Quantcast

Trail interactions...

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Interactions on the trail are increasingly like the one I had yesterday:

Middle-aged man, late-model dentist bike, matching biking clothes, backpack, knee pads.

They see you, you see them.

You give a nod/wave/salut/hi, they continue to look at you and do not respond.

What is wrong with people?
It definitely wasn't like this when I started mtbing.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I find the further I get from Toronto, the friendlier people become on the trail.

Otherwise it's exactly how you describe.

Carraig042

me 1st
Apr 5, 2011
East Tennessee
Maybe you have become sour? :twitch:Does not seem to be this way for the most part where I typically ride; Tri-cities and Knoxville, TN as well as Asheville area.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
There have been a ton of new riders on the trails here, all of them are very friendly. The hikers/walkers have been the assholes around here.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I see generally more people with poor etiquette on the trails now. That said, I am the guy who always wears knee pads, too - because I am a talentless hack. ;)

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
I have been yelled at recently by an elderly woman with a loose dog. She was very upset by cyclists destroying everything. I encouraged her to explain a bit more since cycling in this nature reserve is not forbidden but I only got non sense back...

Usually people walking or cycling reply to nods here in the suburb of the capital of Sweden.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
So here I am, getting my old bones moving again on my new ride that I just put together. Stressful day at work and I just want to get away and not have to talk to anyone for a while. Knee pads, so I don't get anymore screwed up.

Then some dude on a clapped out 26" ridemonkey bike has the gall to say high and give me the stink eye because I just want to ride and not wave to everyone and talk to everyone.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
So here I am, getting my old bones moving again on my new ride that I just put together. Stressful day at work and I just want to get away and not have to talk to anyone for a while. Knee pads, so I don't get anymore screwed up.

Then some dude on a clapped out 26" ridemonkey bike has the gall to say high and give me the stink eye because I just want to ride and not wave to everyone and talk to everyone.

Id waive to you....I'm not selective I like waiving...I like to include everyone...

Lmao
The ones I save my waive for are the ones who didn't have a bad day they just give off "I'm an @$$hole" vibe cause they ride a newer bike (27.5 or 29r, possibly ebike).....I give the benefit of the doubt, oh wait.....no I don't...

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
personally, I wonder if your observation correlates with the number of expensive cars in the parking areas. Was at a local trail centre this weekend, and the number of Bimmers, Mercedes', Touaregs and Teslas in the parking lot is unreal. What happened to the dirtbag sport of yore?!

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Lol all kidding aside I say "hi" to almost everyone and don't take offense to it....I've been through alot of bad shit in my time so I don't pass judgement...I don't know what kind of day they had...I make an effort and if it's not reciprocated them maybe they will say "hi" to someone later...if not , not my issue...

Now if they get aggressive about trail space I will be nice to a certain point...but that's not an issue or hasn't but 1 time...and he apologized turned out he was literally having a BAD day....hell I apologized for my part, his was a bad day...

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Everyone I see on the trails these day seem nice when I'm not riding super early in the morning and see other rifers. Same for hikers too.

There seemed to be more folks giving the bike park a go when I visited for the first time in 1.5 years which was cool. Definitely had more dicey moments than I can remember with people stopped in the middle of trails (2 on the backside of jumps, one I nearly wrecked into). But these are people just starting out and stoked to do something new and fun so I tried to politely say as I went by to please don't stop in the middle of trails.

It was actually pretty cool to see new riders going down stuff that wasn't actually machine flow trails :headbang:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Around here it's pretty chill most of the time.

The biggest problem is in the winter and the runners that seemingly can't wait to go and smash the trail you just set (before the snow has settled and there has been more traffic to pack it). I've been in the process of building the trail at night and had to turn people around with a few choice words and more than one trail has been wrecked bad. I don't understand why they can't just stick to the wider trails for just a couple days after new snow, so the skinnier stuff won't be destroyed.

There's a few notable sourpusses in the summer time, but it's more like a couple infamous people, rather than characteristic of hikers.

In AZ, the equestrians would just freak out if you were on a bike. It seems to have gotten better (I go back every year at least once), but so much damn entitlement.

Mostly it's just amusing here in the summer to see the few dorks walking with two hands on a shotgun all the time or a glock that a bear is going to laugh off.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Ahh yes unless you do a Rowland .460 conversion like I did to my Glock... Then it runs in the mid 44 magnum power
Helped do a run of their suppressor weights and rounds to find a spring and balance to keep it reliable and as fast as you can squeeze trigger...

