Quantcast

Turner DHR or SC V10

Jul 17, 2003
Salt Lake City
I suppose I should clarifiy my original post. Turner doesn't recommend hucking the DHR around like a Brooklyn. The tubing isn't mega thick, and it's not designed for the stresses of doing huge drops to flat. It probably feels great doing Red Bull stunts but the fact of the matter is the manufacturer has said it's a bad idea, and Dave Turner is not a dumb guy. I don't think the bike would struggle with durability at Whistler or something like that, but it simply doesn't have the absolute brute strength of a bike like an Armageddon or a Yeti DH9. On the other side of the coin, a DH9 weighs about 13.5 pounds if I remember correctly, and the DHR weighs 11.2.

People can make whatever arguments they want about Kyle Straight and Tyler Claussen. Did you know Richie Schley used to travel around with spare swingarms in his gear bag? The bottom line is most consumers, even people "in the know," generally don't know anything about what the top guys are actually riding. Cedric is not racing a Cannondale that you can buy at your dealer. Jill Kitner's M1 from last year wasn't the same frame as the ones we had hanging from our ceiling. I think it's important for everybody on the board to remember that when people come in here asking for advice, we shouldn't say things like "dude, NaPalm used to RIIIIIIIIP on a Specialized so the Demo 9 is going to KILL IT this year!" That doesn't help anybody out, you know what I mean? Enough banter, if Scott reads this manifesto I'm going to get fired ;)

chaloots

Chimp
Mar 16, 2004
dirty jerz via Bklyn
Originally posted by OGRipper
That said, you still haven't told us if you're racing, if you like to jump, or really what style you prefer (other than saying you're pretty smooth). . But if pure speed is your thing I think you're on track by looking at the DHR or V10 and you can't really go wrong with either one.

i havent raced yet but friends of mine do it and i'll probably give it a go this season.i like to jump,drops are fun but i'wont be doing 12" to flat anytime soon. the terrain around here is real rocky and rooty .i love very techincal trails.all out speed is fun too it helps ya clear stuff . hope that helps

how much heavier is the ventana than the dhr?

i just checked out a v10 in person but it wasnt built so that didnt help much.it looked nice!one thing i dont like is the 5th elemnt on it .i havent had good experiences w/them.i had a leaky one on my bullit and now on my heckler even after being serviced.

:rolleyes: ;)

rideagainst

Monkey
Apr 8, 2004
CA
i was wondering about this too, what is the weight o fthe el cuervo, is it "flickable" or does it plow? How does it handle drops and big doubles?

James | Go-Ride said:
I suppose I should clarifiy my original post. Turner doesn't recommend hucking the DHR around like a Brooklyn. The tubing isn't mega thick, and it's not designed for the stresses of doing huge drops to flat. It probably feels great doing Red Bull stunts but the fact of the matter is the manufacturer has said it's a bad idea, and Dave Turner is not a dumb guy. I don't think the bike would struggle with durability at Whistler or something like that, but it simply doesn't have the absolute brute strength of a bike like an Armageddon or a Yeti DH9. On the other side of the coin, a DH9 weighs about 13.5 pounds if I remember correctly, and the DHR weighs 11.2.

People can make whatever arguments they want about Kyle Straight and Tyler Claussen. Did you know Richie Schley used to travel around with spare swingarms in his gear bag? The bottom line is most consumers, even people "in the know," generally don't know anything about what the top guys are actually riding. Cedric is not racing a Cannondale that you can buy at your dealer. Jill Kitner's M1 from last year wasn't the same frame as the ones we had hanging from our ceiling. I think it's important for everybody on the board to remember that when people come in here asking for advice, we shouldn't say things like "dude, NaPalm used to RIIIIIIIIP on a Specialized so the Demo 9 is going to KILL IT this year!" That doesn't help anybody out, you know what I mean? Enough banter, if Scott reads this manifesto I'm going to get fired ;)

great point!....I ride a DHR and wouldnt do anything like i did with my super and monster T....and I dont get custome made frames...so I will tread lightly! :D ;)

Jul 17, 2003
Salt Lake City
rideagainst said:
i was wondering about this too, what is the weight o fthe el cuervo, is it "flickable" or does it plow? How does it handle drops and big doubles?
Frame weight is 11.5 pounds for a medium (with axle and shock, no floating brake). For comparison, the 2003 M1 medium weighed 11 pounds, the Foes DHS Mono is 12.2 (ti spring on the Curnutt), The DHR is 11.2 pounds, and the DH9 is 12.5. "Flickable" is going to depend way more on your parts build than the frame itself. The Cuervos I've ridden with a stock 888 felt a little floppy and slow, but with a shorter fork or with our crowns on the 888 the bike feels every bit as sporty as my Tomac or the Foes Mono frames we were riding last year. If you were to put an Avy MTN10 or a new Monster T up from, the bike would definitely be more of a bear in the corners, but if it's built right they corner better than almost every other DH frame I've ridden, the Turner is probably the next closest thing, and the two have advantages in different types of turns.

Drops and doubles? Again, parts are going to play a key role here, but the frame is strong enough for those sort of things (some of you may remember at Karpiel's peak, Ventana was making their mainframes; the Cuervo has the same downtube that the Armageddon used when Karp made them, only now they're using a higher quality aluminum. It's still 6061 but Ventana is now buying Alcoa or something like that).