Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
To be honest, the Crank Brothers multitools are awesome. I have a M17 that I've been using a lot since 10 years and it's been flawless. I just bought another one to leave in my other pack. It's sturdy, has all the tools, does not rust, the chain breaker works great and they're reasonably priced. My new CB dropper (the cheapest one) works just as well as my OneUp too and it was cheap.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I've always been satisfied with crankbros multitools. Always works and doesn't bend or flop around like some others.

But my oldest one has definitely rusted. To be fair though, it has been through some nasty rain days and forgotten in the bottom of the bag a few times. :brows:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Yeah my stainless Lezyne one is the only multitool that hasn't rusted. The person that lost it on the trail must have been pretty sad, it's a great tool.
I wish shops would stock the new version of it, looks better than the version I have.
1704097743119.png

sundaydoug

Monkey
Jun 8, 2009
Yeah my stainless Lezyne one is the only multitool that hasn't rusted. The person that lost it on the trail must have been pretty sad, it's a great tool.
I wish shops would stock the new version of it, looks better than the version I have.
View attachment 205814
I have this problem, no matter how careful I am to not get them wet all the multi-tools I've carried have rusted at some point. Good to know there's an option out there that actually doesn't rust.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
I probably have at least ten mini-tool solutions that I have tried, liked, not liked, or have become became obsolete.
At least three older generation Topeak Aliens. I haven’t needed 8,9, and 10mm open wrenches (or even a spoke wrench) on the trail in a long while. Or a bottle opener.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I probably have at least ten mini-tool solutions that I have tried, liked, not liked, or have become became obsolete.
At least three older generation Topeak Aliens. I haven’t needed 8,9, and 10mm open wrenches (or even a spoke wrench) on the trail in a long while. Or a bottle opener.
It's not even about using the tools on my own bike.

The satisfaction that can be obtained when one of your buddies has a breakdown, who also never brings tools, is great. You know, when they get to the point where they are about to start that long walk of shame back - "oh wait Jimmy, I DO have a tool to fix that!" :D

In PA I ran into some dudes who got a flat. But the valve would not budge (to put in a tube), so they were about to start a LONG trudge back. Luckily I had a pair pliers and yanked it right off.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Does anyone make the little multi tool that you can bolt to your water bottle mount anymore?

I had a SpecialEd SWAT one. The one that bolts to the water bottle cage, at the bottom. But doesn't seem like they make them anymore? Was pretty handy. Light. Simple.

I preferred that solution to carrying it in a pack or on your body. Or even a strap. Dare I say it. Effing straps.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Does anyone make the little multi tool that you can bolt to your water bottle mount anymore?

I had a SpecialEd SWAT one. The one that bolts to the water bottle cage, at the bottom. But doesn't seem like they make them anymore? Was pretty handy. Light. Simple.

I preferred that solution to carrying it in a pack or on your body. Or even a strap. Dare I say it. Effing straps.
that was going to be my suggestion, I still have one

they're good for quick light duty adjustments but I did break one trying to tighten a crankbolt once

there's gotta be better equivalents out there eh?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
It's not even about using the tools on my own bike.

The satisfaction that can be obtained when one of your buddies has a breakdown, who also never brings tools, is great. You know, when they get to the point where they are about to start that long walk of shame back - "oh wait Jimmy, I DO have a tool to fix that!" :D

In PA I ran into some dudes who got a flat. But the valve would not budge (to put in a tube), so they were about to start a LONG trudge back. Luckily I had a pair pliers and yanked it right off.
Small pliers are invaluable at times. I definitely bring them for expedition stuff. No need for a 3lb giant leatherman, but just something that has pliers and a few blades tends to be hugely helpful, in addition to a "multi-tool".

