Quantcast

This is what's right with The Industry®

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
A woman was actually killed by a mountain lion here a few years back. She was with another person, they held their bikes in front of them and the kitty just watched them. Then the lady panicked, dropped her bike and ran.

I think I'd rather have a bike on me than a pocket knife. Perhaps a bike based martial art is in order.

You would be surprised what a KBar buried into a 110lbs cat could do. A guy locally had 2 Cane Corsos that he got to keep the Mountain Lions away from his sheep. Did the job wonderfully. They killed 1 on his ranch. The moral of the story is to get a working dog (Pit Bull works too) to ride with you or strap a KBar to the bards of your bike!

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I've been riding AXS on my roadcycle for the past year. I am also the biggest SRAM hater on this forum. Simply put, I adore AXS and would put it on every bike I owned if it weren't for the cost. shifting on the roadie is virtually flawless, adjustment is easy, setup is easy, and the battery runs down about once a month. It gives you a nice little red light when the battery is low, but it's still enough to get through a whole ride. I'd just throw a battery in your "hip pack" if you're really that concerned that you'll run out on your 8mi backcountry epic. The derailleur is admittedly massive and I hear the ergonomics on the shifter aren't great, but the improvement in indexing and the ease of setup is really pretty awesome.

I would consider scooping this one up if somebody can figure out an 11spd hack, but i don't need a 52t cog. I wonder if you can set the limit screws and just let it index across 11 then stop at 12.

All in all, I agree that this is what's right with the industry, and Shimano better innovate before they continue to lose market share.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I've been riding AXS on my roadcycle for the past year. I am also the biggest SRAM hater on this forum. Simply put, I adore AXS and would put it on every bike I owned if it weren't for the cost. shifting on the roadie is virtually flawless, adjustment is easy, setup is easy, and the battery runs down about once a month. It gives you a nice little red light when the battery is low, but it's still enough to get through a whole ride. I'd just throw a battery in your "hip pack" if you're really that concerned that you'll run out on your 8mi backcountry epic. The derailleur is admittedly massive and I hear the ergonomics on the shifter aren't great, but the improvement in indexing and the ease of setup is really pretty awesome.

I would consider scooping this one up if somebody can figure out an 11spd hack, but i don't need a 52t cog. I wonder if you can set the limit screws and just let it index across 11 then stop at 12.

All in all, I agree that this is what's right with the industry, and Shimano better innovate before they continue to lose market share.
Agreed. I have AXS rear derailleur and now the seatpost. The derailleur really blows your mind and how good it is. Fast and accurate and no cable to monkey with!

The seatpost is less impressive, but still, no cable and it just works. Which is exactly what I need. (after going thru 3 9point8 posts)

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
I have been running an 11 speed Xt derailleur and shifter combined with a X01 cassette and chain on my trail bike. I never needed to adjust anything during the first 2 years (around 3000km of riding). At some point the shifting went bad and I changed the cable and housing to later realise that my cage was bend... I just changed the derailleur.
A year later the shifting went sluggish again and I changed the cassette since then it's fine.
So I wonder how AXS can be better ?

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Agreed. I have AXS rear derailleur and now the seatpost. The derailleur really blows your mind and how good it is. Fast and accurate and no cable to monkey with!

The seatpost is less impressive, but still, no cable and it just works. Which is exactly what I need. (after going thru 3 9point8 posts)
With you 100% about a year on both now and it's pretty incredible how well v.1 of AXS turned out. I won't be going back to cables ever again, that's for sure.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
On the battery life thing, it's completely a non-issue. My buddy's been running AXS for over a year now, rides almost every day, and he says he only needs to charge the dropper about every 4 months and the derailleur about every 6 weeks (you actuate the derailleur a LOT more than the dropper). I've had my derailleur about a month now, riding about 3 times a week, and it's at like 80% charge.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I'm too lazy to check but isn't the cog spacing slightly different between 11 and 12? If so, assuming you can't change the amount the der moves between each cog, it would probably work ok at one end of the cassette but get worse as you move away from that end.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
On the battery life thing, it's completely a non-issue.
Dude showed up to our local enduro the other day and forgot to bring the battery for his AXS dropper (do they have to come out to charge or something??). Anyway, spent the day swapping batteries before and after every liason so he could adjust his seatpost height.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
AXS for 6+ months now on the yeti and never going back. Its just so damn easy and smooth. I wore through 2 cassettes and 2 chains in the prior 6 months to going AXS, the current set up in clean and wear free.

