not personally fond of the Demo's suspension, but thats just me, some people love it, when you get a chance take an SXT out for a spin, might change your whole approach

P.S. I do like the New Enduro's alot, little too AM not enough DH for me though

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
you should get a demo 7 or 8.
if you dont want to spend so much why not a new big hit?
It would be a nice upgrade.
Because the best bighit is poo, and would basically be free after selling my current one...but still poo.

I dont want to build up from the frame because thats expensive, and I LIKE the things on the SX trail II, Demo 8 II, and RMX Team, I just have little things with each one that bug me.

SX Trail- I dont want to break stuff with a single crown
Demo 8- The bikes to much bike for me, I dont do stuff big enough to put it to use, plus its ugly.
RMX- The top tube is super high, and I hear alot of complaints of RM bikes not doing well with warrenties and problems with frames.

The RMX and SX trail seem to be my best bet so far...I wish the Santa Cruz VP-Free was cheaper for me or it would be on my list too :-/.

P.S. I'm not buying used! I'm buying new.

[Tha]Shovla

Monkey
Aug 28, 2007
Somewhere over the rainbow
Wow you are on the bubble about a lot of stuff. Couple of things...

1. you can race and do well (especially in your 1st season) on a single crown and even more especially if you run a 1.5 ht single grown AND you wont break a single crown.
2. Single crown saves weight and increases menuverability, important for a beginer racer.
3. if your gonna race, dont buy a Demo, buy a V10 or VPfree, far faster. Demos make awesome all around bikes but there are Race bred bikes out there in your companies list and the Demo aint one of em.
3.5 - Yes the demo is a big B!tHC and its a lot of bike to handle BUT... it wont be much bigger than your Big hit. I ride one and have ridden a Big hit and they arent too much different ... its still not on my top of list for you tho.
4. your have like 5 months starting in October before next march(when i consider the begining of the riding season) before you need to buy. so i recomend saving, riding a lot of peoples bikes, and not jumping to conclusion. Your just gonna have it sit in your basement anyway over the winter
5. Just save and buy a damn VPfree and be done with it ok. ... they dont call it the Robo Cop of the SC line for nothing. Its got more functions on it than a damn swiss army knife. and if you get a fork with travel adjust you will be able to pedal it up hills. Its a sick ride and you wont be sorry.

no charge for my .02$ :)

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
Nice write-up shovla, you hit about everything to a tea.

The ONE thing that I may not have put into everyone elses perspective, I plan to race maybe 3-5 times all of next year. I wont start racing until June though, because I'm in crew and cant get hurt while doing that and trying to go to nationals.

Also, I'm OK with a single crown fork, I just had an experience with one in the past where crashing down some strairs (It was wet...and I was to stupid to think about the strairs being angled) the bars twisted when I crashed and broke my brake cable...that seems like it could get expensive real fast while doing hard riding over a few years.

Oh, and I plan to have this bike for 2 years, atleast.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Actually following off SHovla, a VP free or a Socom with one of the New 66's would be an awesome all around bike, ready to race, and you can get teh 66 with ETA, making it an excellent climber, dropping and locking out all but 30mm of travel. I run the 1 1/8 version and i am 250, Been running SC's for a while now started with teh Z150, never bent or borken either teh z150 or the 66, the reinforced Steerer is absolutly awesome for strength, and there really is a considerable amount of manueverability.

P.S. My 07 66 sits at the exact height at My brothers 06 888, so Geo is Very DH when the ETA is inactive

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
You know Scott, any bike will be fine, i mean your number one goal is just getting your camera around isnt it? At least thats all you do when we ride :busted: :imstupid:
we rode twice...so yes it was all I did. Especially with the fact i just got it. I bring it like 1/3rd of the time now, only when theres something worth getting a picture of.

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
[Tha]Shovla;2689044 said:
3. if your gonna race, dont buy a Demo, buy a V10 or VPfree, far faster. Demos make awesome all around bikes but there are Race bred bikes out there in your companies list and the Demo aint one of em.
no charge for my .02$ :)
The VP is a great bike all around bike, but the Demo 8 is better geared for racing. The Demos have the geo, weight and low bb that you need for racing. The VPFree has a higher bb and geo for good all around use.

If I had to pick 1 bike, it would be the SXT or the 7 since you can get a sweet deal on them. The 7 will be a pig for the trail rides, but it can easily take a DC fork and they come in about 40lbs stock. The SXT can do about 90% of what the 7 does and will save you about 5lbs. You can also stick a DC on the SXT, but it would just have to be a 7 inch travel fork.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
You're how old, 16? When I was 16 my bike cost me $300, which isn't too different than a $300 bike today, except it didn't have a suspension fork (yeah, I'm that old.) I had more money but I choose to save it while I could, I put some money in a CD and made a lot of interest over a few years (close to 10%.) I was able to pay cash for my wife's engagement ring, I paid cash for a used car, I paid cash for just about everything I needed through college because I had the money in savings.

I'm not saying you should never spend money on anything you want, but I see it this way, you just spent about a grand on a new camera, you've already spent a lot on your Big Hit, you are going to race next year and that will cost money. Right now you have the opportunity to save a ton of money because you don't make enough to pay a lot of taxes, you don't pay rent or utilities, you aren't paying for your insurance (auto or health) all that will drain you in 3 years when you start working full time during the summer at college.

You keep saying that you aren't a good enough rider to use a Demo 8, what makes you think you are too good for a big hit?