Quantcast

Trail interactions...

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I mostly grew up in Marin, and still ride there every few months. That place is the mecca of anti-bike asshats.
Very true. Has its fair share of bike asshats too :) Last time I rode there (china camp), I was passed while climbing by guy on an emtb, going mach 3 the other direction, with a stereo blasting, all on a multi-use trail.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
I mostly grew up in Marin, and still ride there every few months. That place is the mecca of anti-bike asshats.
Yeah so did I. Even late 80s early 90s there was some drama. TAM every good trail is illegal. Wait, I cant ride the 2-3 tech trails on it legally? Temulpa was the one that had some hairy spots on it. I moved back for 6 months then back down south again after realizing how shitty the trail access had become....

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Yeah so did I. Even late 80s early 90s there was some drama. TAM every good trail is illegal. Wait, I cant ride the 2-3 tech trails on it legally? Temulpa was the one that had some hairy spots on it. I moved back for 6 months then back down south again after realizing how shitty the trail access had become....
That's the whole county. Even when they take a step forward they step back - ie, they recently made Hunters Camp in San Geronimo legal, but rerouted/sanitized it in the process. I haven't done a Temelpa shuttle in well over a decade now unfortunately.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Always fun following a top 10 ranked JR down that trail blind and he tells me to run from any rangers.
Also 15MPH speed limits?

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Grumpy asshole mode engaged.

The whole "Birthplace of Mountain Biking" crap just drives me nuts.

That shit was happening all over north america, and by my guess some in europe too.

We were building and riding home-build trail bikes in the early 70's, and we were certainly not the first. I can remember doing mtb/bmx or whatever you wanted to call it races on an outdoor moto track in 74/5. 20 - 27" wheels - run what ya brung.

The one thing that I will give you is a commercial beginning to the shit-show we have today. We just built and modified what we had, welding was down to adding gussets so it would crack in a different place.

Grumpy asshole mode disengaged.

On the expensive shuttle vehicles.
I'm now in the position where the bike is worth more than the hauler. :busted:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I do run across em once in while like all of us and the ones that pissed me off is we have a whole network of step downs gaps drops and jumps behind my house on a hill...we built ALL OF THEM for riding..nick nestroff and his brother built a bunch as well and there are some solid stuff...

some hikers recently dug out a few jumps and step downs so it was walk friendly....

vivisectxi

Monkey
Jan 14, 2021
yeast van
We were building and riding home-build trail bikes in the early 70's, and we were certainly not the first. I can remember doing mtb/bmx or whatever you wanted to call it races on an outdoor moto track in 74/5. 20 - 27" wheels - run what ya brung.

The one thing that I will give you is a commercial beginning to the shit-show we have today. We just built and modified what we had, welding was down to adding gussets so it would crack in a different place.
oh damn, flashbacks of my childhood. mid 70's, before bmx fully caught on, we cobbled together "bush bikes" for the trails at the end of the street. mine started as a ccm approximation of a schwinn stingray; pulled all the extraneous metal (fenders, chainguard, etc), swapped the banana seat for a regular saddle, etc, and went shredding. janky, but fun. simpler times...

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
oh damn, flashbacks of my childhood. mid 70's, before bmx fully caught on, we cobbled together "bush bikes" for the trails at the end of the street. mine started as a ccm approximation of a schwinn stingray; pulled all the extraneous metal (fenders, chainguard, etc), swapped the banana seat for a regular saddle, etc, and went shredding. janky, but fun. simpler times...
Sounds like we rode the same frame for a bit. Was a bitch to keep forks on them. 24" worked a charm to slacken things out, but the added leverage meant bent steerer tubes were a constant thing. Good times.