Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
about 20-40% more, depending on what you look at. meat is definitely a luxury over here. other groceries are 20-30% more than in germany. rent also. but i was living in a super expensive area so though i pay more for my flat now its still less % of my total income than before.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
yesterday i charged this for changing a tube:

changing a tube: 29chf
tube: 11,90 chf
lubing the chain 3 chf (mandatory when bringing in a bike)
testride: 5 chf
Tell me about this testride. Never heard of that before. Is it that you take the bike out for a quick spin after you fo the work to make sure all is good, and charge for it?

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Chainstay mounted post-mount brakes.

Can barely get to the mounting bolts to tighten the caliper to the frame.
Can't remove the pad retaining pin without loosening the caliper as it hits the seatstay on the way out.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

Can't remove the pad retaining pin without loosening the caliper as it hits the seatstay on the way out.
It seems to me like Scott was the first to do this on racing Hardtails? That’s where I first remember seeing it en mass. Tucking the brake down in the rear triangle rather than sticking “outside” the rear triangle. I agree, it’s dumb. Too limiting with rotors, adapters and access.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle

Antidote has managed to make a version of it that doesn't suck on the Carbonjack, but I agree that it's definitely a solution in search of a problem, at best.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I understand it's probably necessary on bikes which use a flex stay, doesn't mean I don't think it's a pain the balls though. If I haven't put it in this thread already, I'd also add flat mount brakes on mountain bikes.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
It seems to me like Scott was the first to do this on racing Hardtails? That’s where I first remember seeing it en mass. Tucking the brake down in the rear triangle rather than sticking “outside” the rear triangle. I agree, it’s dumb. Too limiting with rotors, adapters and access.
my spark has that setup. i have no issues with it, but i'm only running a 160 rotor on it, but i could see it being an issue w/ larger rotors.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
my spark has that setup. i have no issues with it, but i'm only running a 160 rotor on it, but i could see it being an issue w/ larger rotors.
The two bikes I was dealing with are 160mm PM with a 20mm adapter for the stock 180mm rotor.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Actually, reality is mundane enough.

Mike Vandeman is an elderly gentleman who makes up his own fake research to discredit mountainbikers as a legitimate user group because he doesn't like them. And he got arrested for cutting a bike rider with a saw a few years ago and lost his job at AT&T because of it.

And he's still doing this shit.............:rofl:
Oh my... dillholes gonna dillhole.

1648769200117.png

That PC647.6 code... :butcher: :disgust1:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I don't know if it is because of tradition or aesthetics but have the cut end of a dropper cable at the post is a fucking pain in the ass. Would be so much easier to have the barrel connect to the post then have some kind of grub screw attach it to the lever.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I don't know if it is because of tradition or aesthetics but have the cut end of a dropper cable at the post is a fucking pain in the ass. Would be so much easier to have the barrel connect to the post then have some kind of grub screw attach it to the lever.
Yeah having the cut end at the post is objectively wrong. Fortunately most people have it right these days.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
KS posts....

And yeah they are a total bugger. You need to get the cable length just right or do EVERYTHING again.

I had one of the old posts that has the cable go up into the seat post mount head. You had to loop the shift cable around a tiny screw, down in the hole. What a pain in the ass...

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
KS posts....

And yeah they are a total bugger. You need to get the cable length just right or do EVERYTHING again.

I had one of the old posts that has the cable go up into the seat post mount head. You had to loop the shift cable around a tiny screw, down in the hole. What a pain in the ass...
I drilled out the hole that the barrel goes in and now put the head of the cable in the post. Been like that since 2017 with no issues. I have the barrel in my tool box in case I need it for some reason, but I haven't in all these years.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
KS posts....

Yeah KS and BikeYoke share the same setup but at least the new BikeYoke remote lets you have both ends cut and adjust the length at the lever end rather than fixed.

