Quantcast

Trail repair?

Hesh To Steel

Monkey
Dec 12, 2007
Hell's Kitchen
I'm with Doug on this one. The features are supposed to be challenging, and I think the "inspect before attempting" advice is enough.

This is coming from someone who had rear wheel cased the salvation step up, and cased the box on dominion and flown into the bushes on the side.

Hesh To Steel

Monkey
Dec 12, 2007
Hell's Kitchen
Better yet, replace all signage on the mountain with a huge neon sign at the bottom that just says "BALLS AND SPEED".

Could even rename the whole place BALLS AND SPEED FREERIDE PARK.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
We should put that on a giant sign at the base area along with one that says "watch out for the bears".
The bears tend to watch out for you.

I have seen bears now and then at Diablo, but my fave incidient was a few weeks ago as I was approaching the new drop (the right hand one with the pipe jump doodad) and slowed down as i noticed GR and a bunch staring off to the left -- about 20' away, 3 little bears (not infants, but not full grown) were all chillin by a tree while 1 of them was half-assed climbing it and were watching us as well.

I decided to leave before I discovered the location of the Mama (or moreso, vice versa)

Almost ran into a full grown bear on Schleyer @ Whistler in 04.. gnarly.

Anyway, inspect first, you're not supposed to be able to ride everything 'just because' . And all it takes is a lil compress and pop, not a bunny hop at all, to do the lil salvation kicker, or even the bigger box next to lower Dom.

And I aint no trixter or megaripper (I can rip sometimes, but I'm usually a giant sissy), but I get by!

Last edited:

Bikezilla

Chimp
Dec 4, 2006
While I agree it's on the rider to understand the nature of the feature, my point is lesser experienced riders may not be able to look at that kicker and see it's not going to automatically put you up on the ladder without a good hop. Fact is it's too low. Anyone building something like that in the woods would have built the kicker up to make sure you landed on the feature.

One might suggest that the tricky approach discourages those who aren't up to the task but honestly I've seen more crashes from casing the approach than from blowing the exit.

Give middleskills a chance to step up their game without taking them out before they even try.

I'm not saying they should ramp it... hell then total noobs might try to roll it and die.
No keep the gap but just make the kicker more sufficient.

It's NBD for me, but I've seen folks case it, at a decent speed then skid right off the end trying to panic-stop from the suprise.

Anyway, what I'd REALLY like to see is a cleaner curve and maybe a berm after Salvation so you can mach right into the smaller J after hitting the big one. It's hard as heck to carry speed around that corner with the holes, dust and off camber turn.

Last edited:

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
I was actually discussing that turn into the 2nd kicker with Erik Hudson, and we agreed that we like it! its dusty and off camber, but don't front on the traction, its rail-able. Even with my sub-super skills, I can boost a mile down that sucker and I **KNOW** some of the people that post here are tonz faster than me.

I'm all for making things accessible, but its important that people not ride what they're not prepared for, and also develop the judgment to inspect and understand what you're looking at. It clogs trails for the people that can ride them, and the features wear down from the excessive traffic.

I stayed off KilliCrankie at Highland even though it looked like a lot of fun..............

sundaydoug

Monkey
Jun 8, 2009
While I agree it's on the rider to understand the nature of the feature, my point is lesser experienced riders may not be able to look at that kicker and see it's not going to automatically put you up on the ladder without a good hop. Fact is it's too low. Anyone building something like that in the woods would have built the kicker up to make sure you landed on the feature.
Yea, and once lesser experienced riders case it the first time, they'll learn that they might need a little more speed to get up on it. Give a pedal stroke or two beforehand and voila, you're up on the ladder ready to jump. The riders skills need to be improved, not the feature. From what I've gathered from riding and working there, Diablo's terrain is inviting for riders of all skill levels, but caters to riders of advanced skill levels. Dumbing down advanced features to make them easily ridable for everyone kind of defeats the point.

AzToJrse

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
SOUTH JERSEY
I was actually discussing that turn into the 2nd kicker with Erik Hudson, and we agreed that we like it! its dusty and off camber, but don't front on the traction, its rail-able. Even with my sub-super skills, I can boost a mile down that sucker and I **KNOW** some of the people that post here are tonz faster than me.
im with you on that turn. you just get in the ruts and kinda slide through the turn a bit. i likes it!

Hesh To Steel

Monkey
Dec 12, 2007
Hell's Kitchen
Yeah, this is the case with ANY step-up type feature. If you case it, you weren't going fast enough or you need to work on your jump technique.

