Quantcast

Upgrade my bighit and race, or sell it and buy something else?

Eren

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2006
mill creek, WA (now in Surrey UK)
You're how old, 16? When I was 16 my bike cost me $300, which isn't too different than a $300 bike today, except it didn't have a suspension fork (yeah, I'm that old.) I had more money but I choose to save it while I could, I put some money in a CD and made a lot of interest over a few years (close to 10%.) I was able to pay cash for my wife's engagement ring, I paid cash for a used car, I paid cash for just about everything I needed through college because I had the money in savings.

I'm not saying you should never spend money on anything you want, but I see it this way, you just spent about a grand on a new camera, you've already spent a lot on your Big Hit, you are going to race next year and that will cost money. Right now you have the opportunity to save a ton of money because you don't make enough to pay a lot of taxes, you don't pay rent or utilities, you aren't paying for your insurance (auto or health) all that will drain you in 3 years when you start working full time during the summer at college.

You keep saying that you aren't a good enough rider to use a Demo 8, what makes you think you are too good for a big hit?
very well put. But like you said hes 16. He wants to take advantage of his employee discount and wants a killer bike, maybe after thats paid for, he'll save. Your only a teenager once, do what you want before you actually have to pay for food, clothes, housing, car, everything!

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
You keep saying that you aren't a good enough rider to use a Demo 8, what makes you think you are too good for a big hit?
I never said I'm too good for my bighit, anyone can rock that bike for a long time. But lets put it this way. I dont pay for anything yet, and I wont until I'm done with college. I've ridden the best, and I like it. I CAN buy the best, so I'm going to. Like Eren was saying, your only young once, so why not buy the best?

And is there really such a thing as being to good for anything? I know guy's who throw down on stuff thats been around for 5 years, or some of the lower end stuff on the market today, alot of them would own half the guy's on this board with 2grand plus bikes...so lets not start with me and my bike. Look at it this way, if you could go to a bike shop and pick out any bike you wanted with no strings attached, you would get the best regardless of weather you "needed" or "deserved" it, I'm in a similar situation and I'm going to take advantage of it.

P.S. For the record, I own a car, my parents will pay my college, and I dont plan to marry until I have a steady job AFTER college.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
The VP is a great bike all around bike, but the Demo 8 is better geared for racing. The Demos have the geo, weight and low bb that you need for racing. The VPFree has a higher bb and geo for good all around use.

If I had to pick 1 bike, it would be the SXT or the 7 since you can get a sweet deal on them. The 7 will be a pig for the trail rides, but it can easily take a DC fork and they come in about 40lbs stock. The SXT can do about 90% of what the 7 does and will save you about 5lbs. You can also stick a DC on the SXT, but it would just have to be a 7 inch travel fork.
I appreciate the advice! And I think your right about the demo being a good race bike. But it looks like its coming down to the SX trail. As you said, the SX can be alot lighter then the Demo. And since racing is only a few times a year...that can benefit me more over time.

I wish a VP bike was a little more affordable :-/

[Tha]Shovla

Monkey
Aug 28, 2007
Somewhere over the rainbow
PSSSSSST .... VPFREE ... u wont be sorry. it might out last you :) ... I ride Special ed bikes ( SPECIAL iz ED ;) ) and my roomate has the entire SC bike line up in our basement, from Jakal to V10 and everything in between so i have a lot of comparison between the two brands. VPFREE all the way. it will pedal like an XC hardtail, jump like a 20" bike and decend like a stone. If your choices are an SXT or a VP free i would recomend being patient and saving your green until you can afford a VP. but ill stop beating the horse. good luck with your decision.