We use it for through hikes in northern Idaho, NW and montana

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Ahh yes unless you do a Rowland .460 conversion like I did to my Glock... Then it runs in the mid 44 magnum power
Helped do a run of their suppressor weights and rounds to find a spring and balance to keep it reliable and as fast as you can squeeze trigger...

We use it for through hikes in northern Idaho, NW and montana
Yeah, I've seen that one referenced a few times. Still, I'll trust my S&W 69 with 300g loads if I'm out alone in bear country and not on a bike. Definitely like Glock simplicity and function. My 43 definitely won't cut it for bears though.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Yeah, I've seen that one referenced a few times. Still, I'll trust my S&W 69 with 300g loads if I'm out alone in bear country and not on a bike. Definitely like Glock simplicity and function. My 43 definitely won't cut it for bears though.
Good to see another pewpew person with common sense...2 huge thumbs up....

Yeah I do 29sf 10mm with hot rounds at minimum and converted my 30sf to a Rowland 460...not as powerful as a 44 with a hot round but between buffalo bore, Rowland, and a couple others I've bought and tried they have huge impact on gel good velocity and carry a pretty heft grain for speed....
If I could just carry a shotgun with slugs and conceal it I'd rather go that route lol...or even a good S&W tried and true revolver but hiking and biking it takes it's toll...

I sold my 416 but I wanted to hunt pig with it....basically a necked down 50BMG....man it was a dinosaur cannon ...

Good choice on S&W...for all out hand canon they make some of the baddest on the planet....

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Good to see another pewpew person with common sense...2 huge thumbs up....

Yeah I do 29sf 10mm with hot rounds at minimum and converted my 30sf to a Rowland 460...not as powerful as a 44 with a hot round but between buffalo bore, Rowland, and a couple others I've bought and tried they have huge impact on gel good velocity and carry a pretty heft grain for speed....
If I could just carry a shotgun with slugs and conceal it I'd rather go that route lol...or even a good S&W tried and true revolver but hiking and biking it takes it's toll...

I sold my 416 but I wanted to hunt pig with it....basically a necked down 50BMG....man it was a dinosaur cannon ...

Good choice on S&W...for all out hand canon they make some of the baddest on the planet....
Yeah, you typically don't need as much power/penetration for the smaller bears/big game in the lower 48. The moose and bears up here are significantly bigger/tougher. So where a .357 might be adequate down south, a .44 becomes the minimum.

The thing about a charging bear is you really need to be able to shatter a shoulder/arm to stop it. That takes a lot of penetration and power. A moose isn't much difference (and usually more of a hazard for us). If it's a "surprise" attack from the side at short range, or a charging bear, usually the bear spray makes a lot more sense. It can be wielded/aimed easier and doesn't endanger other people with the discharge. And for stopping a charging bear, we are really at the bear (pun) minimum with these calibers and power. A shotgun with slugs or carbine with heavy hitting rounds is usually a much better idea. Typically this is used when you're out alone or in small groups in far more remote locations where you might be "stalked" by a bear. The revolver will work decent at close range most likely, but again, not an optimal weapon.

I watched a city cop unload his .40 into a moose once. Then he went back to the car, got his shotgun, point blank aimed it at the moose's head, and that actually put the moose down. I was talking to another cop (DHer) a few days ago that echoed similar stories. The one I saw was just as I was in traffic, watching a cop take down a moose that had likely been injured or identified as a nuisance.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Yeah, you typically don't need as much power/penetration for the smaller bears/big game in the lower 48. The moose and bears up here are significantly bigger/tougher. So where a .357 might be adequate down south, a .44 becomes the minimum.

The thing about a charging bear is you really need to be able to shatter a shoulder/arm to stop it. That takes a lot of penetration and power. A moose isn't much difference (and usually more of a hazard for us). If it's a "surprise" attack from the side at short range, or a charging bear, usually the bear spray makes a lot more sense. It can be wielded/aimed easier and doesn't endanger other people with the discharge. And for stopping a charging bear, we are really at the bear (pun) minimum with these calibers and power. A shotgun with slugs or carbine with heavy hitting rounds is usually a much better idea. Typically this is used when you're out alone or in small groups in far more remote locations where you might be "stalked" by a bear. The revolver will work decent at close range most likely, but again, not an optimal weapon.

