Quantcast

To hell with 'professional' jobs

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I just called Yeti for a quick customer support question and got the best voicemail response ever. "Sorry, you've caught us during our lunch ride. We are closed from 11:30 to 1:00..."

I truly admire guys like the Yeti crew who are able to do a job they love AND do what they love. Sometimes I really wish I had just taken the job with Giant out of college. There really is something to be said about style of life vs. lifestyle.

Anybody bike companies need a sales person?

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
My theory has always been do a job you don't mind doing, that pays good money.

Then spend the money on the things you enjoy.

Doing your hobby or sport for a job seems like a good way to possibly ruin it.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
BTW, "professional jobs" are awesome when you have nearly a million dollars in medical expenses covered almost entirely by the insurance policy. Not to mention, the company is able and willing to hold your job for a year while you rehab, and continues to offer you insurance coverage while you are on leave. And they have the resources to make modifications to your work-space to accommodate any lasting handicaps. Sure, you can't get that neck tattoo you always wanted, but it seems a small price to pay.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
A group of 4-5 engineers at my place go for a 1.5 hour mountain bike ride everyday during lunch. Professionals and ride during lunch? *Gasp*

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
A group of 4-5 engineers at my place go for a 1.5 hour mountain bike ride everyday during lunch. Professionals and ride during lunch? *Gasp*
Well, I don't have that whole engineering background thing, so I'm just going to bitch about it.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
There is also at least one major CPA firm I am aware of that has showers and lockers in their San Diego office so that the employees can surf before work then head straight in to the office to clean up and start the day.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
The irony is that despite my 7+ years in finance, I never actually learned accounting.

Ithnu

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Denver
Funny, when I was in grad school I found out the prof I TA'd for was also into mt biking. There was a 7 mile loop along the river right near campus we'd do for our weekly meetings:thumb:.

I'm in engineering and in the fall when it gets dark early I'll take a long lunch once a week and get a weekday ride in. Flex time rules.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
My field is great because there's an established track that some people follow that offers less money (but still great money) along with 14 weeks of vacation per year. The 2/3rds track. Hell yes.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I just called Yeti for a quick customer support question and got the best voicemail response ever. "Sorry, you've caught us during our lunch ride. We are closed from 11:30 to 1:00..."

I truly admire guys like the Yeti crew who are able to do a job they love AND do what they love. Sometimes I really wish I had just taken the job with Giant out of college. There really is something to be said about style of life vs. lifestyle.

Anybody bike companies need a sales person?
I like my professional job better than my bike shop job.

I work less hours, ride more, weekends off, flex time, and, oh, yeah, I don't make $15 a hour without bennies.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Working for a small company now and work hours are truly flexible. I roll in between 6:00 and 9:00, some folks don't even show up until noon. The only bad thing about it is that meetings can usually only happen from 12:00-:300 as that is the only time everyone is here. I plan on taking some longer lunches to run or ride if it ever stops raining.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
There was a job at Nike that was sent my way.

We would like to inform you of a Contract position in USA-Oregon-Beaverton for Test Project Coordinator(QA). Please read the job description completely. To apply for this position, click on the Apply button below or copy/paste the link at the bottom of the email into your browser. We wish you the best of luck in applying for this position, and be sure to update your profile frequently to provide the best matches possible!

This is a 6 months contract opportunity at our customer site, a leading company in Beaverton, OR 97006.

Job description:

1) Put in place tools & communication for requesting inrun testing from Nike running community & the business team.
2) Put in place tools for capturing inrun test results & feedback from Nike running community & business team
3) Ideally this person is an runner that can run daily in order to collect run data as well. This person needs to become an expert in the functionality of the running devices & their features.
4) Facilitate knowledge transfer of feature testing needed from the functional testing team to actually in run testers (runners) making sure they understand what to test and how to test
5) Facilitate making sure testers have the right devices, versions, etc. Need to understand how to install and upgrade devices as needed.
6) Help manage all physical devices, location of, versions, etc.
7) Work very closely with the functional QA team in order to understand when immediate inrun testing is needed and where
8) Help form the inrun community at Nike. Maintain contact info, runners ability and location. This inrun model would expand beyond just Beaverton for all of the major regions in the world so when we need to test a top route in NY or Japan we can get a runner on it quickly and collect the appropriate feedback.
9) Pull together the DS business team to give them the tools to really contribute to overall! quality management of what we deliver in DS.

Skills/Roles req uired for this position:
Must have:
-Must be very active and a daily runner.

-Need to have great communication & organization skills
-Need to be comfortable with interactions with the business
-Need to be proficient with software applications
-Need to have a good understanding of how consumer electronic devices work

Nice to have:
-Solid Quality Assurance understanding & general IT knowledge
I :rofl: at the "Must be a runner" and "Would be nice if you knew how to do QA and stuff"

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
my field kinda sucks. i love mechanical things and stuff... but the pressure sucks.

i work at after-sales for forklifts.
being the boss of the service dept for a Toyota distributor means 8am-7pm workdays, plus saturdays 8am-1pm, almost 60 hour-workweeks, travelling abroad a few times a year, night conferences with japan, ive had 6am calls, workdays until 11pm, and any time anything breaks, i have to magically have it fixed.

my company owes me 71 vacation days. i have only taken 2 weeks of vacation over the last 3 years.

money is good... but sigh... i truly wish i had known about thie before entering the field..
:(

Your job is what you make of it. I take long riding lunches and have put a lot of effort over the years into nudging the company culture away from the 60 hour crap-fest. You have to say no politely and work with your compatriots so that no single individual can be identified as "the agitator". After you have a bunch of time in and have established working relationships, you can afford to be more overt. The interesting thing is that just as much or more good work gets done when people aren't burnt out. It's hard for some people to get their head around that.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
BTW, "professional jobs" are awesome when you have nearly a million dollars in medical expenses covered almost entirely by the insurance policy. Not to mention, the company is able and willing to hold your job for a year while you rehab, and continues to offer you insurance coverage while you are on leave. And they have the resources to make modifications to your work-space to accommodate any lasting handicaps. Sure, you can't get that neck tattoo you always wanted, but it seems a small price to pay.
This.