If EVERY rider was casing it, then yeah, it might need some modification, but I feel like more people hit it properly than not.

It's analogous to Das Wall. You need a certain skill set to hit it, and if you don't have that, don't ride it (yet).

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Head up to highland (yes, I *AM* currently obsessed!) and try the ramp up to the giant rock on Threshold..want lip?

ha

Next visits to Diablo will be rocky DH only (mostly) days.

BMW, Ripper, Slayer, that one off of domboo, BMW, Epitaph -- WOOHOOO!

G30RG3ryan

Monkey
Feb 24, 2002
Sparta, NJ
I have seen bears now and then at Diablo, but my fave incidient was a few weeks ago as I was approaching the new drop (the right hand one with the pipe jump doodad) and slowed down as i noticed GR and a bunch staring off to the left -- about 20' away, 3 little bears (not infants, but not full grown) were all chillin by a tree while 1 of them was half-assed climbing it and were watching us as well.

I decided to leave before I discovered the location of the Mama (or moreso, vice versa)
Mama bear was right there, and as my buddy was getting closer to get some pics the bear charged at us. So damn scary. Luckily it was just a fake out to let us know who's boss.

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
Mama bear was right there, and as my buddy was getting closer to get some pics the bear charged at us. So damn scary. Luckily it was just a fake out to let us know who's boss.
Next time don't wear a meat helmet.

GreenSGSPRo

Chimp
Sep 23, 2007
begining to leftside of mountain and roll downs after the big step up bother me all wash out stuff that needs patching but besides from that everything else i can deal with i just stay off the leftside when it gets to messy

AtomikMan

Chimp
Nov 12, 2007
United States of America
As for the bears; Mama is always right there with her three cubs (a rarity, btw....as they usually always have two), and she'll be with them next year too, and they'll be a lot closer to grown up. It's her house, so give her and her family the space and respect they need/deserve. Black bears do not attack people unless you **** with them. On weekends, I don't see her as much, but on weekdays when there are less riders, you can find her just about anywhere on the mountain.

...and on another note; I'm not sure why people are defending the height of the Salvation "dirt ramp" leading up to the kicker. Yes, it's still doable and I still do it. However, just stand by the feature and watch a dozen people go off of it, EVERY single person clears it by less than a few inches. Why, it's worn down a LOT lower than when it was built. A good bunny hop used to drop you onto the wood, not just get you close enough to clear it.

sweetbabyd

Chimp
May 20, 2007
Bucks County, PA
...and on another note; I'm not sure why people are defending the height of the Salvation "dirt ramp" leading up to the kicker. Yes, it's still doable and I still do it. However, just stand by the feature and watch a dozen people go off of it, EVERY single person clears it by less than a few inches. Why, it's worn down a LOT lower than when it was built. A good bunny hop used to drop you onto the wood, not just get you close enough to clear it.

thank you for saying that, AtomikMan. i really enjoy riding that feature, but if the little dirt ramp leading to the wood gets any lower, i'm just not going to be able to get myself up there! a lot of kick-ass riders that go to the mountain and have no problem bunny-hopping.
unfortunately, i'm not quite that good, but i really love that kicker and hope that the trail crew is sympathetic the needs enthusiastic "mid-level" rider. :) thanks...

Bikezilla

Chimp
Dec 4, 2006
thank you for saying that, AtomikMan. i really enjoy riding that feature, but if the little dirt ramp leading to the wood gets any lower, I'm just not going to be able to get myself up there! a lot of kick-ass riders that go to the mountain and have no problem bunny-hopping.
unfortunately, I'm not quite that good, but i really love that kicker and hope that the trail crew is sympathetic the needs enthusiastic "mid-level" rider. :) thanks...
According to the argument against, that's just Natural Selection at work and a way to keep the features clear for just us thrashers. :rolleyes:

You want sucka-free access, ride weekdays. (awesome chit! :thumb:)

It's low. Just look at the first and last wood slats... both have been replaced, probably more than once.

I have no problem hopping it, but people working on upping their game could use a break and not get tossed when they're focusing on main feature. Not when we have alternatives like Covenant. (Friggin magic, covy and the canon after it weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!)

"I can do it so it's not a problem" won't expand the sport or the patronage that pays to keep the park open. If ppl get discouraged or hurt just b/c the entry to a feature is dodgy they'll come less...the way I see it, the weekend riders pays for the weekdays. (did I mention weekdays are awesome?) I'm not talking about first timers, I'm talking about ppl who are truly trying to get to the next level.

