Quantcast

Thomson Bars

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I love the quality and attention to detail that thomson puts in their components. These should be good.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
With Boeing Dreamliner production moving 3 hours away from Thomson HQ I wonder if we'll see a more serious foray into composites at some point. I'm not sure how much metal is even left in fancy-pants aeroplanes. AFAIK the current(upcoming) carbon bars aren't necessarily going to be made in GA.

Thomson bought swaging and drawing equipment to make the metal bars. That stuff ain't too hard to use or too expensive if you're actually planning on using it.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
With Boeing Dreamliner production moving 3 hours away from Thomson HQ I wonder if we'll see a more serious foray into composites at some point. I'm not sure how much metal is even left in fancy-pants aeroplanes. AFAIK the current(upcoming) carbon bars aren't necessarily going to be made in GA.

Thomson bought swaging and drawing equipment to make the metal bars. That stuff ain't too hard to use or too expensive if you're actually planning on using it.
Their website states that the carbon bars will be made in Taiwan but they want to have in-house carbon capabilities by 2014.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
The bend is pretty shallow on those Thomsons... 6 back / 4 up. I don't think I've tried a bar with those specs... I wonder how it feels.

That is shallower than the Renthals, which someone was complaining about in another thread. I've always used Answers and Eastons, though I would appreciate a little more cockpit space as long as it doesn't feel weird or hurt my wrists. I know the typical BMX bar sweep doesn't feel good to me.

Answers are 4/8
Renthals are 5/7
Havocs are 5/9

PS - i love Thomson and look forward to any product release from them.

EDIT: after thinking about it, I think older Answers had more sweep to them.

Last edited:

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I would be very surprised if these bars are made in the US. If they are, props and I will buy them.
Making a DH bar for $80 retail is one of the things that we just don't know how to do in this country. Same with Carbon. We can compete with machined components all day long. Thomson stems are on par price wise with billet asian stems.
@suspectdevice: All the small/medium sized structural parts on the 787 are still machined aluminum. It's the larger superstructure and skin that are composite. That stuff wasn't billet before. It was extrusions and sheet riveted together.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I'm with William on this. The market is full of good alu bars. Why do we need yet another option? It may be only me but I feel like Thomson becomes less and less relevant.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
I'm excited about them too, but this>
The bend is pretty shallow on those Thomsons... 6 back / 4 up.
6 degrees is the proper sweep for a narrow xc bar, but not for a wider/DH bar. They should be 8 or 9 degrees IMO. They are also doing some with 12 degree sweep too which is just goofy.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
I'm excited about them too, but this>
6 degrees is the proper sweep for a narrow xc bar, but not for a wider/DH bar. They should be 8 or 9 degrees IMO. They are also doing some with 12 degree sweep too which is just goofy.
I'm sure if people complain they'll just change the bend, bending crap is EASY.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
ill care more when theres a 1" rise and a sweep that feels good to me like 9/5
^^^This, and please make a 1.5" rise option... some of us are still tall, you know. Just 'cuz Danny Hart runs bars with 10mm of rise or whatever doesn't make everyone 4'11". I love Thomson stuff but that is one goofy bend/sweep combo platter.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
^^^This, and please make a 1.5" rise option... some of us are still tall, you know. Just 'cuz Danny Hart runs bars with 10mm of rise or whatever doesn't make everyone 4'11". I love Thomson stuff but that is one goofy bend/sweep combo platter.
Agreed, please make some high rise bars, this low bar fad is lame, combined with low rise direct mounts it's terrible.
and an I-Beam seat post too please.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
That's awesome! Wish Thomson would do one in house. I asked them awhile ago about it and they commented something about working on their own standard. I'd be all over a Thomson I-beam setup

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
That's awesome! Wish Thomson would do one in house. I asked them awhile ago about it and they commented something about working on their own standard. I'd be all over a Thomson I-beam setup
I think Thomson do have their own adaptor, I want a complete I-Beam Thomson post though, not one with the added weight of an adaptor and a clamp that's not needed. I hope they don't do their own new standard, I-Beam works well IMO.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Remind me again for contextual sake. You're US born and transplanted to Europe? Or native to "Warsaw"?
Polish born but not native to Warsaw. Born a bit closer to the hills.

btw. That adapter is nice. Never went for Thomson but if I beam was an option I might do it.