Quantcast

Turner DHR or SC V10

Jul 17, 2003
Salt Lake City
I'm aware that we're not a Santa Cruz dealer but I'll try not to be biased. The DHR is a much more race-specific bike, and shouldn't be used for big drops and whatnot. The V10 is a good race bike but has the beef for burlier use. If your buddy wants a bike specifically designed for winning races, tell him to pick up a DHR. If he wants to race sometimes and do big road gaps, then he should go V10. I won't even shamelessly promote the Ventana El Cuervo in this post ;)

DHCorky

Monkey
Aug 5, 2003
Headed to the lift...
For a fun responsive bike I would go with the DHR.

For a dead feeling bike that just plows down the hill go with the V-10.

It all depends on how you want to get to the bottom of the hill. I was on a V-10 last year and it was a great bike but to me it had no personality, you just held on. I am really enjoying my Recoil this year except it pedals like crap. Trying to find a way to afford the DHR I have on order. Does not look like I will be able too:(

Shmoe

Monkey
Oct 23, 2001
Calgary, Canada eh?
You cant really go wrong, im with James @ Go-ride though. I went with the v10 this season as I race, yet still do other aspects of biking. I was really considering the turner, but mostly it just came down to the fact that I wanted a bike with a 5th element.

Not to mention the V10 went down in price tons this year, it worked out to 3/4 or less the price of the turner.

duff-man

Chimp
Oct 2, 2001
Fresno, Ca.
Originally posted by bibs
I ride a 04' DHR and I would go that route...its totally free-ride-able its sweet, light , strong no rear end twiating, its a tough rig!... I love it...
Is that fat tire ale in the background?

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
You'd think hucking (well doing gaps and drops etc...) the turner would hold it's own. It's got a wide beefy stiff rear end, single pivot for the most part, Stable shock, and a 1.5 headtube.

I know my Intense I've seen droped, hucked, and everything in between and have seen them snap, but I'd have no questions trying to if I had the balls. Same goes with a turner, santa cruz, whatever. Any frame will brake given enough stress and force. Doesn't matter.

Intense, Turner, Santa Cruz, every major bike maker makes frames that are ment to be on a race course. Doesn't mean they have to be, but they make them for that. I look at a DH rig as a DH rig in any aspect.

I'd have to say the V10 for hucking/drops though. You get a little more travel and some beefy tubing. The turner could do it, but you better be smooth with her or she's gonna buck you.

Fury

Monkey
Oct 9, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I've never had more fun riding a bike than I have on my DHR. It jumps, corners, handles steeps, and pedals better than any DH bike I've ever ridden.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
When the V10 came out didn't everyone say it was for racing and not hucking. Then Super T shows up to the Rampage and now its a hucking bike that you can race. Funny how that works.

That being said I have ridden both and I think riding style might help make the decision better. I would say a BMX type rider or a converted XC rider might enjoy the DHR better, because its light weight, very nimble, and quick in the tight turns. However someone who rides in a straight line, doesn't hop and skip throught rock gardens, and plows over stuff would enjoy the V10 better. But you can win on both if you decide to race with either.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Originally posted by profro
When the V10 came out didn't everyone say it was for racing and not hucking. Then Super T shows up to the Rampage and now its a hucking bike that you can race. Funny how that works.

That being said I have ridden both and I think riding style might help make the decision better. I would say a BMX type rider or a converted XC rider might enjoy the DHR better, because its light weight, very nimble, and quick in the tight turns. However someone who rides in a straight line, doesn't hop and skip throught rock gardens, and plows over stuff would enjoy the V10 better. But you can win on both if you decide to race with either.
wanna swap bikes one run at Windrock.....you know you wanna feel my 8" 888. then you can write a real deal review of a DHR.:sneaky:

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Originally posted by bizutch
wanna swap bikes one run at Windrock.....you know you wanna feel my 8" 888. then you can write a real deal review of a DHR.:sneaky:
Sure. I rode Josh's 02 DHR at Windrock and it gave be brake jack like no body's business. I don't know if it was how he had his shock setup or if it was the design, but my arms and legs were sore from one run on his bike. But I did like how it handled otherwise.

