Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Here's the official UCI instergraim showing footage of Benoit Coulanges winning a Downhill WC to kick off their... *checks notes* uh, XC coverage

To them it's all filthy, unprofitable (for them. Or did that change and MTB is no longer in red for UCI?) MTB.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Nobody said it couldn't be done. They said it *shouldn't* be done.

But hey, progress is progress. Now if they can just figure out a way to mount flat, low rise narrow flat handlebars on there, we can recreate the late 90's mountain bike, but more expensive.
Hunh, If I still had a Maverick DUC, I *might* be interested in slapping it on a gravel bike just for fun….

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Here's the official UCI instergraim showing footage of Benoit Coulanges winning a Downhill WC to kick off their... *checks notes* uh, XC coverage

Also encouraging fans to stamped the finish zone... That'll go well, when other XC racers are still trying to finish.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
2000 Australian dollars for a gravel fork!
1713339166129.png

I'd like to see how it rides compared to a 20 year old SID, similar weight and crown construction, excluding the USD part.
I'd assume it would be a fair bit stiffer than a SID.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Steel ring, 152 gr, $20
Carbon abomination ring, 89 gr, $150

Make sense.
$190 CDN

I used their steel ring on the Turbine cranks I had on the old bike and it worked fine, no complaints. Sure it weighs more, but I could get 2 Bromont day passes with the money not spent. Or one day pass and a lot of beer. Or just A LOT of beer.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
$190 CDN

I used their steel ring on the Turbine cranks I had on the old bike and it worked fine, no complaints. Sure it weighs more, but I could get 2 Bromont day passes with the money not spent. Or one day pass and a lot of beer. Or just A LOT of beer.
Let's not forget, it last and retain the chain much longer. I've been running steel ring for 6 years. No complaints. And the weight is irrelevant.

I've been tempted to go back to a 10 speed Zee setup on the trail bike. Just need to harden the fuck up.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Let's not forget, it last and retain the chain much longer. I've been running steel ring for 6 years. No complaints. And the weight is irrelevant.

I've been tempted to go back to a 10 speed Zee setup on the trail bike. Just need to harden the fuck up.
Just dial in the high limit screw on your derailleur and you're golden. No need to go all Gary on us here. :D

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Just dial in the high limit screw on your derailleur and you're golden. No need to go all Gary on us here. :D
It's mostly to save cost on wear items.
10 speed XT cassette is $89
12 speed GX is $275

I can phantom the idea of people paying $500+ on wear items. :bonk:

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
The steel RF rings (Shimano 12spd) that can be had for 25$cad are perfect. I am running an NSB on another bike and ran a Shimano 12 spd SLX on another one, and I don't find any difference between them all. Plus I couldn't care less about the weight, but I care about the added longevity and reduced cost!

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
The steel RF rings (Shimano 12spd) that can be had for 25$cad are perfect. I am running an NSB on another bike and ran a Shimano 12 spd SLX on another one, and I don't find any difference between them all. Plus I couldn't care less about the weight, but I care about the added longevity and reduced cost!
Yeah the steel rings are worth it for how long they last.

Not sure if its because of the sandy soil here, hack pedaling or what, but aluminum rings only last me one season. I can stretch it a bit further, but then have to deal with the chain trying to constantly come off. Not worth blowing $60-80 on a ring every year (yes GARY, I know aliexpress has magical $4 ones that last you forever).

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
AMA Supercross tickets Denver, May 4: $70 for the cheap seats. Weak sauce. I don't need to see it that bad. I'll watch it for free on the TV. No driving, parking, no crowds and the nachos and beer is "free" :D

Not exactly DH, but still...at least it's televised with quality production and easy to find (IMO).

I have yet to dig for the replay of the recent XC race. I heard Blevins did good, so there's that!

Oh and go Tomac!

jrewing

Monkey
Aug 22, 2010
Maydena Oz
AMA Supercross tickets Denver, May 4: $70 for the cheap seats. Weak sauce. I don't need to see it that bad. I'll watch it for free on the TV. No driving, parking, no crowds and the nachos and beer is "free" :D

Not exactly DH, but still...at least it's televised with quality production and easy to find (IMO).

I have yet to dig for the replay of the recent XC race. I heard Blevins did good, so there's that!

Oh and go Tomac!
Im torn for all 5 winning. Cooper, Eli, Jett, Chase and Kenny.
Tomac to add to his win tally. Cooper because hes just the definition of gamer. Jett the title because im Aussie and also want to see history made.
Id stump up 70 freedoms, but my transport there would be significantly costly compared. You been to many races?

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004

This. SRAM (in my case) 30t steel chainrings are dirt fucking cheap, very durable, have great chain retention and are smidge heavier.

My most ridden bike has a somewhat spendy Wolftooth SRAM direct mount stainless round 30t ring. It's gotten a lot of ride time, hack riding log/rock bashing and still looks near mint. Four years old, I think? They no longer make that version, of course.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
It's mostly to save cost on wear items.
10 speed XT cassette is $89
12 speed GX is $275

I can phantom the idea of people paying $500+ on wear items. :bonk:
Stocked up on my preferred 11 speed stuff early on during Plague Time. Man, that stuff is great. From either big brand. I've got massive bike part lust for Transmission drivetrain stuff, but just can't do it until my spare pile is gone. It all just works so well.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Im torn for all 5 winning. Cooper, Eli, Jett, Chase and Kenny.
Tomac to add to his win tally. Cooper because hes just the definition of gamer. Jett the title because im Aussie and also want to see history made.
Id stump up 70 freedoms, but my transport there would be significantly costly compared. You been to many races?
Dude, Jett. I hope he can keep it up. But Tomac being "local" and a son of a former mtb legend. How can you not go for the guy?

I hear you when you say for $70, I'd be there. It is awesome. If you have the chance to go. DO IT. Yes, I've been and it is awesome. Oh the smell and the sounds and the awesomeness? oh my!

They had the Moto of nations race a few years ago, (actually a lot of years ago, I'm getting old) an outdoor track (lookup Thundervalley, Lakewood, CO) near my buddy's house. We rode our MTB's there. It was supposed to be $$ to get to the pits. But the dude at the gate was like, nice bikes. Come on in for free. You can't beat that! :)

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Dude, Jett. I hope he can keep it up. But Tomac being "local" and a son of a former mtb legend. How can you not go for the guy?

I hear you when you say for $70, I'd be there. It is awesome. If you have the chance to go. DO IT. Yes, I've been and it is awesome. Oh the smell and the sounds and the awesomeness? oh my!

They had the Moto of nations race a few years ago, (actually a lot of years ago, I'm getting old) an outdoor track (lookup Thundervalley, Lakewood, CO) near my buddy's house. We rode our MTB's there. It was supposed to be $$ to get to the pits. But the dude at the gate was like, nice bikes. Come on in for free. You can't beat that! :)
Is JT a former legend or is he a legend?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Stocked up on my preferred 11 speed stuff early on during Plague Time. Man, that stuff is great. From either big brand. I've got massive bike part lust for Transmission drivetrain stuff, but just can't do it until my spare pile is gone. It all just works so well.
from what i've been reading about transmission i wouldn't be in any hurry to change.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
from what i've been reading about transmission i wouldn't be in any hurry to change.

Agreed.

I figure by the time i blow through all of my eleven speed stash there will be a nicely developed gx level version at a price point that won't make me want to vomit.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
There's absolutely no need to "stock up" on older drivetrain parts. They're not going away any time soon. mechanical 10, 11 and 12spd derailleurs are interchangeable and decent quality 10 spd shifters ars still available

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
There's absolutely no need to "stock up" on older drivetrain parts. They're not going away any time soon. mechanical 10, 11 and 12spd derailleurs are interchangeable and decent quality 10 spd shifters ars still available
Bit of a pain to find them over here in Oz. And thanks to geo-restrictions we struggle to order from overseas.

Actually effin georestrictions are whats wrong with the industry. If you're gonna lock us out of buying spares and parts from overseas to save coin, then at least make sure they're bloody available here. Prior to geo-locking we all bought Shimano, SRAM, etc from CRC/Wiggle/zee Germans because they were literally 60-70% cheaper than getting bent over by our local distros. Then they were forced to block sales of certain products here to let the local distributors afford the new model Range Rovers and the freshest caviar.

Which is all well and bloody good except when we need stuff and are told there's no stock in the country, or better yet - the importer isn't bringing in that item or product as "there's not enough market for it".