Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
How long did it take for them to embrace single-ring transmissions? How long to start featuring sealed bearings?
Other than the very first xts, shimano brakes of every model, have all worked inconsistently. And they've let it ride far longer than anything else with better staring them in the face.

free ballin bearings are probably close. That's arguably better though since you can almost get an infinite life hub out of them.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
In 680,000 units sold, to be fair. 7 in 1,000 failed. I blame the stupid aero everything trend and their move from simple 5 bolt chainring design.
Yeah, and x amount that failed and were not reported, x amount that are actively creaking (in failure mode), x amount with the corrosion issues that will start creaking and fail. Race Face stopped sending replacement Next SLs to many of us, myself included, despite their flaw, so again, who knows how many failed. I have one set of L and R crankarms I think that isn't cracked, a backup for a snow bike or something, but I'm pretty confident they'll crack if I use em for any significant period of time. It's a reasonable deduction that the "affected" number is far larger than 7 in 1000.

Biggest issue appears to be the steel axle riveted to the aluminum carrier/inside clamshell and that sets the whole thing off, you can see the corrosion hasn't move down the outside clamshell yet. It causes the movement/expansion that causes the glue to fail.
Ultegra.jpg

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
Shimano was looking the best post COVID boom.
Not any more.

That is an expensive recall. Kinda sad I ditched all Shimano road cranks long ago, curious as to see what they do for a replacement.

XTR cranks are of a similar bonded design currently..... :eek:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Shimano was looking the best post COVID boom.
Not any more.

That is an expensive recall. Kinda sad I ditched all Shimano road cranks long ago, curious as to see what they do for a replacement.

XTR cranks are of a similar bonded design currently..... :eek:

You forgot the goods!

xtrcrank.JPG

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I do not doubt the incredibly high prices of lift passes. Even in the summer, at a Vail Resort.

It used to be if you had a winter ski pass, summer was free, but you had to pay for your "bike haul". It is/was as ridiculous as it sounds. I think they're around $45 now for a day pass for biking. For the likes of Vail, Keystone, Crested Butte, etc.

That seems like a huge discount seeing as during ski season it's approaching $200/day. To wait in a huge lift line with a bunch of tourons from Texas. :D

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
I hadn't been in like five years so I dunno when the new loamer entry to Smitty's went in but it is super awesome. DH1 -> Smitty's -> HoneyDrop was an all time lap, Smitty's is like a waterslide depth rut now and you can get slappy into those little catch turns. I was grinning like an idiot the whole time.
Absolutely! We were riding in ridiculous dust (even the patrol was thinking of closing some things) and DH1, Insanity, Smitty's and Gnarboom were so fun. We were literally giggling maniacally as we rode cause we couldn't stop and no one could see shit in front of them. It's the best when you get away with stuff like that! Just put in what was probably my last day of lift accessed riding for the season and I miss it already. DH bikes are the best.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Approaching? Most resorts blew through the $200/day barrier *years* ago.

Wow. That's bs. We always get the Epic pass. Looks like if I ski 3 days it's paid for. Sweeeeet....

That's a cool article with all the data. I'm a data nerd. Thanks for posting that. Whodathunk Snowmass with the most vert? I do love me some Snowmass.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo

You know... with the "other" pass, you could go ski Snowmass. :p
Why? Cuz. Just kind of inherited all the jackassery surrounding Vail Resorts/Epic pass.
1) Family condo in Breck
2) Friends have condos in Breck (depending on conditions, we have bailed from "free" condo in Breck to get a place in Vail. Cuz fresh pow matters.) And we all have Epic passes.
3) I hate Breck (Sorry Leland :)
4) Was married in Vail and you can't really go wrong there except for crowds/tourons
5) The Beav is the best in CO for me and my family, all things considered. Don't tell anyone. Let them go to WP :)
6) I wish Snowmass was closer or yeah it would be on

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Why? Cuz. Just kind of inherited all the jackassery surrounding Vail Resorts/Epic pass.
1) Family condo in Breck
2) Friends have condos in Breck (depending on conditions, we have bailed from "free" condo in Breck to get a place in Vail. Cuz fresh pow matters.) And we all have Epic passes.
3) I hate Breck (Sorry Leland :)
4) Was married in Vail and you can't really go wrong there except for crowds/tourons
5) The Beav is the best in CO for me and my family, all things considered. Don't tell anyone. Let them go to WP :)
6) I wish Snowmass was closer or yeah it would be on
I think he wanted reasons for why you buy an epic pass

To be fair, he may not have wanted good reasons I guess...