I didn't mean that the DHR can't plow, it just felt like its well suited to hoping and skipping through stuff because it so light and nimble. Whereas the V10 is glued to the ground and its much harder to lift over stuff.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
brake jack....BS.

Steve Peat, Minnarr, Hannah, Voulliouz, Gracia...all sitting on top of world cup podiums on single pivots.

If you're getting brake jack, you're not riding fast enough.

Ride mine Dug...you'll change your tune.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Originally posted by bizutch
Ride mine Dug...you'll change your tune.
No tune. I am complementing the bike actually. Like I said it might have been how he setup his shock???? I really like the DHRs from the little I have ridden Jeremy's and Bloch's 'around the parking lot' ;) . Fortunately I am sponsored by Yeti and I am super stoked to be riding a DH9.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Originally posted by UiUiUiUi
can you help me getting a good deal on a 4x? ;) :D
Right :blah:

I would like to get one myself, but I still have to pay. I thinking I set aside some money and try to get one next year.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
This brings up a interesting point about what kind of bike should people ride considering their styles.
For example, Butch is a straight-line plow style rider. Before he got a DHR, I don't know if I ever saw his wheels leave the ground.
Now, our riding styles are more similar. A little point and shoot, and lot of jumping over obstacles for smoother lines.
What I am getting at here, is that if you are more of one type of rider, then maybe getting a bike that excels at your weakness will make you a faster rider overall.

As far as the DHR, my favorite thing to ride is rock gardens.
Both point and shoot style, and the type that you jump and double etc... through. Low and nimble bikes work well is this area. And I do not get any troublesome brake interference
on anything that I ride. The DHR is just a plain fun bike to ride, and that is pretty much all there is to it. I can't compare it to the V10, as I have only bounced and dry humped one in a parking lot. Plus, it really is not very fair to compare bikes that you have barely ridden.
The V10 felt nice, and people that I know rip it up on them.

The sad part it that if a rider is faster than you, he is gonna be faster on barely even a decent bike even if you have the best possible setup in the world.
But Hey, we need all the advantages we can get.

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
Right :blah:

I would like to get one myself, but I still have to pay. I thinking I set aside some money and try to get one next year.
never said i am not going to pay for it.
its just hard for me to justify a price for the 4x which is higher then what i pay for my DH rig...

the sad thing is the bike is simply nonexistant here.
even called the distributor, and they had zero info about it :(

i want one, will sell a kidney for it :)

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I rode Josh's 02 DHR and JP's 03 V10 down trail one at Windrock and this is what I thought. Whenever I try someone else's bike I always take the 'I'll take it easy' attitude. However before the upper rock garden I was attacking the V10 harder than my bike. I felt at home on it immediately. The bike was fast. That was even with it set up for JPs buck fifty weight. Whereas I was much more hesitent on Josh's DHR. I noticed that it responded much quicker to rider input and cornered much better at slower speed, techy stuff. However in the rock gardens and steeps I felt very uncomfortable and in the long sweeping right hander before the Ewok drop at the bottom I could barely hang onto the pedals or handlebars. That being said I think Josh's DHR is too small for me and I am not used to riding that steep of a head angle, even on a trail bike. So I was much more at home on a V10. That being said I would take a V10 over a 02 DHR, but I'd take a DH9 over both. It has a nice mix of both. It wants to go straight and plow, but doesn't stick to the ground like the V10. That was what was nice and bad about the V10 at the same time. But I have not ridden a 03 or 04 DHR, so I can't compare.

