Quantcast

This is what's right with The Industry®

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Judging by the little hydroformed triangle, yours is also larger sized frame. So of course the same seat post inserts further. :confused:

Also, fail on not getting an anodized frame.

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
I kind of want a shorter dropper, as mine is currently inserted as far as it can go. It'd be nice to be able to squeak it a tiny bit lower, for those days on super steep stuff. Its not really a big deal while riding, but if you stop on a steep section or bail, it can be a little goofy getting back on the bike with a high seat.

One of the downsides of these Banshee's is their short seat insertion depth.

This is my bike with a 210mm OneUp, shimmed down to 190mm. My only concern is if I drop to a 180mm post, the seat post collar will be even higher than it already is. Or am I an idiot and wrong? I don't know if I have long legs or what, but my seat has always been giraffe neck like.

is it the dropper tube itself or the mechanism stopping you from inserting further. There are some droppers with shorter insertion depths for the tube than the oneup and also some that just have smaller diameter mechanisms so that might help you clear instead.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
@canadmos and @sethimus I could raise you both, but I never take pictures of my bike with the post up cause it looks so giraffy...

V3 without the ability to adjust pressure is a no go. At least in the fatbike where it needs to be at max pressure to have good return speed at -20c

Maybe the new SKF seal will help in the cold. Waiting for review from winter riding folks.

That V3 explains why V2 were half price on black Friday.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Stop pointing the nose of your saddles downwards and you won't need anywhere near as much drop in the first place.
But moar importantly your bikes won't look horrendous like Chris Porter's

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Pic from Summer 2018
_20240116_230409.JPG

That's a 250mm KS dropper (more of a raiser post TBF)

Last edited:

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
@canadmos and @sethimus I could raise you both, but I never take pictures of my bike with the post up cause it looks so giraffy...

V3 without the ability to adjust pressure is a no go. At least in the fatbike where it needs to be at max pressure to have good return speed at -20c

Maybe the new SKF seal will help in the cold. Waiting for review from winter riding folks.

That V3 explains why V2 were half price on black Friday.
that’s what you’re doing wrong on the fat bike. You need the brand x/trans-x dropper on those. They work flawlessly at -20F.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
that’s what you’re doing wrong on the fat bike. You need the brand x/trans-x dropper on those. They work flawlessly at -20F.
I didn't say it didn't work. Just saying it needs to be at 300psi. I run my summer post at around 260psi. My fatbike OneUp V2 is 4 years old and receives one clean up and lube per season.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
I kind of want a shorter dropper, as mine is currently inserted as far as it can go. It'd be nice to be able to squeak it a tiny bit lower, for those days on super steep stuff. Its not really a big deal while riding, but if you stop on a steep section or bail, it can be a little goofy getting back on the bike with a high seat.

One of the downsides of these Banshee's is their short seat insertion depth.

This is my bike with a 210mm OneUp, shimmed down to 190mm. My only concern is if I drop to a 180mm post, the seat post collar will be even higher than it already is. Or am I an idiot and wrong? I don't know if I have long legs or what, but my seat has always been giraffe neck like.

You're wrong for trying to get started, or even climb something tricky, with the post at full extension

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I just asked Hayes/Manitou if the standard Mastodon could be converted to the extended version and if parts were needed to do so. They literally replied to me within 3 minutes with the answer and the link to the exact page in the tech manual to do so (attached to the email). I wasn't sure if I would be getting one, but this kind of customer service is what could motivate me to.
The answer is NO if you are like me and want a 150 EXT. They made them, they exist (and can even be pushed to 170mm), but they didn't make many of them and they never had any extra. The new G3 will do 160, so I may eventually go that route.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
For about a month or two. The 3 dead PNWs with the same cartridge I've killed are the evidence.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Good on ya NORCO

Norco Files Patent for New Downhill Bike - Pinkbike

At least someone (who is bigger than a bread box) is trying to innovate? Or is this the "too little too late" type of thing?

Is this what you consider innovation? Everything you need to know to design that linkage can be found in a 100+ year old text book. Today computers can do all the not so difficult math for you. If you want to get real fancy running some basic optimization routines can refine the design to do exactly what you want while constraining your pivot locations in the general area where you want them. You could do most of the design on a website made to sell childrens toys.

A good bike today isn't defined by a perfectly linear leverage ratio (is that even a good thing?), it is the refinement of all the details to get everything to work well together. It looks kind of neat, until you need to service the bearings.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Is this what you consider innovation? Everything you need to know to design that linkage can be found in a 100+ year old text book. Today computers can do all the not so difficult math for you. If you want to get real fancy running some basic optimization routines can refine the design to do exactly what you want while constraining your pivot locations in the general area where you want them. You could do most of the design on a website made to sell childrens toys.

A good bike today isn't defined by a perfectly linear leverage ratio (is that even a good thing?), it is the refinement of all the details to get everything to work well together. It looks kind of neat, until you need to service the bearings.
what part of 'new thing I haven't bought yet' are you not getting?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
How?

The number of people looking at new Banshee's is super low, its not like they are saturating the market.

The price of those frames were already high, so 12% is a few hundred dollars/pounds/weird dollar sign currency things/pounds etc. A used bike is going to sell for way less than that.