Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
no doubt. the trails here are already swarming - with people on 5-10k bikes. i'm kinda ok with the sport not being made any more accessible at this point. (privileged elitism acknowledged).

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
It's like an Ellsworth had sex with a lawwill suspension layout and then ran into a bridge overpass while still drunk.
You just perfectly described a bike. A mate here has a collection of vintage bikes and has one called and Outland (?) or something that was actually the original VPP from memory. It had two pivots under the bottom bracket and some really bizarre linkage out back. Apparently, Leigh Donovan raced on a re-stickered one back in her Mongoose days. I think his stuff is in storage but I'll try and get him to get a picture of it.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
You just perfectly described a bike. A mate here has a collection of vintage bikes and has one called and Outland (?) or something that was actually the original VPP from memory. It had two pivots under the bottom bracket and some really bizarre linkage out back. Apparently, Leigh Donovan raced on a re-stickered one back in her Mongoose days. I think his stuff is in storage but I'll try and get him to get a picture of it.
A lot of noise was made about this when it came out. Outland VPP... apparently the original

outland-vpp.jpg

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Set the hook with legit strong and cheap and then bring home the fish when they learn about stables. I think if the focus is entry level the rest follows.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Knolly is only suing now during covid because noel knows americans can't drive up there and slap the shit out of him for being an idiot.

@jstuhlman : hey look! I'm on intense's side :D
hmmm...i figured maybe steber beat him in a sick guitar licks competition or something and he was seeking retribution.

i'll admit, i still miss my uzzi a little bit...

Ryan k

Chimp
Dec 16, 2020
Damn thats cool! My dad briefly worked at outland, always talked what it would've been like if the brand didn't go under. It's amazing your friend has one, I've never been able to find one for sale

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
I was only showing horst-link bike variations secondarily, the lawsuit against intense seems to be only relative to their seatpost angle/location, which all of these bikes would appear to violate, including my own pivot and I'm sure hundreds more. Knolly is claiming using their seatpost angle was to "get it out of the way" of the suspension and allow for full insertion of a seatpost...but great, it's simply a common way that many bikes have and continue to be built, I have a hard time believing this is "novel". And then Knolly pulls the "we're just a small Canadian company" and "big bad Intense in California". I don't ever see Intense bikes anymore and I'm pretty sure they aren't some massive company.
Sooooo many intense bikes around Boise these days, gross and all make my eyes bleed!

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Here it's SC, Revel, Spec, Trek, Kona, Transition. Intense is rare. I'd imagine it's not rare in SoCal. But IMO Intense is not the same company it was 10-15 years ago. At one time they seemed to be the "premier" non-SpecTrekGiant maker. Who remembers Intense Tires? Right?

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
But IMO Intense is not the same company it was 10-15 years ago. At one time they seemed to be the "premier" non-SpecTrekGiant maker. Who remembers Intense Tires? Right?
Intense tires was not the same brand as Intense. They licensed their name to Toby Henderson of THE fame and, I think, what is now Vee tires produced them.

But you are right with Intense bikes. Previously they had appeal because they were made in the US and had this muscle car-like look compared to all those big corporate bike brands with matchy-matchy colorways that are the VW, Subaru, etc. of biking. Now they are just another "designed in the US, made in China" brand. Nothing that sets them apart.
In the old days they were also always quick to adopt new trends (for the better or worse), which they could because of small batch production in house. Now they cannot move that quick, costing them another advantage that they had in the market.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I was a Titus shop for that end of the market when Intense was strong. We really liked the Tituses at the time...
The first year Switchblade was my first dual squish. Had fun on that thing but it wasn't enough travel so I sold it for a Quasimoto after a season. Many good times had on that Quasi.

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
The first year Switchblade was my first dual squish. Had fun on that thing but it wasn't enough travel so I sold it for a Quasimoto after a season. Many good times had on that Quasi.
i've still got a 2005 switchblade in the garage w/the 5" linkage. was a fun bike at the time.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
i've still got a 2005 switchblade in the garage w/the 5" linkage. was a fun bike at the time.
A friend of mine has a racer-x that still gets out a couple times a year. Classic xc/trail bike. Good for him at 150ish lbs.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
Damn thats cool! My dad briefly worked at outland, always talked what it would've been like if the brand didn't go under. It's amazing your friend has one, I've never been able to find one for sale
random: guy i know used to know the OG VPP designer (james klassen) back when they were building the original protos just over the border in sumas, wa. apparently they had first approached rocky with the rights to the design, who passed on it because they thought it was too expensive (instead going with the RM series platform; oh, how things could have been different...).