Universe

Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Courtenay, BC

You can't 'race' a demo 9 either....well until Kyle Strait starts racing one.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Originally posted by Universe
Specialized Pro Chris Herndon raced one last year and he seemed to not have any problems winning on his.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Other have already said it depends on your riding style, and that's true - it really depends on what you will use the bike for.

Don't have much experience with the DHR, but here's a few thoughts on the old and new v10.

The original is an awesome race bike, purpose built for getting you down the hill in a straight line as fast as possible. I agree with Acadian, it sticks to the ground like a magnet. It's hard to get off the ground (especially hard to pop of jump lips), and because it's more slack, it's kind of slow in the twisty stuff. With the vpp rear end, if you're shock is set up right it sprints (in a straight line) better than most big travel bikes.

It's a good "huck" bike if that means doing big drops where you just ride off a drop and hang on. (Slack angles, 10" of travel, burly build, etc.) Yes, Super T rode one, but he's riding a VP-Free now. If hucking means more varied stuff where you need to throw the bike around a lot, I'd suggest something more nimble, like...

The newer v10, which is a little lighter, and much easier to catch air by popping off stuff. Not sure if they shortened the wheelbase or something but it also feels a lot more nimble in the tight stuff. (That could be 'cuz of the lighter weight too). That said, I've only had a couple rides on it, and I don't know how long it will be before you can get one.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Specialized Pro Chris Herndon raced one last year and he seemed to not have any problems winning on his.
Ryan Taylor is also on a Demo 9 now. his first race on it was Massanutten 2 weeks ago. It had a long flat pedaling section on it....and he got 3rd pro class. That bike looks monstrous in person but he's the type of person who has the engine to make it go.

As for the comparing an 02 DHR to any V10, apples to oranges.

The current 03 & 04 DHR have an inch longer wheelbase, 8.5" of travel instead of 7.5", a Romic Shock, through axle instead of QR rear wheel, stronger, stiffer rear pivot with slightly different leverage ratio, and slacker head angle...so what you rode was shorter, had a more crude shock, ramped up quicker, had a super steep head angle and had a wee bit more flex in the rear.

Like I said, ride mine down Windrock one time. You'll see. -voice of Darth Vader- "Come with me to the dark side"

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Originally posted by Acadian
lots of pro and semi pro's around here also race Demo 9's, they also don't seem to slow them down! But then again, like Jeremy said, if you're really fast, you can be fast on pretty much any bike.
Amen to that! If you're fast, you're fast. Bike has not much to do with it at that point. I had a buddy riding when I got my Joyride and he had like a 8 year old cannondale. He'd ride cold springs with me and keep up but I'm not all that fast. I know if he had nothing in front of him, and a DH bike he'd be way ahead of me!. I am the perfect example of the bike doesn't make you a whole lot better, but add's just a bit.

Funny thing was I looked at DHR's and V10's while looking for a DH frame to build up. I opted for a Intense M1 though. IF I had to do it again since the M1 is no longer made I think the DHR would fit my bill. I liked the way the bike looked and all reviews of it were what I was after. I just got my M1 (granted used) for such a stellar deal I had to grab it. Plus $$$ was tight at the time.

The one thing I have seen that impresses me which I hope Turner/Santa Cruz/Intense whoever does is the multi-bearings in a pivot setup. The El Cuervo DH bike from Ventana looks like it is uber durable due to all this. I'm sure adding another 10 bearings adds a tad bit of weight but most likley adds lots of durability. I strive more for the durability then adding half a pound to the bike.

