Quantcast

>>Toofer GMT<<

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
1up makes a roof mounted tray... And their hitch mount is one of the best, so I would imagine the roof mount is good too. That Yakima rack is so wobbly, it scares me everytime I have to put my bike in one... Though nothing bad ever happens.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
All roof racks are inferior to hitch racks.

And hitch > fart cannon
Plus, driving like an a-hole is much less scary when you can assess how much your bikes are thrashing around in the rear view mirror.

I saw a Lexus today with a hitch that dipped down and under the fart cannon. It looked fast, but somewhat less furious.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
if you care even the slightest bit about fuel economy, go hitch. a roof rack is basically an anchor.
I'm trying, I'm trying. I loved the hitch rack on my previous car. I've called around to two hitch and trailer type places and as soon as I mentioned "custom hitch options", they pretty much hung up the phone on me due to liability reasons. The problem is that with the stock muffler, it is located directly behind the center of the bumper and allows vertical access to the frame rail. With the muffler I have, it intersects the exact area where the hitch needs to mount to.

How do roof racks even attach to the car? I'm getting into some serious n00b territory here.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I'm trying, I'm trying. I loved the hitch rack on my previous car. I've called around to two hitch and trailer type places and as soon as I mentioned "custom hitch options", they pretty much hung up the phone on me due to liability reasons. The problem is that with the stock muffler, it is located directly behind the center of the bumper and allows vertical access to the frame rail. With the muffler I have, it intersects the exact area where the hitch needs to mount to.

How do roof racks even attach to the car? I'm getting into some serious n00b territory here.
you have a wrx right?

i went the "custom" route as well for my impreza. i found a custom hitch & trailer place that was local. They were skeptical at first but when i explained what i wanted they were OK with it. All i had done was to take a stock class 1 hitch for my car and cut out the 1-1/4" receiver and weld in a 2" receiver.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Remove your stupid muffler, or go with a custom exhaust that moves the muffler to a different location. I'd recommend running a straight pipe through the hood.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Remove your stupid muffler, or go with a custom exhaust that moves the muffler to a different location. I'd recommend running a straight pipe through the hood.

I can't have BRO PIPES on my car. I'm not from the boonies. I actually had a very brief thought of just lopping the muffler off and sticking a 3" pipe onto it. I mean, the muffler that's on there is pretty much just for show anyways, I don't think it really muffles anything. :crazy:

you have a wrx right?

i went the "custom" route as well for my impreza. i found a custom hitch & trailer place that was local. They were skeptical at first but when i explained what i wanted they were OK with it. All i had done was to take a stock class 1 hitch for my car and cut out the 1-1/4" receiver and weld in a 2" receiver.
Yeah its a WRX, but its the same as the regular Impreza. All might not be lost.....apparently you can swap bumper beams with the Forester and do something like this: