Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
I see that as a representation of how shitty some parents are. Imagine never bothering to show your kid the ocean when it could be done in an afternoon using public transit? If we view having reasonable parents as a privilege that normalizes shitty parenting. I'm all for helping out kids who had the bad luck to be born to shitty parents but at the same time clearly placing the shame and blame for their situation on said parents, not society at large. #fundplannedparenthood
see: Maslow’s Hierarchy. Then consider that “seeing the ocean” may fall more in the area of Self Actualization than food, shelter, love, family, safety, etc.

If you have all the bases below covered, then yes, not seeing the ocean could be seen as “shitty parenting” (or more charitably as “differing values”). But that is the point of privilege in dialogue today. You are privileged to not have to worry about anything other than self actualization in any meaningful way on a daily basis.

the point here is neither the kids in this example, nor their parents, have their bases in Maslow’s Heirarchy covered, and as such, it’s incredibly obtuse to think that not seeing the ocean is because of “shitty parenting”.

Last edited:

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Oakland to Ocean Beach and back on public transit, on a weekend? There goes your whole day.
Well, the Richmond bridge goes right over the Bay. It is pretty damn close to Oakland. Granted it is the shitty Bay but better to look at then some parts of Oakland. I mean just the cost associated with the sport makes it out of reach for many.
Richmond-SanRafaelBridge.jpg

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Well, the Richmond bridge goes right over the Bay. It is pretty damn close to Oakland. Granted it is the shitty Bay but better to look at then some parts of Oakland. I mean just the cost associated with the sport makes it out of reach for many. View attachment 146176
I was talking public trans to the ocean specifically.

Regarding the costs, this is one of my biggest beefs with “the industry” ... changing standards every 15 minutes isn’t helping things either. That said, a $600 hardtail is enough to get you going. It’s more capable than what I started on saving up paper route/caddy money.

Also, I don’t think I would have started mtb if I didn’t have trails right next to my house that I could ride to independent of my parents.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Well, the Richmond bridge goes right over the Bay. It is pretty damn close to Oakland. Granted it is the shitty Bay but better to look at then some parts of Oakland. I mean just the cost associated with the sport makes it out of reach for many.
The comment he was replying to stated taking public transportation to the beach. Public transportation from Oakland to a beach in Marin wouldn't be super feasible unless you had a lot of time on your hands, there's very few buses to the coast and they're not cheap. Ocean Beach in SF would be the "easiest" from a public transportation perspective and you'd still be stringing together AC Transit > BART > Muni, and you better hope the Muni driver feels like stopping to pick you up that day. You're also looking at close to $20 a person round trip and a whole day. Now imagine a single parent household where the mom works 6-7 days a week to keep the lights on and food on the table with 2-3 kids. Dropping $60-$80 and losing a day of chores/shopping/whatever to go to the beach probably isn't high on the list.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Öhlins releases “super taper” steer toob...

dual crowns bad, just keep adding material until you get something big enough to not creak.
You can run the Ohlins dual crown from 120mm to 200mm of travel. That new steerer standard is mostly visual pairing with huge Ebike downtubes. I’ve seen one on a Zeb as well but both come in a normal version. Also, I doubt Ohlins chose Thok to release their new 38 fork.

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
You can run the Ohlins dual crown from 120mm to 200mm of travel. That new steerer standard is mostly visual pairing with huge Ebike downtubes. I’ve seen one on a Zeb as well but both come in a normal version. Also, I doubt Ohlins chose Thok to release their new 38 fork.
don’t get me wrong I think something has to be done to get steer tubes stiffer, I just know this is the writing on the wall that a new standard for long travel single crowns is coming, I also know how much everyone around here loves new standards.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
What if, instead of making single crown steerer tubes stiffer with a new, dumb standard, we just put a couple more tubes next to them for forks that need that extra stiffness. Maybe those extra tubes could be extensions of the sanctions, with a second crown above the headtube or something.

Just spitballing here.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
What if, instead of making single crown steerer tubes stiffer with a new, dumb standard, we just put a couple more tubes next to them for forks that need that extra stiffness. Maybe those extra tubes could be extensions of the sanctions, with a second crown above the headtube or something.

Just spitballing here.
Noo come on now,
Being able to use existing components would be counterproductive for the lizards.
Let's look at thru axles,
15x100 and 20mm to replaced by 15x110 for trail then finally 20mm boost for dh maybe once 15x110 is to stale another crop of enduro forks will pop up with 20mm boost.

Seems more like it might go 1.8 on enduros, then dh bikes will go 1.5, then only then will enduros finally get some dc forks for 2025 with 20mm boost axles

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

Just spitballing here.
DOUBLE TRIPLE CROWNZ!

fwp

Monkey
Jun 5, 2013
All these Bike companies with their holier than thou posts is way too predictable and downright cringeworthy.
Equality and social justice for all ethnic groups?? These Bike companies charge 10k plus for bikes made in overseas sweatshops.
I always liked Elliot Jackson, and I don't pretend to know what its like to walk in his shoes, but, He's been on 3 factory race teams, currently on Giant Factory. I don't see any other racers on Factory level programs who have raced 1 WC to a (61st place) in the past 3 years??
I am not hating on Jackson, but I do think he gets more opportunities than most. There are more deserving riders if you are purely looking at Race results.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
The comment he was replying to stated taking public transportation to the beach. Public transportation from Oakland to a beach in Marin wouldn't be super feasible unless you had a lot of time on your hands, there's very few buses to the coast and they're not cheap. Ocean Beach in SF would be the "easiest" from a public transportation perspective and you'd still be stringing together AC Transit > BART > Muni, and you better hope the Muni driver feels like stopping to pick you up that day. You're also looking at close to $20 a person round trip and a whole day. Now imagine a single parent household where the mom works 6-7 days a week to keep the lights on and food on the table with 2-3 kids. Dropping $60-$80 and losing a day of chores/shopping/whatever to go to the beach probably isn't high on the list.
just take the train then, lol

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
just take the train then, lol
I remember that there was some kind of muni train in SF down in one of the downtown Bart stations that I came out of to go to the Warfield to see Dio about 2 months before he passed away.

fwp

Monkey
Jun 5, 2013
applying that logic why is anyone sponsoring Fairclough? he's only had 2 top 20 WC finishes in the last 3 seasons.
Because a guy who races World cups fulltime and Podiums at rampage is the same as a guy who use to race world cups 3 years ago??

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
I am not hating on Jackson, but I do think he gets more opportunities than most. There are more deserving riders if you are purely looking at Race results.
If you listen to his interview on the Vital podcast, he goes into a lot of depth about how he markets himself and the different ways that he brings value to a company.

fwp

Monkey
Jun 5, 2013
you said rampage podium. 4th place isn't a rampage podium

also, that just proves the point i'm trying to make. there's more to being valuable to sponsors than just results.
4th at Rampage is a good result for anyone, especially someone who is a full time racer.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I am not hating on Jackson, but I do think he gets more opportunities than most.
You have seen the thread title, right? Do you really believe the industry would support him if he brought no value to them? There are a ton of influencers on Youtube and the insta and they all get support. Do you really think the bike industry does that because they like burning money so much?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
You have seen the thread title, right? Do you really believe the industry would support him if he brought no value to them? There are a ton of influencers on Youtube and the insta and they all get support. Do you really think the bike industry does that because they like burning money so much?
EJ has mentioned in several podcasts that he does a LOT of media work for giant. not to mention all his WC analysis, plus he will now be doing WC analysis for RBM

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
I was talking public trans to the ocean specifically.

Regarding the costs, this is one of my biggest beefs with “the industry” ... changing standards every 15 minutes isn’t helping things either. That said, a $600 hardtail is enough to get you going. It’s more capable than what I started on saving up paper route/caddy money.

Also, I don’t think I would have started mtb if I didn’t have trails right next to my house that I could ride to independent of my parents.
I stated on a free 80s schwinn road bike my dad gave me that I put cheap Cx tires on. I think we can get minimum viable mtb down to hardtail with rigid fork, mechanical disks, and a 1x10 with like a 32 tooth main ring and a 26 tooth sprocket and a non-clutched derailleur. With a short seat tube and a long thick seat tube that can be cut down and have a low minimum inserted length and 450ish reach so you only need 1 frame size. I think you could sell this bike for $200 at Walmart and actually feel ok recommending it to people who want to get into the sport on a safe bike that won't break.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I stated on a free 80s schwinn road bike my dad gave me that I put cheap Cx tires on. I think we can get minimum viable mtb down to hardtail with rigid fork, mechanical disks, and a 1x10 with like a 32 tooth main ring and a 26 tooth sprocket and a non-clutched derailleur. With a short seat tube and a long thick seat tube that can be cut down and have a low minimum inserted length and 450ish reach so you only need 1 frame size. I think you could sell this bike for $200 at Walmart and actually feel ok recommending it to people who want to get into the sport on a safe bike that won't break.
The problem is the dipshit perception that some crappy dangerous suspension fork is better and the stupid masses will always flock to this, rather than a good sturdy rigid plus setup that will be 100x better and more reliable. I was trying to help my brother select a bike a few weeks ago (remotely) and this was a big problem even with the big manufacturers. Instead of this front-suspension XC crap they pedal as the entry level, they could make something that would be inexpensive AND good, but ultimately people are stupid and it makes more money to sell them a bike that isn't great and have them buy another later on to "upgrade"...

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Think it would be tough to hit that $200 price point and profit. BMX bikes are probably the closest comparison to the type of thing we are talking about and they are more like 3-400 for something solid... and that without mechanical discs.

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
Think it would be tough to hit that $200 price point and profit. BMX bikes are probably the closest comparison to the type of thing we are talking about and they are more like 3-400 for something solid... and that without mechanical discs.
Wally world already sells a bike with mechanical disks and a 3x7 and suspension fork for $99. Swap the fork for rigid and save money, take that savings to do a narrow range 1x setup with a granny front gear since a newb doesn't have a need to go faster than 20mph. And throw in another hundred bucks for more margin. Like a 30lb steel frame even if its welded by Ray Charles won't break. I think the 99 dollar hobby doesn't have double wall rims though so you get to add that with the $100 price increase.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Wally world already sells a bike with mechanical disks and a 3x7 and suspension fork for $99. Swap the fork for rigid and save money, take that savings to do a narrow range 1x setup with a granny front gear since a newb doesn't have a need to go faster than 20mph. And throw in another hundred bucks for more margin. Like a 30lb steel frame even if its welded by Ray Charles won't break. I think the 99 dollar hobby doesn't have double wall rims though so you get to add that with the $100 price increase.
Amazing. I really wonder what kind of bike you could piece together for that price. Also wonder how decent those brakes are.

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
Amazing. I really wonder what kind of bike you could piece together for that price. Also wonder how decent those brakes are.
As long as they're at least as good as rim brakes and are able to be upgraded to whatever hydraulics you can get for free/cheap does it matter?

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
As long as they're at least as good as rim brakes and are able to be upgraded to whatever hydraulics you can get for free/cheap does it matter?
At least as good as rim would be the bar. I just wonder given the price. Case in point, suspension fork at that price.