I was once very close to becoming a ski/climb bum. I had a summer job as a climbing instructor and a winter job with the Squaw Valley race department.

Only problem was that I watched a few close friends get really screwed over. When you get hurt you can't do your job and you don't make enough money to pay for insurance so you end up on the couch scraping by selling drugs.

It's not always as easy as it sounds.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
The irony is that despite my 7+ years in finance, I never actually learned accounting.
No irony there. At my university, the guys that could not hack the accounting course work would usually drop into finance as a major, the guys that could not hack it there went on to economics.

Btw, I certainly appreciate a quality of life, but the other side of that coin is that with all the flex schedules and casual environment stuff, a business is still a business. I hate when I need to call a meeting and it takes an act of god to schedule it because half the people work an early schedule and half the people work a late schedule and the other half work from home or some other flexy arrangement. We get upset in America when politicians get too casual with their schedule, but we want to be loosey goosey with our time. If we keep valuing dicking around on company time then we need to stop wasting time wondering why our economy is in the toilet.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
When Im at work, I like to get there and get done what needs to be done. Taking hour-plus lunches for riding bikes or running or whatever else just pushes back the hour that I'll be able to return home or go do something else I want to be doing.

That's not to say such an approach would work for everyone, but if I take off on a bike ride at noon, the odds of anything getting done after I get back are not very good. I really need to focus.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
My field is great because there's an established track that some people follow that offers less money (but still great money) along with 14 weeks of vacation per year. The 2/3rds track. Hell yes.
14 weeks! What are you??? European???

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I don't want to hear either Joker or Toshi bitching about their jobs.
On the other hand, I just got home now after doing an angio on an unstable trauma patient. There are tradeoffs to everything.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
On the other hand, I just got home now after doing an angio on an unstable trauma patient. There are tradeoffs to everything.

I'm still at work resetting passwords for people who can't speak English or count to 8. For about 1/10th of what you make. I think I got the short end of the trade off stick. :think:

For the record I am really just kidding about bitching about jobs and all that. I am where I am because of my own decisions. I don't blame anyone for my crappy job other than myself. Nor do I harbour resentment for those who have achieved a greater level of success than I. (Which is pretty much everybody.) :p

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
farming is where its at.

No boss except mother nature.
Play in dirt all day.
Freshest food possible
Trails at home.

cons:

All cash goes back into farm.

Mother nature can and will ruin crops.

Last edited:

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I miss my last assignment, where I could ride in the mornings before work, right out my door up into big, green African hills. With my boss most of the time so I couldn't be late, and I get three paid hours of physical training a week, so we could get in a half hour later than everyone every day, if anyone was bothering to count.

Now I fight with the wife over who's turn it is to take a short run in the generally-crappy atmosphere every morning, along less-than-awesome routes, and neither of us usually manages to make it due to fatigue and baby care. I'm a lazy wuss, but I guess it's gonna be this way for a while.

I do get to motorcycle to work and back, which at least gives a daily danger fix for sure.

If and when we get a shower at work I'll consider getting a CX or road bike to commute a few days a week. Or maybe I should just invest in a massive stash of baby wipes. Hmmmmm.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
No riding during work hours for me, but I get out of work at 3:30 so I can ride any day after work. Not working weekends is nice too. Plus the company policy for salaried folks is that if you work four hours in a day, it's considered a full day. They figure it all evens itself out in the end. So, I can take the occasional half day during nice weather and not get hit with personal time. Of course, if you abuse the system your manager can strip you of the privilege. I also get five weeks of vacation.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
No riding during work hours for me, but I get out of work at 3:30 so I can ride any day after work. Not working weekends is nice too. Plus the company policy for salaried folks is that if you work four hours in a day, it's considered a full day. They figure it all evens itself out in the end. So, I can take the occasional half day during nice weather and not get hit with personal time. Of course, if you abuse the system your manager can strip you of the privilege. I also get five weeks of vacation.

How could you not mention casual friday?

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
I didn't realize you lived in Europe

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
How could you not mention casual friday?
Costs $3 for a jeans day sticker. :thumbsdown: Technically I should be paying $5 and wearing khakis since management is "encouraged to", but I wear jeans anyway and they only ask for $3 so that's what I pay. Well, unless HR Chick is selling the stickers, in which case she knows who I am and charges me $5.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Costs $3 for a jeans day sticker. :thumbsdown: Technically I should be paying $5 and wearing khakis since management is "encouraged to", but I wear jeans anyway and they only ask for $3 so that's what I pay. Well, unless HR Chick is selling the stickers, in which case she knows who I am and charges me $5.
You have to pay to wear jeans?:rofl:

Is the money spent on decorations for the monthly Hawaiian Shirt day?