Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
On my XC bike I run a 34t with 29" wheels. I very occassionally use the 10t. Yesterday there were two short sections I did but was far from winding it out. Even with their greater power I'd be surprised if WCers can use a 36x10 on course and I'm sure a 38x10 is useless. Remember back in the day when there were several different tooth options for cassettes? How come if you want to run a modern drivetrain you are forced to buy gearing designed for out of shape people? I just have an aversion to unsprung weight and long derailleur cages so this rubs me the wrong way.
What's right with the industry is last time I checked 11spd XX1 parts were still being produced so it's not the end of the world yet.
One bit to consider, instead of "out of shape people", that would make more sense to be replaced with "middle of the bell curve w/kg riders". I would bet $ that you are ~2 standard deviations above the middle of that curve.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
One bit to consider, instead of "out of shape people", that would make more sense to be replaced with "middle of the bell curve w/kg riders". I would bet $ that you are ~2 standard deviations above the middle of that curve.
Trying to buy a dress shirt today in Texas is futile. Sizes smaller than L do not exist and I’m either S or M. Plenty of sizes for fat people tho.

The curve is shifting.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
Trying to buy a dress shirt today in Texas is futile. Sizes smaller than L do not exist and I’m either S or M. Plenty of sizes for fat people tho.

The curve is shifting.
Ha ha, that is true, but the point still stands that modern wide range drivetrains are made for the middle of the bell curve, not the bottom. The people that don't need the full range are probably much closer to 1%ers on the climbing spectrum than they realize.

SinatorJ

Monkey
Jul 9, 2002
AZ

The curve is shifting.
what do you expect? shopping in Texas, everything is bigger esp the buffets.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
If I can’t climb it in a 32/36, around here, I’ll just walk. Can barely remember the last time I had to walk… was the same time everyone else in the group had to do so.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
FWIW, climbing Teton Pass on the road yesterday, I used my gravel bike, which has 32/40 low gearing. I used every cog, while spinning higher than usual. I broke every PR, both up and down, and got a #2 Strava trophy for the descent. (But I had to brake for some dogs).
I don’t know what to make of that, but I am faster going uphill (which isn’t very fast) with my 28/51 cassette than my 30/51. But again, I am no 1% climber, it’s just what is working for me.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
We need to create a AC suit so I can ride when it's 90*....I find I don't like the heat it bugs me now....

I did see heated grips...lol

To think we used to bomb down thain grade In Lewiston at 1am and -5 degrees (6 to 8 of us)...do drops to the lower part of bank and the grass would make cracking noises lol...standing water was beyond ice...didn't matter it was urban frozen ground was as hard as concrete so urban or trail was equal pain...
Hit up U of I and WSU ride urban in winter when little to no snow but near zero....now I'd pass...snotsicles are so 2000ish....not cool...

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Ha ha, that is true, but the point still stands that modern wide range drivetrains are made for the middle of the bell curve, not the bottom. The people that don't need the full range are probably much closer to 1%ers on the climbing spectrum than they realize.
Totally. Do you remember when Schnell and Hills showed up to races testing XX1? We all (the people who were climbing the transfer sections at the same speed as these two guys who've both won pro XC races in the past) discussed gearing on the climbs and Sram went to market with that. The 2014 Nomad came with a 34t chainring and I think all the other first year bikes did too. When all the customers for the next two years came in to buy smaller chainrings Sram realised pros aren't the ones to listen to about gearing and added a 50t. Too bad for all the current pros that have to carry it around. Miss seeing you at the races!

*Schnell was on a 34t. Hills was on 36t cuz he liked how it kept him up on the cassette while on race stages and he just dealt with it on the transfer climbs.

Last edited:

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Remember how lots of WC DHers were running aftermarket crowns because the Fox 49 was only available with a long offset? So Fox made a point of telling us that the new version of the fork would have 4 different offset crowns available. Turns out they only make those other offsets in their flat upper crown, not in their drop crown that most large and XL bikes need*. Of course the only way to find that out is after you buy the fork when you call to order the 44mm crowns. So if you're tallish or want your handlebar highish you're stuck with the 51mm offset. What are they thinking?

*To be clear, the drop crown isn't some massive drop that is only used on weird fits. It drops like 1cm and is the stock crown on my large Gambler.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Remember how lots of WC DHers were running aftermarket crowns because the Fox 49 was only available with a long offset? So Fox made a point of telling us that the new version of the fork would have 4 different offset crowns available. Turns out they only make those other offsets in their flat upper crown, not in their drop crown that most large and XL bikes need*. Of course the only way to find that out is after you buy the fork when you call to order the 44mm crowns. So if you're tallish or want your handlebar highish you're stuck with the 51mm offset. What are they thinking?

*To be clear, the drop crown isn't some massive drop that is only used on weird fits. It drops like 1cm and is the stock crown on my large Gambler.
Wait really? They list parts for the drop upper crown in various offsets, but I haven't tried to actually order one.

You can use the prior-gen crowns to get 41mm offset on the new fork though.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Wait really? They list parts for the drop upper crown in various offsets, but I haven't tried to actually order one.

You can use the prior-gen crowns to get 41mm offset on the new fork though.
I'll call and ask again. It was a couple weeks ago that I got that bad news. Maybe I'll get the old crowns.

EDIT: Last time on the phone Fox said a drop upper 44mm crown doesn't exist. Now they have a part number but no other information, and it's definitely not in stock. So, progress?

Last edited:

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
I'll call and ask again. It was a couple weeks ago that I got that bad news. Maybe I'll get the old crowns.

EDIT: Last time on the phone Fox said a drop upper 44mm crown doesn't exist. Now they have a part number but no other information, and it's definitely not in stock. So, progress?
Outsider bikes adjustable clamps...

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
History repeats itself. At least we don't need to worry about ghost shifts under a flexy bottom bracket on elevated chainstay designs now.

vivisectxi

Monkey
Jan 14, 2021
yeast van
i was thinking maybe it had a wifi router built in, and the funky visor was an antenna, but wireless tap is a nice addition. damn, this helmet is feature laden!

Last edited: