Quantcast

%Thoisday GMT%

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
0 and running qualifies as two speeds. If it runs, STFU.
semi-serious question: is the absence of speed considered a "speed"? if no, then only one speed, unless you consider the large range of speeds it hits while moving from zero to max...then it's a super-awesome MULTI-SPEED fan and you got a bargain!!!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
semi-serious question: is the absence of speed considered a "speed"? if no, then only one speed, unless you consider the infinite number of speeds it hits while moving from zero to max...then it's a super-awesome MULTI-SPEED fan and you got a bargain!!!
Speed is a scalar description of velocity magnitude. Therefore 0 is a valid speed. You could argue that 0 is not a valid velocity as direction is meaningless. If he purchased a multi angular velocity fan that only did nothing, or something, then he should be pissed.

In all seriousness, not sure why Jon wants multiple speeds. If it is for noise, I get it. However if it is for energy savings there is little difference. A multispeed AC induction motor doesn't consume less energy at lower speeds, it just becomes less efficient with an increased voltage-current phase shift.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Speed is a scalar description of velocity magnitude. Therefore 0 is a valid speed. You could argue that 0 is not a valid velocity as direction is meaningless. If he purchased a multi angular velocity fan that only did nothing, or something, then he should be pissed.

In all seriousness, not sure why Jon wants multiple speeds. If it is for noise, I get it. However if it is for energy savings there is little difference. A multispeed AC induction motor doesn't consume less energy at lower speeds, it just becomes less efficient with an increased voltage-current phase shift.
It specifically said "operating speeds".

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
How I ended my commute home

Cabbie open door right in front of me. Left index finger hit the door first then some other body part and the bike. No broken bones.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Just drove a really, really clean e36 M3. Pretty close to pulling the trigger and unloading das Audi.

Went to lunch with some friends, took a postprandial mixed media ride on the Moonlander, which finally raised my frustration with hunting by the rear derailleur when pedaling hard uphill. Got back home and after an epic struggle trying to get the LX derailleur to work properly (measure chain wear, disassemble and clean everything, straighten bent hanger, still no laundly...), cured it by installing an XT RD-M772 derailleur.

It is now beer thirty.