The bike is only as good as the rider is.

chaloots

Chimp
Mar 16, 2004
dirty jerz via Bklyn
+thanks for all the feedback guys i'm the friend guess?who? is talkin about. my head is really spinning now.let me give you a little more info.my current bike is a Brooklyn Machine Works TMX. its set-up super burly probaly weighing in at about 55-60 lbs. i want to get away from this style of bike and try somthing lighter and more nible. this season i just switched to a 26*26 wheel set-up and an liking the new top end speed as opposed to the 26*24 combo i was running . only thing is it feels more front end heavy now even w/the dropouts in the shortest setting. i do like the way this beast tracks through the rough stuff though.im trying to gather some info before i dump this frameset and have regrets later.its gonna be used mainly at pkill and mtn creek.i've been mtbing for almost a decade but the TMX was my first DH rig .i do belive i am a pretty smooth rider. my no 1 choice right now is the turner.my lbs is a dealer and i got quoted a pretty good price. i've been lookin around and the chumba f4 also looks sweet. the vetana that someone suggested was also looks nice and i like the fact it has the floating brake arm.santacruz makes awesome bikes i liked my bullit a while back and my heckler rips for trail riding this east coast single track.so i still gotta consider the v10 or maybe even the vp free(7 week wait on that my shop told me) i know,i know im all over the place w/ideas but i want to explore all my options.a marz 888 will probably replace the monster t i have now.

:confused: :rolleyes: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
OK...well, I've got an 04 Turner DHR with 8" 888. I've ridden Plattekill and I know you guys need to run some fat tires to keep from flatting and the rear end can hold a Michelin 2.8, no problem. The 8" 888 mated to my current frame just finished mowing over boulders like nobody's business this weekend nad I'm super excited about Snowshoe.

Plus, you said you're something of a smooth rider so you would instantly appreciate the low center of gravity and flickable nature of this bike. I can honestly say I can't tell a noticable difference in weight or bulk as compared to my Boxxer.

Plus, the new graphics kit that comes with the frameset is really thick and will help fight off all the tons of shale rock smacking your down tube.

Not to mention, it rains up there so freakin much that you'll appreciate the ability to stick a grease gun in the bearing port and pump in fresh grease, purging all the gunk and grit of Plattekill.

Our team has ridden Turner for 3 straight seasons for some very good reasons....the bike, the bike, the bike....and the service is 2nd to none.

This is my last response to this thread....as Wolverine would say "NUFF SAID!":p

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
Originally posted by Universe
In our local race scene the D9 is looking to be very popular. Guess those guys dont bother to read these forums to find out their "huck" bike cant be "raced".

Ill find out memorial day weekend if my "race" bike can be "free-ridden" at whistler.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I do it too - I think you're overthinking this decision. You're choosing between some great bikes with proven performance and durability and I don't think you'll be disappointed with any of them. The only way to know is to go ride some bikes and make a call.

That said, you still haven't told us if you're racing, if you like to jump, or really what style you prefer (other than saying you're pretty smooth). I've had some time on a VP-Free and think it will be lots of fun and more versatile - it's not much lighter (in fact, probably heavier than the new v10) but the slightly steeper angles, full seat tube, and better jumping performance make it a better all-rounder IMHO, and it can handle all the big drops, chutes, and rocks you throw at it (remember, it's still got 8" of travel and a ridiculously burly build). But if pure speed is your thing I think you're on track by looking at the DHR or V10 and you can't really go wrong with either one.

def

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
knoxville, tn
I'm in the process of painting and moving, but I'm trying to squeeze in some runs on Sunday morning at windrock. So there will be a V10 on the property. The only one who has ridden it on an actual run would be Josh and he seemed damn impressed, but maybe that was because his DHR had just shed its hanger and he was happy to be riding a bike that shifted. I remember he did a few more runs that day with no chain. And Doug has jumped off some small stuff around campus with my bike as well.

My input on bike vs bike: I like my V10. I have progressed greatly on it and I don't see myself getting rid of her anytime soon. It has saved me when I think I can keep up everyone when I'm still half a sep behind some of the fast kids here. It can be finessed a little because I'm more of a line picker by nature, but it does feel better to just let off the brakes and trust it. I was instantly comfortable on this bike - litteraly during my first run on it I was faster and more confident than on my old bike. (super cool 2000 Giant DH Team). As far as a Turner - no time on a DHR. So....once again I'm useless except for my biased opinion.