Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
I'm aware of that but these guys were their own self aggrandizing shit show. Refusing to post geometry, patent #s, data, anything anyone would care about. They referred to everything as "secret sauce" and it went downhill from there. Everything about screamed 90s stoner mountain bikers.
The worst part was them creating bogus accounts at Vital to support the scam while bashing on Intense.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
On their website they had their name and logo trademarked, several people ran searches with the USPTO, but turned up nothing. Same with the patents.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
The worst part was them creating bogus accounts at Vital to support the scam while bashing on Intense.
In the forums spomer mentioned that they reached out to him to let him know it was several people using a shared computer at their shop. Not that it really helped their cause or anything.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I'm aware of that but these guys were their own self aggrandizing shit show. Refusing to post geometry, patent #s, data, anything anyone would care about. They referred to everything as "secret sauce" and it went downhill from there. Everything about screamed 90s stoner mountain bikers.
I Hate that term secret sauce....even when canfield uses it...
Biggest DOOSH term....

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
I don't know if this counts as "the industry", but how about the trend of not wearing any body armor in DH racing? You guys probably heard about Pierron being airlifted with banged up organs. Once a few guys stopped wearing protection everyone else stopped because it feels like a disadvantage. I'm guilty of never wearing my Dainese jacket anymore and usually just G-Form elbow and knee pads. Last night I bought an Alpinestars jacket that looks way slimmer in hopes that I'll wear it along with real knee pads and impact shorts any time I'm riding lifts or the Sur-ron. Should DH racing require back, chest, knee, and elbow pads? I'm leaning toward "yes". Otherwise people won't and will get unnecessarily injured. A requirement will also push the industry toward making unobtrusive protection.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I'm still wearing my poc jacket, knee pads and a Leatt when I'm at the resort.

If I crash, I never bounce.

*not a DH racer and never will be as I'm slow :p

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I don't know if this counts as "the industry", but how about the trend of not wearing any body armor in DH racing? You guys probably heard about Pierron being airlifted with banged up organs. Once a few guys stopped wearing protection everyone else stopped because it feels like a disadvantage. I'm guilty of never wearing my Dainese jacket anymore and usually just G-Form elbow and knee pads. Last night I bought an Alpinestars jacket that looks way slimmer in hopes that I'll wear it along with real knee pads and impact shorts any time I'm riding lifts or the Sur-ron. Should DH racing require back, chest, knee, and elbow pads? I'm leaning toward "yes". Otherwise people won't and will get unnecessarily injured. A requirement will also push the industry toward making unobtrusive protection.
Yeah, I agree. Although you can push the margins and safety in any sport, the nature of DH more than anything really makes the consequences much graver, to the point where people can and will cross the line in to what is blatantly unsafe. Pressures to compete, from sponsors, expectations, industry, and everything else will over-ride someone's judgement and ability to process information. While there will always be some trying to bend the rules, some sort of minimum for the purpose of safety would probably be a good idea. They also have some rules in road racing for this reason, although sometimes they also have rules for the wrong reasons.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
A bunch of them do wear more protection than just knee pads, but they are wearing such slim stuff its hard to tell.
Sadly also a bunch are taping cardboard boxes inside their jerseys as "protection" just to satisfy the authorities. Would piss me off if I was their protective gear sponsor.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I thought France regs required chest armor, at least for UCI DHI?
Gloves and back armour for sure. Not sure about chest.

You have to laugh about the guys who go to crazy extents just to skirt the rules. Surely cardboard armour is more cumbersome that actually just wearing lightweight D30 suits or whatever.

1625093252306.png

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I'm vaguely in the market for a new spine protector, but I've had bad results with every D30 product I've purchased. It's all been the orange rubber a few years back, so I'm not sure if new versions, or the green stuff or the multiple other competitor foams are any different.

The IXS Flow protector looks OK, but also potentially hot as fyck.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Gloves and back armour for sure. Not sure about chest.

You have to laugh about the guys who go to crazy extents just to skirt the rules. Surely cardboard armour is more cumbersome that actually just wearing lightweight D30 suits or whatever.

View attachment 161769
Do they still do that stuff? Surely there is some, but didn't a few get busted in Europe a couple seasons ago and get fined or disqualified?

Haven't really seen it mentioned or pictured anywhere lately...but maybe they are just trying to hide it?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
In Kerr's LSD videos the Pivot team was cutting up and stuffing foam floor tiles under their jerseys. Have to think actual armor would be more comfortable and certainly more effective.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
In Kerr's LSD videos the Pivot team was cutting up and stuffing foam floor tiles under their jerseys. Have to think actual armor would be more comfortable and certainly more effective.
Shows how shit Fly's protective gear is. ;)

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Wonder if they're sponsored by an armour brand that doesn't do chest/back options?

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Are just in favor of this because we are a bunch of old broken angry guys?
For sure the response in here will be different that if you polled a bunch of 20 year olds in line at Trestle. The last time I raced Pro DH in the national champs I think I was the oldest qualifier and the only one wearing a body armor jacket.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I'd like to see better integration between torso armor and neck braces. The only thing I could find that didn't cause some lift of my neck brace last season was a Leatt stealth jacket. The D3o pads are thinner than I'd prefer; it's better than nothing but I'd like something more substantial. Leatt makes heavier duty armor that's supposed to be designed for their neck braces, but I've found they lift the brace too much when I'm low over the bars; they probably work fine for moto.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
So I'm not rad enough and don't ride park enough to warrant a chest & neck protector, but I think the industry needs to find a better way to do elbow pads. Every time I've worn them, they either are so loose there's no way they'd do anything more than a jersey in a crash, or so tight that I would start to get arm pump within 30 seconds or so. So, even though I know intuitively that I'm almost as likely to hit my elbows as my knees in a crash (hell, more likely than my face, and I wear a full face sometimes), I never wear elbow pads.