Oh well it's only one middle feature in a whole bigarsed park full of fun. Not a game changer.

AtomikMan

Chimp
Nov 12, 2007
United States of America
According to the argument against, that's just Natural Selection at work and a way to keep the features clear for just us thrashers. :rolleyes:

You want sucka-free access, ride weekdays. (awesome chit! :thumb:)

It's low. Just look at the first and last wood slats... both have been replaced, probably more than once.

I have no problem hopping it, but people working on upping their game could use a break and not get tossed when they're focusing on main feature. Not when we have alternatives like Covenant. (Friggin magic, covy and the canon after it weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!)

"I can do it so it's not a problem" won't expand the sport or the patronage that pays to keep the park open. If ppl get discouraged or hurt just b/c the entry to a feature is dodgy they'll come less...the way I see it, the weekend riders pays for the weekdays. (did I mention weekdays are awesome?) I'm not talking about first timers, I'm talking about ppl who are truly trying to get to the next level.

Oh well it's only one middle feature in a whole bigarsed park full of fun. Not a game changer.
I don't come here to talk sh*t, but your post was just a bunch of mindless babble. What are you trying to say?

Bikezilla

Chimp
Dec 4, 2006
Well I thought I was agreeing with you, but I guess I was just talking sh*t then.

"Natural Selection" and "sucka-free access" were sarcastic comments about the idea if people were having trouble with the dirt kicker they weren't qualified to ride the wood feature. I disagree with that sentiment.

Is the rest of what I wrote unclear, or do you feel that I (or your comprehension) is so far off the mark I must be expressing myself rectally?

The short of it is I think the dirt kicker could use a little boost.
It's not the end of the world if that does not happen.

Last edited:

dirtyjrzy

Chimp
Jun 5, 2007
wayne nj
i suggest that diablo lets people sign up for trail repair. and for everyday they do trail repair(8 hours) they get 2 days of riding free...

Last edited:

rollertoaster

Monkey
Aug 7, 2007
Douglassville , PA
I have always liked Diablo, but the trail maintenance is almost non-existent. I went to highland with a friend on thurs-friday, and was astounded by the amount of work that is put into the mountain. Not only was there work being done on the trails, but on multiple trails at the same time. The lodge was great, clean bathrooms and all. They are even building a top-to-bottom jump trail in one season. I can't wait to hit it when it's finished. The trail is shaping up to be better than A-line!! I never though I'd say that.

Timekiller

Monkey
Oct 9, 2006
NJ
I have always liked Diablo, but the trail maintenance is almost non-existent. I went to highland with a friend on thurs-friday, and was astounded by the amount of work that is put into the mountain. Not only was there work being done on the trails, but on multiple trails at the same time. The lodge was great, clean bathrooms and all. They are even building a top-to-bottom jump trail in one season. I can't wait to hit it when it's finished. The trail is shaping up to be better than A-line!! I never though I'd say that.
Highland is an awesome non-corprate mountain! ;)

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
Man i'm just glad i have a few mountain to choose from.. Platty, Diablo, Highland, the list goes on and on and on... It's def. fun being a DH'er in the North East Nowadays!

Last edited:

butters-lsd

Chimp
May 4, 2008
Rhode Island
. They are even building a top-to-bottom jump trail in one season. .

the section that has been open was built last year, they are working their way down now, but it's is eventually going to start up at the top past Maiden Voyage not where it spilts from Shillelagh. anyway it is going to be great whenever it is done. and i can't wait myself...

Chips2990

Chimp
Jul 6, 2009
Ridgefield, CT
Speaking of those bears WhoRyder....
I took a right after Tempest because the step down was closed, I got ahead of the person who I was riding with and so I stopped at the first non-rocky flat section that I could find to wait for him, put my head down and was just chillin on my bike when I hear this sound like a big animal walking through the woods (rustling leaves and breaking sticks) and really loud aggressive huffing sounds coming from off the trail to the right, I thought it was like a dog or something of that nature at first, so I look over, and this 500 lb black bear was charging at me through the woods and then stopped 5 ft from me. (Silly full face helmets and not being able to hear) he was still walking towards me, so I got off my bike really slowly and started to walk away with my bike, but it was still growling and huffing at me and pawing at me, so I put my bike down and looked away from the bear but still kept it in the corner of my eye and I starting walking backwards real-slow-like as to not make any aggressive motions to scare the bear again. And when it finally walked into the woods again I ran up towards where my friend was coming down to tell him to stop. Got the heart jumping for a good 15 minutes.

