Quantcast

To hell with 'professional' jobs

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
You have to pay to wear jeans?:rofl:

Is the money spent on decorations for the monthly Hawaiian Shirt day?
A company I used to work for years ago had a Hawaiian shirt day......I took a plain white t-shirt and wrote "Hawaiian Shirt" on the front with a black Sharpie and wore it. Many laughs were had. My old man actually still wears the shirt around.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
You have to pay to wear jeans?:rofl:

Is the money spent on decorations for the monthly Hawaiian Shirt day?
Yeah, very conservative old school shirt-and-tie hospital enviornment here. They even tell employees to keep non-discreet tattoos hidden. The jeans money goes to the United Way. That's what I'm told, anyway.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
First company I worked for out of school required ties. Funny thing was we had to work around some serious machinery and the tie was actually a safety risk. The alternative was to wear the company uniform, basically your Cintas blue collar mechanic stuff. Most people opted for the uniform while in the office as it was much more comfortable. I would get my uniforms dirty working on machines and some of the grease stains wouldn't wash out. It was kind of a badge of honor to have the 'dirty blues' as you at least at some point worked for a living. My favorite shirt had a greasy boot stain on the back.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Engineers have to wear ties at my place. The first 4 years I was here we didn't have to. We were in a meeting and seemingly out of nowhere the president asked where our ties were. I thought he was kidding and continued not wearing ties, and apparently he saw me not wearing one. I was soon after informed he was being serious and starting wearing them. El presidente saw me wearing one and told me he was glad I didn't have wax in my ears after all.

To be honest, it now feels weird to me wearing a button-up collared shirt without a tie. The sight of buttons annoy me.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I'm still at work resetting passwords for people who can't speak English or count to 8. For about 1/10th of what you make. I think I got the short end of the trade off stick. :think:

For the record I am really just kidding about bitching about jobs and all that. I am where I am because of my own decisions. I don't blame anyone for my crappy job other than myself. Nor do I harbour resentment for those who have achieved a greater level of success than I. (Which is pretty much everybody.) :p
Until I finish fellowship in 2014 (I finish residency in 2013 and fellowship is one more year) I'm just a grunt working away for a normal salary, blithely ignoring the accruing interest and principal on my student loans...

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Screw Hawaiian shirts and bike rides.

Why can't I drink beer at work? That's what I want to know!

Not get drunk or anyting, but hell, changing my oil or cutting the grass is just fine with a beer. I dont want to imagine completing either task without.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Engineers have to wear ties at my place. The first 4 years I was here we didn't have to. We were in a meeting and seemingly out of nowhere the president asked where our ties were. I thought he was kidding and continued not wearing ties, and apparently he saw me not wearing one. I was soon after informed he was being serious and starting wearing them. El presidente saw me wearing one and told me he was glad I didn't have wax in my ears after all.

To be honest, it now feels weird to me wearing a button-up collared shirt without a tie. The sight of buttons annoy me.
Within 30 seconds of putting on a tie it somehow gets loose, crooked and flipped backwards. I look much better without one.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

I have steel toed dress shoes.

wiscodh

Monkey
Jun 21, 2007

Not get drunk or anyting, but hell, changing my oil or cutting the grass is just fine with a beer. I dont want to imagine completing either task without.
hrmm, 3 beers were just cracked over the cube wall from me, and there is a GIANT sobe fridge full of cans ready to be consumed on a whim. Makes those long soildworks sessions manageable

goofy

Monkey
Mar 20, 2004
olney md.
I work for an odd company the owners are ultra conservative, the setup for my department is office style but almost everybody is in t-shirts and jeans or more casual (I have worn board shorts and flip-flops). If you asked any of my coworkers if they wanted to be doing something else instead of working here everyone would say yes. If you asked what they wanted to be doing instead it would be what they do on the side (acting, music, dancing etc). I take at least 2 days a year off to work for other places (bands/venues). My boss took off a week and a half a few years ago to work at a large music festival, I can't remember which one.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi

Hmm. My old boss used to haze me if I had only one beer at lunch.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van

I had a beer at the office today. I was last to leave. I like to drink at work alone.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
How do you make a small fortune as a farmer?

Start off with a big one.
yea... that can be a problem for some farmers. I like to keep a day job to support the farm. In all honesty though the day job is just a vertically integrated business within the whole farm concept. Vertical integration is great!

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Your job is what you make of it. I take long riding lunches and have put a lot of effort over the years into nudging the company culture away from the 60 hour crap-fest. You have to say no politely and work with your compatriots so that no single individual can be identified as "the agitator". After you have a bunch of time in and have established working relationships, you can afford to be more overt. The interesting thing is that just as much or more good work gets done when people aren't burnt out. It's hard for some people to get their head around that.
But remember, you move boulders with a brontosaurus and you've become Mr. Slate's go-to guy:thumb::D

Taking a ride break with JBP:thumb:

Work mode

C.P.