I really want the dropper, but waiting for a 200mm option.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Pretty convinced that just like 12 speed, Shimano will take their time (it is a big ship) and come out with a far superior product.
At least I hope so.
The new Shimano 12 spd stuff is really good, but "far superior"?" Really? My 12 spd X01 and XX1 parts have been flawless and super durable. Not sure that a slightly better ability to shift under load is far superior. Is there something else I'm missing?

I was a Shimano guy for a million years but they lost me a while back when they stuck their heads in the sand on 1X and denied that the well-known wandering bite point issue is actually a thing. (Which they continue to deny to this day.)

Big ship indeed.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Have to take it with a grain of salt too, but while the published reviews of Shimano's 12 speed stuff has been very good, on almost every one of those articles there are lots of people complaining about various common issues; bent derailleurs, clutch issues etc.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Maybe its not so much that i love Shimano as it is that I don't like Sram. Campy Wireless 12 speed 2022! With electonics designed by Fiat!

That said, I have had two XTR bikes for the last two years without a single one of those problems, at all. Most reliable and best shifting system that I have ever experienced. Full Stop.
Sample of one, though.

Last edited:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Yeah, fair enough. I guess one of the things that's right is that traditional drivetrain development has come so far that it's tough to go wrong at the mid- and upper-tiers. Just pick your preferred flavor and budget.

And hey, even if you don't like SRAM, you gotta give those guys credit for creating true competition with Shimano. I mean, Shimano moves slow enough now as it is, just imagine if they still had the monopoly they enjoyed for so long.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
Absolutely. I rode Sram from ‘13-‘17, so I know it fairly well.
And yes, they were forward thinking, and the engineering/manufacturing behind the XD cassettes is amazing.
I think my distaste started waaay back when I needed a bassworm AND A Rollamajig in order to have my x-ray grip shifter work for shit... :busted:

I never liked the feel of the brakes, (or bleeding them) the clunkiness of the shifting, and the single ‘finger’ action of the shifters. And let’s not mention the Reverb.
But we could be diverging into ‘Ford vs. Chevy’ bullshit arguments here, really.
What we have now is so superior to what we started with, I rarely forget that.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
The new Shimano 12 spd stuff is really good, but "far superior"?" Really? My 12 spd X01 and XX1 parts have been flawless and super durable. Not sure that a slightly better ability to shift under load is far superior. Is there something else I'm missing?

I was a Shimano guy for a million years but they lost me a while back when they stuck their heads in the sand on 1X and denied that the well-known wandering bite point issue is actually a thing. (Which they continue to deny to this day.)

Big ship indeed.
What he means is the shimano shifters and hubs will break.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Yeah, fair enough. I guess one of the things that's right is that traditional drivetrain development has come so far that it's tough to go wrong at the mid- and upper-tiers. Just pick your preferred flavor and budget.

And hey, even if you don't like SRAM, you gotta give those guys credit for creating true competition with Shimano. I mean, Shimano moves slow enough now as it is, just imagine if they still had the monopoly they enjoyed for so long.
I think when they did 1x, they had a quantum shift in quality and design. It wasn’t just 1x, it was quality stuff that wasn’t sloppy or snapping chains and derailleurs every week. Prior to that, they “tried” to compete with 9.0, 9.0sl, x9, etc, but that shit WAS a joke compared to shimano. The tables have turned and sram is at least as good these days. Back in the old days a manufacture was an idiot to spec sram OEM and after 1x they nearly cornered the market.

SRAM 1x drivetrain has been largely a success.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
I think when they did 1x, they had a quantum shift in quality and design. It wasn’t just 1x, it was quality stuff that wasn’t sloppy or snapping chains and derailleurs every week. Prior to that, they “tried” to compete with 9.0, 9.0sl, x9, etc, but that shit WAS a joke compared to shimano. The tables have turned and sram is at least as good these days. Back in the old days a manufacture was an idiot to spec sram OEM and after 1x they nearly cornered the market.
Yep! My 11sp XX1 group I bought in 2013 is still the best bike part I ever owned. I owned plenty of nice stuff like various Pushed forks and shocks, but nothing has ever been as satisfying as my original XX1 derailleur/shifter/cassette. Amazing quality, performance and durability.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I still think the 9spd X0 short cage derailleur + X0 shifter + Dura Ace road cassette + proper chainguide is the best setup on a DH bike. No supension interference from the clutch, minimal chain slap, nice and tidy shifting.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
So today, 8 riders, 3000 foot descent (very fall-line ish), two Sram brake boilovers.
Make of that what you will.

FULL DISCLOSURE:
I had a minor brake boil with XTR on a continuous 10,000 foot descent last week, FWIW

Last edited:

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
So today, 8 riders, 3000 foot descent (very fall-line ish), two Sram brake boilovers.

FULL DISCLOSURE:
I had a minor brake boil with XTR on a continuous 10,000 foot descent last week, FWIW
What's the difference between a boiling 4 piston sram and a non boiling 4 piston sram?
11% the power of any shimano 2 piston instead of 12% ?

People slam shimanos for wandering bite point.
At least they have bite...:rimshot:

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Shimano and SRAM are both fantastic at the top end (XTR and XX1/X01) but it's the middle and lower stuff where Shimano just demolishes SRAM. XT is infinitely better than GX and nearly as good as X01 if only the cassette and crankset were a bit lighter. NX is bad and SX shouldn't even exist while SLX and Deore are both super solid.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

FULL DISCLOSURE:
Wrong thread?

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
I might have been interested if they made it 11 speed compatible...

it is still 250g more unsprung weight compared to a X01 11 speed rear mech. I know that it seems like a drop in the ocean if one considers the pie-sized cassette mounted on super-wide 29" rims with cushcore and your favourite casing... so 250g more for what actually? A cleaner cockpit?

Sorry for the rant-ish in a thread about good things. Maybe I had a bad day at the office :boss:
No, you were right. Heavy drivetrains and foam filled tires kill a lively rear end.
-XX1 11spd
-30mm carbon rim on DT 240
-Double Down casing with reasonable pressure
If that combo doesn't work for you the problem is your lack of pedal power or hacky riding.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
I have been running an 11 speed Xt derailleur and shifter combined with a X01 cassette and chain on my trail bike. I never needed to adjust anything during the first 2 years (around 3000km of riding). At some point the shifting went bad and I changed the cable and housing to later realise that my cage was bend... I just changed the derailleur.
A year later the shifting went sluggish again and I changed the cassette since then it's fine.
So I wonder how AXS can be better ?
I have literally NEVER had a bad shift on my 2014 Nomad's original XX1. It's had the cable and housing changed once when I went from a large to XL front triangle. It's on the original cassette and like 3rd chain. The other 2 bikes with XX1 11spd are also faultless. The bike with 11spd XTR shifter/derailleur on XX1 cassette is occassionally fussy.
I'm content with the gear range and spacing so unless they can reduce weight, add range without weight, or remove the cable without adding weight I'm at a loss as to what can be improved.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
XT is infinitely better than GX and nearly as good as X01 if only the cassette and crankset were a bit lighter.
Absolutely, buuuut. Fuck lighter cranksets. I just removed and sold X01 crankset brand new and fitted XT. I don't want carbon arms for one, but also every Shimano crankset just goes on and only comes off for new chainring or frame pivot maintenance. SRAM cranks and BBs have a long way to go to even compare with 10 year old Shimano tech IMO.

*as an edit* - I actually prefer SRAM shifters and mechs and run them. I think combined with Shimano crankset, chain and cassette they're mint. As for brakes - choose your poison. Either is suitable for selling immediately and replacing with a functional brand.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Shimano cranks 10 years ago were great.
Not anymore IMO
Seen chainring threads go and spiders break on the last gen and current ones.
Both of which simply couldn't have happened on the old 4 bolt tabbed spider male/female chainring bolt designs.
and as for the new XT and SLX splined DM chainrings with 8 bolts joining the ring to the DM spider.
WTAF?

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Not anymore IMO
Both of which simply couldn't have happened on the old 4 bolt tabbed spider male/female chainring bolt designs.
and as for the new XT and SLX splined DM chainrings with 8 bolts joining the ring to the DM spider.
WTAF?

Agree. If you follow the road side of things it seems Shimano has a Pole problem.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I actually run Shimano 5700 10 speed 5 bolt 110 BCD cranks from 10 years back on my roadbike as the 6700 4 bolt Ultegra (and newer) road chainrings are both stupidly expensive and have a stupid honeycomb rear just asking to fill with Scottish winter road grime.

I pretty much never buy into new new shiny shiny unless I can see a clear improvement. and I avoid like the plague if I see something I deem to be stupid or worse

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Not anymore IMO
WTAF?

only thing i can see is maybe replacing the ring w/o removing crankset? dunno though, just have the old ones...

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Because they couldn’t just use a lock ring spider and still the same BCD as all along....had to invent a new mounting standard/BCD for chainrings again. You gotta hand it to them, well played.

I don’t have a hard on for carbon cranks, but the xx1/x01 level has been solid. Taperlock axles are a bit annoying, but otherwise a solid product.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Not anymore IMO
WTAF?

I hadn't seen the back of a new Shimano chainring.

That there is dumb.