iandude94

Monkey
May 30, 2008
OC, NY
according to Diablo's twitter(yes i am one of those people who have a twitter, but i dont tweet, i just follow people) they fixed upper dominion and temptest, and opened pipeline.

rollertoaster

Monkey
Aug 7, 2007
Douglassville , PA
the section that has been open was built last year, they are working their way down now, but it's is eventually going to start up at the top past Maiden Voyage not where it spilts from Shillelagh. anyway it is going to be great whenever it is done. and i can't wait myself...
I didn't know it was started last year, my bad. regardless, they do a ton of work up there.

Bikezilla

Chimp
Dec 4, 2006
I have always liked Diablo, but the trail maintenance is almost non-existent. I went to highland with a friend on thurs-friday, and was astounded by the amount of work that is put into the mountain.
A number of my friends just went there the other weekend and they all raved about the same things. They were as impressed with the maintenance as they were with the additional features.

I don't think I have heard anyone complaining about that the maint having dumbed things down at Highland.

I was trying to avoid a long post but I want to be understood, so every 6 words or so feel frere to take a toke on whatever has been abbreviating your attention spans. :D (that's a joke directed at no one inparticular)

Last try:
The weekend crowds pay the bills. If the newbies and mid-level learners see unkept trails, they're less likely to come back as often if at all. Especially if someone eats it on a neglected portion of the trail. IMO half of the w/e crowds are renters, newbies, and/or mid learners. The other half are the deep enthusiasts with season passes, and all their own gear.

If half the crowd gets discouraged/turned off/ or just not-turned-on by trail conditions (ie, gravel, braking bumps, worn down lips) their numbers will drop and the enthusiasts like ourselves won't have the numbers to keep the park profitable. People of all levels can tell when things aren't right even if they don't express it or lack the skills to compensate.

I realize it is a fine line to walk for the park owners on how much to spend to keep the park up, vs. turning people off. Diablo is not at that point yet but it is possible to get there...and it's a downward spiral after that...fewer people = fewer dollars to maintain and build.

I agree we're fortunate to have Diablo nearby. Consider the ppl driving up from south of Jersey, the overnighters, if they feel like the park isn't being kept up are they going to drive 4+ hrs to get here? Will they drive right past and go to Highland since they're out for the weekend anyway? Will they go the otherway to Snowshoe? What's the draw to get people North of here to come down instead of going to Highland or one of the other places?

That said I really appreciate the new DH run and the new FR features and ride them every time I'm there. I'm grateful they cut the weeds back on Denial, and I've read they've closed and reopened some trails presumably for maintenance. Thanks!

And if it hasn't happened yet, could somebody please sweep the marbles out of Indy-x and Alpine?

Just thinking out loud. Excuse the soapbox. I didn't get to the lifts last week and the jones is kinda strong. :rolleyes:

Let the flames fly.

Last edited:

PCinSC

Chimp
Jun 17, 2007
Let the flames fly.
No need, you're right on. As a "mid-learner" and "over-nighter" the value of the park is diminished with reduced maintenance. Erosion is to be expected, but a more consistent "patch-up" schedule may be needed to keep the trails in top shape.

That said, Diablo has made HUGE strides in the last year or two with the additional trails they've built that cater to a more novice or intermediate level rider. Continued upkeep on these trails and development of new ones will keep the park's value up in future seasons for riders such as myself, as well as season pass holders.

I agree with some others that some re-rating of trails may be in order, particularly Domboo. Which really isn't an "easy" trail when compared to other green trails like OTB and Greenhorn. That ladder bridge (rather, the approach to it) is particularly nasty. I'm sure a go-around (or alternate, easier route to the bottom) would be welcome by the novice riders.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Domboo Ladder bridge begone! (what is it, an ill erosion issue that put that thing there? I liked just bombing through the rough, and think the bridge approach slows it down and makes it sketchier to line up....)

Not a fan of random ladders - but of course, thats *ME*!!

butters-lsd

Chimp
May 4, 2008
Rhode Island
I didn't know it was started last year, my bad. regardless, they do a ton of work up there.
no prob...
they have 5 or 6 full time guys that probably put in 50 or more hours a week. maintaining the DJ's, the SS course= tons of work.

Wait until fall they leaf blow the trails. it's a beautiful thing...