Monkey
Jan 18, 2004
SouthEastern Massachusetts
This is a good read.

Quote from the author:

"Most people believe that once they become successful, then they'll be happy. But recent discoveries in the field of positive psychology and neuroscience have shown that this formula is actually backward: Happiness fuels success, not the other way around. When we are positive, our brains become more engaged, creative, motivated, energetic, resilient, and productive at work. This isn’t just an empty mantra. This discovery has been repeatedly borne out by rigorous research in psychology and neuroscience, management studies, and the bottom lines of organizations around the globe.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
No riding during work hours for me, but I get out of work at 3:30 so I can ride any day after work. Not working weekends is nice too. Plus the company policy for salaried folks is that if you work four hours in a day, it's considered a full day. They figure it all evens itself out in the end. So, I can take the occasional half day during nice weather and not get hit with personal time. Of course, if you abuse the system your manager can strip you of the privilege. I also get five weeks of vacation.
Come on, dont you work for a payroll company? What you are doing there is against the law. If you are an exempt employee tracking hours will violate that exemption.

Engineers have to wear ties at my place.
I have to basically wear a suit (or at least a sweater vest in the winter) everyday, dont get to ride as much as I used to, but I really like my job and they treat me very well, fly me around in private aircraft and I get 4 weeks of vacation!

:thumb:

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
BTW, "professional jobs" are awesome when you have nearly a million dollars in medical expenses covered almost entirely by the insurance policy. Not to mention, the company is able and willing to hold your job for a year while you rehab, and continues to offer you insurance coverage while you are on leave. And they have the resources to make modifications to your work-space to accommodate any lasting handicaps. Sure, you can't get that neck tattoo you always wanted, but it seems a small price to pay.
You could if it is below the collar!!!

-BB-

Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Come on, dont you work for a payroll company? What you are doing there is against the law. If you are an exempt employee tracking hours will violate that exemption.

I have to basically wear a suit (or at least a sweater vest in the winter) everyday, dont get to ride as much as I used to, but I really like my job and they treat me very well, fly me around in private aircraft and I get 4 weeks of vacation!

:thumb:
What? You must be crazy. Like he said, they are not "tracking" the hours. Any exempt position can still require you be there from X'o clock to Y o'clock. You are just "exempt" from getting overtime.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I'm a salaried, exempt professional. The government doesn't care how many hours I work or what my schedule is.

Edit: I work in a payroll department for a healthcare network. ;)

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I'm exempt and have no requirements as to the hours / days that I work, e-stub always says 40 regardless of what I work. I don't worry about being a professional or not but I do like my perfectly manicured hands.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
My theory has always been do a job you don't mind doing, that pays good money.

Then spend the money on the things you enjoy.
That used to be me. Life's too short to spend most of your time doing something you don't love, just to spend a little time doing what you do love.

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
What? You must be crazy. Like he said, they are not "tracking" the hours. Any exempt position can still require you be there from X'o clock to Y o'clock. You are just "exempt" from getting overtime.
I'm a salaried, exempt professional. The government doesn't care how many hours I work or what my schedule is.

Edit: I work in a payroll department for a healthcare network. ;)
My point was to IAB. If they are tracking 1/2 days they are tracking hours, which violates an exempt status. Technically as an exempt salaried employee you cannot take 1/2 days, or it would be more proper to say you cannot be charged for not being there 1/2 a day. If you have worked any part of the day you have worked that day.

-BB-

Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
My point was to IAB. If they are tracking 1/2 days they are tracking hours, which violates an exempt status. Technically as an exempt salaried employee you cannot take 1/2 days, or it would be more proper to say you cannot be charged for not being there 1/2 a day. If you have worked any part of the day you have worked that day.
Really? does this vary by state? If I only work a half day, I have always had to take 4hrs of FTO/PTO and I've always been "exempt".

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Really? does this vary by state? If I only work a half day, I have always had to take 4hrs of FTO/PTO and I've always been "exempt".
I am not an attorney. However the exempt v non exempt status is Federal, so unless your state specifically spells something out...

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
That used to be me. Life's too short to spend most of your time doing something you don't love, just to spend a little time doing what you do love.
The problem is when you do what you love all day every day, you don't really love it that much anymore. It's just a job. And if it's going to be just a job, I'll take the highest paying one out there that is reasonably interesting and challenging.

You really love your job? Really really? You are the rarest of the rare, a horny hooker.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
My job isn't perfect, but I do like it a lot. If there wasn't the background cloud of bull**** on the admin/logistics side it'd be perfect.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
The problem is when you do what you love all day every day, you don't really love it that much anymore. It's just a job. And if it's going to be just a job, I'll take the highest paying one out there that is reasonably interesting and challenging.

You really love your job? Really really? You are the rarest of the rare, a horny hooker.
maybe that's the case for YOU.

or are you worried that if you do what you love all day every day, you'll realize you didn't really love it that much in the first place?