Quantcast

Tubeless Tire pressure

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Just curious, who's running what? For a 2.5" tubeless tire.
This might be pointless as pump gauges are all over the place.
Finally bought a REAL gauge.
I read the Stan's blurb about lower being faster. Not sure I believe that for DH. The line I've heard is as low as you can go without rolling the bead. Well, I can go to about 20psi and not burp, but that feels kinda silly.

Sghost

Turbo Monkey
Jul 13, 2008
NY
You will get more grip at the same pressure just by being tubeless. Start your fine tuning at your previous tube pressure.

Yeah, you can run 10 psi and have them stay on, but cant push them and will end up denting your rims and pinching holes in your tires.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
I have burped a 2.5 minion off a 823 at 30 psi, running hard. I generally keep 35-40 PSI, tubeless tires can also tend to "mini burp" if you hit long rock sections fast. I have been doing tubless for 3 years now, and i cant remember a tire that never "mini burped" you can see these from lookin at the bead after a run, there CAN be little wet patches and ect.

35 your safe, 30 your probably safe as well. id say less than 30 your pushing it, but that depends on weight and terrain, as well as skill level

pillete

Monkey
Mar 25, 2005
Like fantasia said, just for the fact they are tubeless, you will have better traction.
My advice is run 5 psi more than what you normally run with tubes, and fine tune it from there.
You have to find the sweet spot btw having enough traction, and keeping the tire from burping air.

P.T.W

Monkey
May 6, 2007
christchurch nz
I ran ghetto tubeless for quite a while and I started at my normal pressures but found that the tires seemed to squirm on corners and cambers etc (Personally I hate that) but no burping. So I ended up with about an extra 5psi in each end, but still had way more traction (esp over roots etc) and they rolled even faster again.:thumb:

Oh I started in the low 20psi range and ended up around/just under the 30psi mark...I'm about 185lbs geared up

Last edited:

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
Tubeless tires don't burp if you're using UST rims and either UST or tubeless ready tires, and doing it correctly.

That being said, my base line with 2.5 UST High Rollers is 24 - 29 psi, and adjust from there. I talked to Lars Sternberg and Jill Kintner at Snowmass for a bit about tire pressures, and was surprised to hear how low they run, and with tubes. They both said anything above 30-ish, the grip sucked. It made me realize the skill level of riders like them- they can run that low of a pressure with tubes, go that fast and still not flat much. Impressive.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Tubeless tires don't burp if you're using UST rims and either UST or tubeless ready tires, and doing it correctly.

That being said, my base line with 2.5 UST High Rollers is 24 - 29 psi, and adjust from there. I talked to Lars Sternberg and Jill Kintner at Snowmass for a bit about tire pressures, and was surprised to hear how low they run, and with tubes. They both said anything above 30-ish, the grip sucked. It made me realize the skill level of riders like them- they can run that low of a pressure with tubes, go that fast and still not flat much. Impressive.
UST beads=suck

They are super easy to mess up, leaving the tire worthless (for a tubless tire) I happen to ride diablo, which is flat with jagged rocks, i have ruined more UST tires than i want to admit on first day uses, on a normal DHF the bead is stiffer? On the UST tires it is very easy to rip, i pinch flatted the UST beads so much that i eventually gave up, I still think the normal tires hold the beat just as well as the UST do (at least maxxis) Science may say otherwise, but i have touched a UST tire in 2-3 years, i still have a pile of broken UST tires with 90+% tread life left.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
UST beads=suck

They are super easy to mess up, leaving the tire worthless (for a tubless tire) I happen to ride diablo, which is flat with jagged rocks, i have ruined more UST tires than i want to admit on first day uses, on a normal DHF the bead is stiffer? On the UST tires it is very easy to rip, i pinch flatted the UST beads so much that i eventually gave up, I still think the normal tires hold the beat just as well as the UST do (at least maxxis) Science may say otherwise, but i have touched a UST tire in 2-3 years, i still have a pile of broken UST tires with 90+% tread life left.
Google Translate:

User error.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i too know several people who have ripped UST sidewalls. especially at Diablo. its not hard to do
attention ridemonkey: take this statement with a grain of salt. once upon a time angry steve here totalled a set of cranks and a chainring while he was JRA at diablo :rofl:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
attention ridemonkey: take this statement with a grain of salt. once upon a time angry steve here totalled a set of cranks and a chainring while he was JRA at diablo :rofl:
u know it jon. that "jra" was during the many times i never saw you riding too.

ask miller how many ust tires he went through "jra"

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
i too know several people who have ripped UST sidewalls. especially at Diablo. its not hard to do
this, IIRC the UST tires have a bead made of (in fancy wording) rubber coated rope like substance, the rubber rips leaving the "rope" which wont seal air, not a problem on smoother places, but when you just smashing through rocks all day long, they are prone to rip sidewalls, move onto the normal DH tires (with something different) and you will never get the problem, faster you go(on rocks), faster your increasing your risks of ruining a UST tire

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
UST tires SUCK I dont care who makes em they blow chunks period!!!!!!
I have herniated and destroyed UST by 3 tire manufacturers and wont be running a designated tire...
Ghetto tubeless rocks in a DH casing 26-28 PSI works flawless and no rolling like a single ply. I can roll a bead at 28 PSI single ply by going diagonal up a rolling curb at my weight it squirms.....

UST rims SUCK for the fact they dont seal like ghetto tubeless does if done right, even a stans rim strip doesnt compare to a well done ghetto tubeless....

That being said stay tuned!!!! :D

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I have herniated and destroyed UST by 3 tire manufacturers and wont be running a designated tire...
Ghetto tubeless rocks in a DH casing 26-28 PSI works flawless and no rolling like a single ply. I can roll a bead at 28 PSI single ply by going diagonal up a rolling curb at my weight it squirms.....

UST rims SUCK for the fact they dont seal like ghetto tubeless does if done right, even a stans rim strip doesnt compare to a well done ghetto tubeless....

Seriously ? 823s seal really good. I agree maxxis UST are prone to ripping but Hutchinsons will never rip. I tend to ride with a pressure that means bottoming my rim on every root and I usualy rip 1 sidewall/season on maxxis. I'm tempted to try non ust but I'm still not 100% convinced.

Tomasis

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Scotland
bullcrew, what? ust rim suck? do you love 721EX more now than 823? :D
i dont think 823 is bad. Feels good to just seal a tire, add sealant and voila! a bit heavy yeah. it is same with ghetto modded 721ex.

norbar, try it ;)

demo09, have you tried schwalbe non ust?

btw i run between 25-30 psi on tires.. will test 35psi and see how it affect the riding feeling. running lower psi on tubes sounds logical, there is more material inside the tube.

Last edited:

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
I have 823 rims, and I haven't had good luck with Maxxis UST tires. On the positive side, they seal really well; I can get them seated with a hand pump whereas I need an air compressor for non-UST Maxxis tires. On the (mostly) negative side, I've torn sidewalls or I've had Maxxis UST tires that won't hold air after dinging my rim on rocks. I've had 3 Maxxis UST tires, and none of them have lasted for more than a few days of resort riding. I've had numerous non-UST Maxxis, and I've never had a problem. I ride mostly at Diablo (it's rocky), but I'm by no means super fast. Moral: avoid Maxxis UST!

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.

You're doing it wrong.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
If you can't get a UST rim to seal, it probably has debris on the sealing surface, the rim is dented badly, or something else is being done wrong, from what I've seen.

As far as punctures, I've never had a sidewall tear on a Maxxis UST tire, and I've been using them for a couple years. However, I have had several tread punctures with the 60a 2.5 UST high roller , whereas the 42a version of the same tire has been completely trouble free.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Low pressure on a ust will burp more than a tire that has had stans used to seal the bead to the strip and essentially glue the tire to the ghetto rimstrip allowing for alot less pressure.
I cracked my 721 and literally aired down to 5 psi or so pulled the tire to the side and used a crescent wrench to pull the dentback out for my race run...tire was still sealed even thoughit was pulled over for the wrench to fit exposing he inner rim....