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Small pliers are invaluable at times. I definitely bring them for expedition stuff. No need for a 3lb giant leatherman, but just something that has pliers and a few blades tends to be hugely helpful, in addition to a "multi-tool".
I made a custom pouch for my Leatherman Signal and never looked back. 7 interchangeable bits cover all the Philips/Torx/Allen bolts in my bike, and the pliers come handy with stuck thorns, wires thrown across the trail and even stubborn bolts.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/

afaik still available, at least we still have them in stock. you buy them with the bottle mount

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
afaik still available, at least we still have them in stock. you buy them with the bottle mount
Hmm...Guess I'll have to look harder. They are not on Spec's USA site anymore from what I can tell. And I already have like a gazzilion cages. Just lost the tool. Booooo

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
I have the minimalist OneUp tool stashed in the pump attached to water bottle mount. But yeah, pliers. Got stuck once with a valve that I couldn't undo. Fixed that with valves with tall nuts.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
a valve that I couldn't undo. Fixed that with valves with tall nuts.
if its the common issue of sealant gumming them up. Take your lighter and heat up the valve core nut. It should now undo without a tool.
But since we're taking about tools Nukeproof do a little tubeless repair strip stabber in the shape of a co2 cartridge. One end is a valve core key the other is a valve nut gripper.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
Hmm...Guess I'll have to look harder. They are not on Spec's USA site anymore from what I can tell. And I already have like a gazzilion cages. Just lost the tool. Booooo

my google skillz are tremendous

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Wolf Tooth makes this guy. I have one. Only carry it on big rides. Mainly for your valve stem and chain links. But I'm sure could be like pliers. Just don't expect Knipex type of a thing out of it. :)

https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/collections/tools/products/pack-pliers
Naw.

I use the chain tool to push the links out, then you use the quick link to fix the chain. I've never run into a situation on a trail where I needed something like that, plus, they won't work as pliers, just quick-link pliers. There's a hack somewhere too where you can remove a quick link on the trail with no pliers at all if you really need (forget what it entails, but it's pretty easy).

Actual pliers, 1000x better IMO.

I also have a set of wire-strippers/cutters that are for some reason just perfect for quick links at home.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I made a custom pouch for my Leatherman Signal and never looked back. 7 interchangeable bits cover all the Philips/Torx/Allen bolts in my bike, and the pliers come handy with stuck thorns, wires thrown across the trail and even stubborn bolts.
Also, little scissors are nice for trimming tire plugs...but micro toenail clippers are perfect.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Using the same tip in the shed should still mean you won't have gummed up valves to deal with on your next ride

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Naw.

I use the chain tool to push the links out, then you use the quick link to fix the chain. I've never run into a situation on a trail where I needed something like that, plus, they won't work as pliers, just quick-link pliers. There's a hack somewhere too where you can remove a quick link on the trail with no pliers at all if you really need (forget what it entails, but it's pretty easy).

Actual pliers, 1000x better IMO.

I also have a set of wire-strippers/cutters that are for some reason just perfect for quick links at home.
trick for quick link removal in a pinch is, i think, shoelaces.

and i just use the valve stem caps that have the core remover built in...always been fine so far...

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
trick for quick link removal in a pinch is, i think, shoelaces.

and i just use the valve stem caps that have the core remover built in...always been fine so far...
Can verify, I have done this after ripping the hanger off at the bike park.
Used a shoelace to pop the quick link and remove the chain. Worked great.

Rode chainless the rest of the way down and was 1.7% faster. :clue:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
that was going to be my suggestion, I still have one

they're good for quick light duty adjustments but I did break one trying to tighten a crankbolt once

there's gotta be better equivalents out there eh?
Topeak Ninja, or that too big?
I think they have a side exit cage now as the normal one was useless on a hardtail.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo

my google skillz are tremendous
Damn straight! Good on ya! I could have sworn that wasn't there a couple weeks ago. Oh well, maybe I was just looking for the tool only as I already have the cage.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Wolf Tooth makes this guy.
AliXpress sell pretty much identical copys at 10% of the price.
Agree with Jm_ though that there's little reason *nowadays to ever need to open a quick link out on a trail and carrying a decent chain tool and spare quick link is of far greater value.

*chain jammed between crank/chainring and BB is the only time I've really encountered it and seems to be a thing of the past now we have clutch/NW and granny rings are gone from mtb

Last edited:

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
All it takes is one cased landing to get the chain to hop off the N/W front ring and jam, causing the bike to abruptly stop, slamming your nuts into the saddle to make you run a chain guide on all your bikes until the end of time.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I feel like I use a chain tool on the trail at least once a year, but it's true that it's often for someone else's bike. But I agree there is no need to carry quick link pliers. Nice to have in the shop but you can get them open without one when needed.