Quantcast

UCI: Neko Mullaly now offical 2011 US Pro DH champion

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
My mom actually pointed this link out to me.
I am amused than my 69 year old mother reads Decline.

"the UCI does not, at National Championship level, recognize the junior category and as the results were awarded UCI points based on scratch results (irrespective of category), Neko, as the fastest rider, is the National Champion under UCI rules. This is also the case in Canada and Norway this year."

All I have to say to that is EAST COAST ROX.

milohead

Monkey
Dec 9, 2008
Johnson City, Tn
Just what we need. Last year's drama. If there's no fresh racing drama this year, get some stale stuff and sprinkle it on.
:popcorn:
Logan Bignelli didn't like it a couple weeks back when Ian Hylands made the mistake of saying the UCI recognized Neko and not himself.
Took much offense. I guess it is weighing heavily on his mind this last year.

thom9719

Turbo Monkey
Jul 25, 2005
In the Northwest.
Dislike. While Neko did have the fastest time of the day, the juniors raced at a different time of day, in a different final, in different conditions, with different pressures, etc. I'm also not sure if they did a qualifier? Logan won the race fair and square, they named him National Champion that day. In the world cup, they run the juniors with the men for an "elite" category. US national champs is run differently with 2 separate categories.

Per UCI rule book.

4.3.001 A single run format must be used. This may involve either:
• a qualifying run, called the qualifying round following which a predetermined number of riders
§ 1set by the particular race regulations are admitted to the final. The fastest rider of the final is
declared the winner (the system used for the world cup).
• a run that determines the start order for a single run in which the rider with the fastest time wins.

The second bullet point is the sustem USAC uses. A qualifying run was used to determine start order for the Pro Men. The rider with the fastest time in that final was Logan. Per their own rule, Logan wins.

Moral of this story. UCI sucks. Logan won and should be recognized for being National Champ.

-KT

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
Dislike. While Neko did have the fastest time of the day, the juniors raced at a different time of day, in a different final, in different conditions, with different pressures, etc. I'm also not sure if they did a qualifier? Logan won the race fair and square, they named him National Champion that day. In the world cup, they run the juniors with the men for an "elite" category. US national champs is run differently with 2 separate categories.
I agree with you in principle, but doesn't the issue of UCI points as referenced in the first post trump the rule you've listed here?

milohead

Monkey
Dec 9, 2008
Johnson City, Tn
the juniors raced at a different time of day, in a different final, in different conditions, with different pressures, etc.
-KT
How is slop at 1 o'clock different from slop at 3? And different pressures, what....tire pressures? I'm sure Neko wanted to run with the big boys but he couldn't and still layed down the law.

thom9719

Turbo Monkey
Jul 25, 2005
In the Northwest.
I agree with you in principle, but doesn't the issue of UCI points as referenced in the first post trump the rule you've listed here?
While I don't really agree with the UCI points issue, I'm not to bothered with the points. I imagine the title is more what Logan cares about. The National Champ was the guy that won the pro mens final.

Note: This in NO WAY is a diss against Neko. He was the fastest on the day and deserves credit for that, but it was a different class.

-KT

thom9719

Turbo Monkey
Jul 25, 2005
In the Northwest.
How is slop at 1 o'clock different from slop at 3? And different pressures, what....tire pressures? I'm sure Neko wanted to run with the big boys but he couldn't and still layed down the law.
The slop was different throughout the day as at any venue where it rains. As for pressures, I'm sure Neko had much less pressure knowing he was racing for a Jr X title. I'd imagine he would have pushed it much harder if he knew Gwin was his competition.

-KT

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
The slop was different throughout the day as at any venue where it rains. As for pressures, I'm sure Neko had much less pressure knowing he was racing for a Jr X title. I'd imagine he would have pushed it much harder if he knew Gwin was his competition.

-KT
i like to make excuses when i dont win too

1000 congrats to Neko

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
While I don't really agree with the UCI points issue, I'm not to bothered with the points. I imagine the title is more what Logan cares about. The National Champ was the guy that won the pro mens final.
Right, but isn't the fact that points were awarded the determining factor in erasing the distinction between age groups?

I could be misreading the text from the article, though.

thom9719

Turbo Monkey
Jul 25, 2005
In the Northwest.
i like to make excuses when i dont win too

1000 congrats to Neko
No one is making any excuses. Logan won the Pro Mens final on that day. He is our National Champ according to the USAC presentation that day.

Yes, Neko went fast. Neko is an amazing rider, but like in years past, Jr's were not allowed to compete with the Pros at that race.

-KT

thom9719

Turbo Monkey
Jul 25, 2005
In the Northwest.
EDIT:

I just read the Decline article. It sounds like USAC is still going to recognize Logan as the National Champ. UCI just recognizes Neko as the points winner. Correct me if I'm wrong.

It looks to me like USAC needs to organize the National champs to fall in line with the UCI points system. (Juniors should have to race with the pro's)

-KT

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Titles shmitles - only Neko and Logan (B) should be this fussed about it.

Neko fastest down same track -- everyone benefits/suffers from changing conditions, no need to seek excuses. This is an administrative issue, reality says Neko fastest, fastest is winner.

Time for some soup.

milohead

Monkey
Dec 9, 2008
Johnson City, Tn
I'd imagine he would have pushed it much harder if he knew Gwin was his competition.

-KT
I think Neko gave the same effort he would have in pro class.

The competition is still the clock.
Otherwise Sam Hill would not have blew that corner at Val Di Sole in 08 while he was 8 seconds up on Peaty.

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
EDIT:

I just read the Decline article. It sounds like USAC is still going to recognize Logan as the National Champ. UCI just recognizes Neko as the points winner. Correct me if I'm wrong.
I read it as saying that because the results were awarded UCI points in an order determined regardless of category (all male riders lumped together) that the fastest finisher on the day gets the UCI points and the jersey. It looks like USAC could have avoided this by running the junior event on a different day, perhaps?

Edit: Decline needs to send that writer to English Composition 101 at the local CC.

Last edited:

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
This is very important stuff. Major cash bonuses are on the line and the out come could drasticlly affect the future of these young riders careers, as well as the security of their future families.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I think everyone needs to take a step back and realize that no money is lost by Logan here. It should be seen as something of a slap in the face is about all. Nothing more.

Nico and Anne Caro won juniors by miles at Worlds and were not given the senior medals by UCI ever. This changes nothing other than the Neko's sleeve. They will both still determine their own success with results and no sponsor is going to offer Logan any less than he deserves b/c of this UCI ruling.

While we are mountain bikers, you all seem to forget that the companies these guys work for love their riders and will take care of them no matter what's on their sleeve.

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
I'm wondering if anyone from the UCI noticed that there were two riders at Windham today sporting US National Champion jerseys. I wonder if that will be the case tomorrow too.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Logan still had his on??
He damn well should. It's not his fault usa cycling (as usual) prove themselves to be a bunch of incompetent fvcks.

Recognizing Neko as the fastest rider of the day is good. Stripping Logan would be bullshlt.

Two sleeves at world cups just shows the world that america is double awesome. And that USAC is the incompetent shlt storm it's always been.

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
He damn well should. It's not his fault usa cycling (as usual) prove themselves to be a bunch of incompetent fvcks.

Recognizing Neko as the fastest rider of the day is good. Stripping Logan would be bullshlt.

Two sleeves at world cups just shows the world that america is double awesome. And that USAC is the incompetent shlt storm it's always been.
moar rep