I have deemaxs as well ust that have lightweight rim strips in them so I can droppressure withoutrolling a tire.

Last edited:

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
wait, people run UST without a bit of stans in the tire? why?
Who knows? But to answer your original question. I run my tubeless tires 29/30 rear and 26/27 front. I run Michelin UST tires on regular rims with Stans yellow tape and stans sealant. I have had really good luck with this setup overall. Burping is not an issue for me. There are a couple of places/tracks where I have cut a couple of tires at, but these same places always cause people alot of flats as well so its all in the game. Mainly Massanutten and Windrock with their pointy azzed rocks.

Tomasis

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Scotland
I have deemaxs as well ust that have lightweight rim strips in them so I can droppressure withoutrolling a tire.
so tire (rubber) holds well against tube (rubber) than rim (metal) with help of stans?

how looks the rim strip, is it stripped over rim edge? care to take a photo of the setup, around rim edge?

how much psi can you go down with such setup? 5psi eh?

Aug 4, 2008
I used to run UST Maxxis tires. Sidewalls are crap and they burp (with milk!) when not inflated properly since I weigh 95kg.

Now I'm using non UST Maxxis and Schwalbe tires. Drop a bit of milk inside and it works like charm. Rims are 823 and pressures for me are 35 front (30 is sctrict minimum) and 40 minimum in the back (otherwise they might burp in fast berms).

The grip and performance is awesome - also with 35/40 pressure the traction is just as good as with 28/35 with tubes while I never get a flat or dent a rim.

Manifesto

Monkey
Aug 16, 2009
your moms basement
run 40 psi rear, 37 front...roll WAY faster on rocks, and about the same as tubes on loam...lost 2 pounds from the front and 1.5 from the rear(single ply up front and dual ply in the rear)

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
so tire (rubber) holds well against tube (rubber) than rim (metal) with help of stans?

how looks the rim strip, is it stripped over rim edge? care to take a photo of the setup, around rim edge?

how much psi can you go down with such setup? 5psi eh?
Yes because pressure is what holds it to the bead and with the thin ghetto cut tu e between the bead and tire the stans will glue the rubber tifo the tire. If you run low pressure and roll a tire on a ust rim it pulls away from the tire flatting it or burping it if you run low pressure ghetto tu sleds and seat the bead with stand now when it rolls a little the tube edge holds on so no burps. I have had ok luck on ust rims, better luck with stans rims strips and the best luck ghetto.... 5+ years now tubeless and have played with alot of configurations, tires and mounting.... there will be issues with anything but ghetto tubeless works the best from what I've messed with. Been ghetto 3 years now and messed with other stuff inbetween.... once you go ghetto you don't go back.... lol.

Single plys benefit the greatest from ghetto because the tire rolls a bit easier with less sidewalk strength and non wire bead. Its allowed to wallow without burping so you canruna little lower or higher and case stuff, slam some rocks or bottom a g-out without losing a tire...

no I would not recomend 5psi.... that's what I aired down to to pull the tire from the bead so I could pull my rim straight to race and the bead stayed glued to the rim strip...

Last edited:

NoUseForAName

Monkey
Mar 26, 2008
wait, people run UST without a bit of stans in the tire? why?
That's what i asked the Speccy rep when he told me that the new line of 'Grid' tyres was designed to be run without Stans, and on UST specific rims!!11

Heavier rim, no flat protection, wait what?

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
That's what i asked the Speccy rep when he told me that the new line of 'Grid' tyres was designed to be run without Stans, and on UST specific rims!!11

Heavier rim, no flat protection, wait what?
bizarro! I know looking at my tires after a couple of months of use and I can see plenty of places where the sealant has filled in little holes here and there, I just don't understand why you wouldn't put sealant in to prevent those little things from causing flats.....people are dumb.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
bizarro! I know looking at my tires after a couple of months of use and I can see plenty of places where the sealant has filled in little holes here and there, I just don't understand why you wouldn't put sealant in to prevent those little things from causing flats.....people are dumb.
Nails, thorns, glass... I have no idea why people would not run sealant. Without it it every one of those is an almost guaranteed flat??