I watched a city cop unload his .40 into a moose once. Then he went back to the car, got his shotgun, point blank aimed it at the moose's head, and that actually put the moose down. I was talking to another cop (DHer) a few days ago that echoed similar stories. The one I saw was just as I was in traffic, watching a cop take down a moose that had likely been injured or identified as a nuisance.
Yeah I have seen a bear who's paw was bigger than the guys head in northern Idaho and moose up close on road. Scary animals and plenty of bears...buddies a captain in Idaho state troopers northern Idaho and there's alot of stories but the #1 issue they have is moose...said they are just in a very bad mood and like to attack lol...

So to fuse this conversation to the OP. I give theean bears and moose the 1 finger waive lol...

You are spot on about all accounts...studied the hell out of bear and kill shots so when wife and I are out I have a idea of where...

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Majority around local charlotte are starva chasers and douchebags. you can always tell.
How's the riding around Charlotte? My companies corp headquarters is out there, I've wondered if it's worth bringing a bike. The one time I was out there before covid it looked pretty flat, but I didn't explore at all.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
personally, I wonder if your observation correlates with the number of expensive cars in the parking areas. Was at a local trail centre this weekend, and the number of Bimmers, Mercedes', Touaregs and Teslas in the parking lot is unreal. What happened to the dirtbag sport of yore?!
Yeah, I dunno. Santa Cruz and Ibis on $100,000 mercedes jeeps are not uncommon.

Point of clarification. If we're in the woods at the same trailhead and you look over at me and keep looking over at me, rather than stare back blankly, I give a small greeting and you do not respond, so be it. I'm not one of those over zealous greeters, or chatters. I don't really care when it comes down to it. I does make me wonder wtf you're looking at however... particularly if you're having a bad day or whatever. My point is the noticeable difference from the way it used to be.

Coming from a culture where greeting is very important, and living in parts of the US where people go out of their way to greet in public (see: pittsburgh)... and then having lived in cities where ignoring is the norm, it still strikes me as very peculiar to not acknowledge humanity even in the most minor way when out on the trails.

Maybe this is just a reflection of the fact that the sport has changed fairly dramatically as have the people. I see it's moved towards the country club.

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Yeah, I dunno. Santa Cruz and Ibis on $100,000 mercedes jeeps are not uncommon.

Point of clarification. If we're in the woods at the same trailhead and you look over at me and keep looking over at me, rather than stare back blankly, I give a small greeting and you do not respond, so be it. I'm not one of those over zealous greeters, or chatters. I don't really care when it comes down to it. I does make me wonder wtf you're looking at however... particularly if you're having a bad day or whatever. My point is the noticeable difference from the way it used to be.

Coming from a culture where greeting is very important, and living in parts of the US where people go out of their way to greet in public (see: pittsburgh)... and then having lived in cities where ignoring is the norm, it still strikes me as very peculiar to not acknowledge humanity even in the most minor way when out on the trails.

Maybe this is just a reflection of the fact that the sport has changed fairly dramatically as have the people. I see it's moved towards the country club.
I too think its weird when people don't hello back, wave, nod or whatever. Its also a good way to know that, yes, that person does in fact see me and probably won't straight up run into or walk in front of me.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
How's the riding around Charlotte? My companies corp headquarters is out there, I've wondered if it's worth bringing a bike. The one time I was out there before covid it looked pretty flat, but I didn't explore at all.
tons of trails within a 30 minute radius. everything from techy to flowy. no real climbs here but good mountain riding is about a 2 hour drive. hit me up if you're ever around. i can give you the lowdown.

vinnycactus

Monkey
May 27, 2004
Matthews, NC
It's pretty flat other than punchy-ish climbing but there's a ton of trails within 30min of each other. Places to hit would be George Poston Park which is probably the closest to mtn riding you're going to get and is non-robot built, Backyard Trails for more freeride-ee type stuff, Whitewater Center for miles/volume.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
tons of trails within a 30 minute radius. everything from techy to flowy. no real climbs here but good mountain riding is about a 2 hour drive. hit me up if you're ever around. i can give you the lowdown.
Sweet, sounds like they're going to make us travel back to the mothership later this summer, I'll hit you up.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
You should have seen the trails in Santa Barbara in the late 90s early 2000s. I can't even imagine how crazy the hiker "terrorists" have gotten since.....