I'd still prefer to leave the pre-formed end on the cable though like the Fox/OneUp posts do.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Yeah KS and BikeYoke share the same setup but at least the new BikeYoke remote lets you have both ends cut and adjust the length at the lever end rather than fixed.

I'd still prefer to leave the pre-formed end on the cable though like the Fox/OneUp posts do.
:stupid:

The only thing I do not like about my BikeYoke Revive is the fucking cable.
This method has Ball Ache written all over it.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I just re-attached mine the other week after sitting around all winter. Did not think it was a big PITA. I hate the tiny easy to round wolf-tooth screw at their remote more than anything else (with "right way" PNW posts). Hell, I'll take dealing with the BY rather than blowing through failed PNWs (my 3rd happened a week ago).

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I just re-attached mine the other week after sitting around all winter. Did not think it was a big PITA. I hate the tiny easy to round wolf-tooth screw at their remote more than anything else (with "right way" PNW posts). Hell, I'll take dealing with the BY rather than blowing through failed PNWs (my 3rd happened a week ago).
Whats failing on your PNW? A few of us in our group use them on our fatbikes - no issues yet. They're a bit heavy and perhaps a little agricultural in feeling, but they feel solid.

Do they at least warranty replace them?

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
I was fine the double cut cable setup on my BikeYoke before I went full robot (AXS). It meant I didn't need to faff around with measuring the length at the post end. Yeah, it would be a bit better if you could just hook on the ferrule end at the post, but I think it would have meant having a much larger cylinder to fit around it and still rotate smoothly.

The BY worked flawlessly for a couple years - I'm still holding onto it as backup because it's honestly worth more than whatever used price it'd fetch. I'd rather let it sit in my workbench to have such a great post available if I need it than have to settle for a OneUp or PNW.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Whats failing on your PNW? A few of us in our group use them on our fatbikes - no issues yet. They're a bit heavy and perhaps a little agricultural in feeling, but they feel solid.

Do they at least warranty replace them?
So the 2nd to last one actuator failed, in cold temps it will seize, keeping the seat post compressed most of the time seems to help. Bikeyoke does something similar, but doesn’t seem to affect reliability, also if compressed, the bikeyoke will always extend, vs if extended and temp changes radically. This cold weather problem with the actuators is an issue, but seems to be fairly mitigated keeping them compressed. The last failed by developing about 1” of play at the top, except it was a month old warranty replacement for the actuator one. This was also at the start of my 100 mile race, so I was frantically trying to get my seat height right and hoping it wouldn’t get worse. Also didn’t see any extreme cold due to our warm tail end of winter. The first one that failed also developed play in the cartridge. I have years old bikeyokes, but I can’t get the PNWs to function as anything other than a disposable post. I have two BYs and 3 PNWs, including the failed one and one spare. I’m probably going to try something else for my winter bikes, I hear transfer SL is mechanical, as is e13.

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Yeah, no idea if they've improved it but my e13 on my fatbike is pants. I specifically bought them because fatbike, cold weather and mechanical.

The 150mm's needed a stronger spring than they originally fitted, otherwise it doesn't spring back up enough. Even with that mine still needs help sometimes. I know I've mentioned it in this thread, but the remote that came with it was horrible. 3 or 4 different fastener sizes and a bunch of small parts.

The 125mm on my wifes fatbike hasn't had the return issue. But she's got a loam lever on hers now, mine has a Oneup.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
And I know it’s taboo to speak of riding on snow, but droppers are making headway here and the only reason we aren’t seeing more is reliability in the cold. As far as usefulness, there are a couple people saying “well I don’t see why” but it’s the exact same **** with every other off road situation. Even on the Iditarod there were lots of steep hills, descents, etc. just being able to step off and on a 60 lb bike (it is NOT as easy to step over the side when it weighs that much, it slides down to the side each time) is a huge win, but it’s like every other off road situation, you end up using it all the time.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
fyi e13 stopped making the mechanical TRS dropper that was fully serviceable (and works fine in very cold temps) and have switched to the common replaceable cartridge style.