Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I don't always race DH. But when I do, it's with my wife and flip flops on a tandem. And there's no suspension. Oh and wait for it.....it's on a fat tandem. Bet you didn't think those existed, did you? Oh and it has to be on the western slope cuz my homies on the front range or anyone in summit county would make fun of me.

:D

In all honesty, that looks like fun. But I'd need some serious wings and beer after that! :D

Last edited:

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
I don't always race DH. But when I do, it's with my wife and flip flops on a tandem. And there's no suspension. Oh and wait for it.....it's on a fat tandem. Bet you didn't think those existed, did you? Oh and it has to be on the western slope cuz my homies on the front range or anyone in summit valley would make fun of me.

:D

In all honesty, that looks like fun. But I'd need some serious wings and beer after that! :D
Goofin around at Interbike in Bootleg Canyon. She used to work the Santana Tandems booth with me every year. That was a "prototype" we made as a fun attention getter for Interbike.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Goofin around at Interbike in Bootleg Canyon. She used to work the Santana Tandems booth with me every year. That was a "prototype" we made as a fun attention getter for Interbike.
Just needs an electric motor to get you :banned: from here. :D

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
Looking at replacing my frame, I did some quick math.

2020 Meta AM frame only pre-pandemic (2020) : 1800$cdn retail
2023 Meta SX (V4) frame only : 2300$ (+35% from previous version)
2024 Meta V5 frame only : 2800$ (+22% from previous version, 56% from 4 years ago)

All the reviews I've read about the new platform say that the links started creaking shortly and that they had to undo it all, re-grease to get rid of the sound. 4 years later, the alignment and build quality doesn't seem any better, all that for a 56% price increase. Now the V4 SX is 1700$ on sale, and they couldn't even unload them with an additionnal 10% off on black friday.

I'm sorry, but seeing those price increases and knowing how the industry took advantage of its consumers during the pandemic sales boost, I have a hard time feeling bad for the industry right now. As a reciprocital FU, I just stocked up on consumables and shoes found at 50% off, some helmets at 70%, so I probably won't need to buy anything for the next 3-4 years.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
2020 Meta AM frame only pre-pandemic (2020) : 1800$cdn retail
2023 Meta SX (V4) frame only : 2300$ (+35% from previous version)
2024 Meta V5 frame only : 2800$ (+22% from previous version, 56% from 4 years ago)
That's weird considering the brands I pay attention to (Ibis, Santa Cruz, Scott) are currently selling for the same or less than in 2019.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I paid $1200 US for a Meta AM v4 frame only in fall 2020 for a 21MY. I still love this bike.

It’s a total buyer’s market now mostly. $55 Freerider Pros, $99 TLD A3, Yeti, Spec and SC all on sale.

I think some brands are going to go under by March.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
A turning radius limiting device to add the weight back you saved with your crackey carbon fiber frame?

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
I guess my point is that I'm seeing an overly complicated, Kashmir coated mini air shock that will have to be rebuilt annually and probably cost way too much for the way-too-little benefit it has for most riders. Why not Hopey?

Or better yet, a shot headset!

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I guess my point is that I'm seeing an overly complicated, Kashmir coated mini air shock that will have to be rebuilt annually and probably cost way too much for the way-too-little benefit it has for most riders. Why not Hopey?

Or better yet, a shot headset!
Hopeys are kinda crappy tbh. If you insist on using a steering damper, Cane Creeks is significantly better.

But even better than that is a regular ass headset without a steering damper.

Edit: I shouldn't shit on them. Some people have legitimate physical aliments and related problems that steering dampers genuinely help with.

They just kinda suck for anybody who spends any time with the wheels off the ground.

Last edited:

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Hopeys are kinda crappy tbh. If you insist on using a steering damper, Cane Creeks is significantly better.

But even better than that is a regular ass headset without a steering damper.

Edit: I shouldn't shit on them. Some people have legitimate physical aliments and related problems that steering dampers genuinely help with.

They just kinda suck for anybody who spends any time with the wheels off the ground.
The Cane Creek one isn't speed sensitive though is it? That's what the WRP guy is going for. Theoretically with the right damping inflection point you could set a steering damper so that bar turns wouldn't be damped but sudden wheel deflection would (assuming those are different speeds). Interesting enough experiment to try out if you have the time and means I guess.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
The Cane Creek one isn't speed sensitive though is it? That's what the WRP guy is going for. Theoretically with the right damping inflection point you could set a steering damper so that bar turns wouldn't be damped but sudden wheel deflection would (assuming those are different speeds). Interesting enough experiment to try out if you have the time and means I guess.
Yeah I'm not sure it'd make any functional difference in jumping where you're coming off lips going fairly quick, frequently not hitting straight on and requiring adjustments in the air, I'm willing to bet it would just kind of turn the bike into a dead sailor machine.

I think you'd need a WAY heavier bike (eg a moto) to counteract effects of the damper on your bike in the air.

I donno. Just speculating, you could be totally right. I'll wait for woo to tell us what to think,

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Aren't the Canyon Kidz (Troy B and all) running some kind of steering thingy?

I never really felt the need. But if I really screwed up, (and I have) would that have saved me?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Bring back the Rollamajig!
(can you imagine how rotted that bAssWoRm surgical tubing is by now? )
I bought generic rollamajigs from eBay the other year from @Sandwich ’s recommendation. They still have a use for bikes with poor angles on the housing.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
would it surprise absolutely anyone that I have a hopey in my parts bin?
Those things have at least one legit usefulness - I know a couple of riders with conditions or missing limbs that only have one functioning arm and they love those things. If you have any military vet riding groups near you I bet they'd know someone that could use it.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Those things have at least one legit usefulness - I know a couple of riders with conditions or missing limbs that only have one functioning arm and they love those things. If you have any military vet riding groups near you I bet they'd know someone that could use it.
That's a good point.

I've got a buddy who does the fake arm/leg thing (some would call it prosthetics) he should know about that. Most of his patients come from diabetes and/or crazy random freak accidents, including war. But if they want to ride, let them!

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Theres a thread over on pinkbike where people are talking about how important weight is and how they're willing to make some sacrifices like good tires to get the weight down with lots of positivity and hugging about it.

Looking at the stupid idlers coming on trail bikes these days, looks like the pendulum of making good bikes is swinging back towards "make dog shit for dumbass dentists that think that buying a plane ticket out to go ride bentonville is the pinnacle of mountain biking"

Average MTB Consumer: Willing to spend any amount of money for keeping up with the Joneses on expensive suspension that shits the bed and needs a new CSU every year and half because it's so much more supple and perfect than the competing brand that makes the exact same shit bro.

Also Average MTB Consumer: unwilling to put on tires that make a bigger difference than any suspension change would make at 1/10th the cost because they're so heavy bro.

I guess it's useful for helping me when I'm trying to figure out who to listen to and who's a goober, and who rides in places I want to go ride and who doesn't.