Quantcast

This is what's right with The Industry®

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Shimano cranks 10 years ago were great.
Not anymore IMO
Seen chainring threads go and spiders break on the last gen and current ones.
Both of which simply couldn't have happened on the old 4 bolt tabbed spider male/female chainring bolt designs.
and as for the new XT and SLX splined DM chainrings with 8 bolts joining the ring to the DM spider.
WTAF?

That ring isn't meant to be disassembled, it's effectively a one piece ring. Those bolts are there to join two dissimilar materials.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Why the heck did Shimano take the only stupid cue from OneUp and made a one-piece, direct mount chainring into two separate pieces? I mean, once SRAM and Race Face opened that venue, all they had to do was introduce their own chainring/crank interface spline to make them incompatible with every other brand and call the day off.

But they chose to create a more flimsy interface instead, adding weight and complexity to a component already sorted out by many other brands.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Why the heck did Shimano take the only stupid cue from OneUp and made a one-piece, direct mount chainring into two separate pieces? I mean, once SRAM and Race Face opened that venue, all they had to do was introduce their own chainring/crank interface spline to make them incompatible with every other brand and call the day off.

But they chose to create a more flimsy interface instead, adding weight and complexity to a component already sorted out by many other brands.
Probably because SRAM and Raceface patented their interfaces and would have loved to sue anyone else for using it.

Bike companies don't exist to make you bike parts, they are there to make money.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Probably because SRAM and Raceface patented their interfaces and would have loved to sue anyone else for using it.
The Sram interface is open for use without asking for permission. Look at the Blackspire crankset. It's also the best system because it's less prone to loosening and creaking than all the lockring systems. I don't know why everyone doesn't use it.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
That's why I literally wrote "all they had to do was introduce their own chainring/crank interface spline to make them incompatible with every other brand and call the day off."

There are several other brands using their own chainring/crank interface (FSA and Praxis come to mind).

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
The Sram interface is open for use without asking for permission. Look at the Blackspire crankset. It's also the best system because it's less prone to loosening and creaking than all the lockring systems. I don't know why everyone doesn't use it.
The worst part is Blackspire is doing one piece, Shimano compatible direct mount chainrings, as a myriad of generic Chinese factories also do...

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

Greeting. I am human person. Please communicate more with me and idea for industry.

Last edited:

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
What the industry has done right: no matter what standards/designs/manufacturing processes The Industry® puts out, internet strangers will be able to argue about it.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
In bad yet good news, I broke one side of my XTR pedal(s) that I bought in '05. Must have been on twenty bikes since then. Bad news is that I broke it 1/4 of the way into the hardest DH day of my life. Good news is that they lasted 16 YEARS, have never been rebuilt, and are designed well enough that the other side still worked fine. And they are ubiquitous enough that my friends here have plenty of spares.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
In bad yet good news, I broke one side of my XTR pedal(s) that I bought in '05. Must have been on twenty bikes since then. Bad news is that I broke it 1/4 of the way into the hardest DH day of my life. Good news is that they lasted 16 YEARS, have never been rebuilt, and are designed well enough that the other side still worked fine. And they are ubiquitous enough that my friends here have plenty of spares.
Those types of failures are the best, when something fails well after you got your money's worth. Can't be sad about it.

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
At the very end he says he’ll definitely race another DH World Cup. Also has some opinions on the longer/slacker direction of bikes. Kind of a tough listen with the audio, his monotone and the crazy Australian birds in the background, but still worth it.

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
At the very end he says he’ll definitely race another DH World Cup. Also has some opinions on the longer/slacker direction of bikes. Kind of a tough listen with the audio, his monotone and the crazy Australian birds in the background, but still worth it.
Also the interviewer snickering at every SH response. Still a good listen, because Sam Hill.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Can you summarize his take on longer bikes?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
“Medium size men aren’t getting longer” or something to that effect. He seemed baffled as to why companies are making everything longer, taking the agility out of bikes.
because longer bikes make it easier to go fast, allowing total herbs to feel like WC champions?

see also: sandwich's DH bike

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I agree. At 6'1-2" I should be on XLs, but those are too long now so I'm at the edge of the seatpost range on larges.
I'm about the same size and have been complaining about the same issue for a long time, and I have the same problem with seatpost range (even with a 210 dropper) on most larges. But personally I think larges should be bigger and that XL's should be made to fit the real giants out there. A person our size is closer to average than many think, and we should not need the biggest bike a company makes.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
I'm about the same size and have been complaining about the same issue for a long time, and I have the same problem with seatpost range (even with a 210 dropper) on most larges. But personally I think larges should be bigger and that XL's should be made to fit the real giants out there. A person our size is closer to average than many think, and we should not need the biggest bike a company makes.
I can agree with this. There is no clothing that I take size XL.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle

The higher end ones are one piece. I forget if they're still doing it, but the prior gen XTR chainrings that were mostly aluminum with stainless steel teeth last *forever* without being super heavy. So there's a benefit to using multiple pieces/materials.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
“Medium size men aren’t getting longer” or something to that effect. He seemed baffled as to why companies are making everything longer, taking the agility out of bikes.
Somebody wise talked about Dunning-Kruger effect here. Maybe his Royal Ridejesty SH overestimates the majority's riding abilities and underestimates his own in comparison to us mere plebs.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
The higher end ones are one piece. I forget if they're still doing it, but the prior gen XTR chainrings that were mostly aluminum with stainless steel teeth last *forever* without being super heavy. So there's a benefit to using multiple pieces/materials.
All of my aluminum rings on 1x last pretty much "forever", at least when they start getting droppy it's like 3-4 years down the road. Those XTR would have to literally last more than 5 years to make that complexity worth it IMO. I got 1.5 out of a 9000 XTR cassette a few years ago before it was slipping bad on a bike that was one of 4 rotated for use (with the chain changed out). I did the math and X01 saves me money over XTR, XT and SLX, given how long the latter 3 last.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I haven't tried every ring and interface, but can say RF Cinch aluminum rings do not last very long, and I'm neither a high miles guy nor do I ride in mud/wet. I think aluminum spider w/ steel teeth is a nice compromise to reduce waste and increase longevity.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Because those medium and large sized men are now in their late 30's/early 40's and have figured out that cramming themselves onto ergonomically retarded bikes like they did when they were in their early 20's trying to race ratty old DH bikes is very fucking stupid.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Because those medium and large sized men are now in their late 30's/early 40's and have figured out that cramming themselves onto ergonomically retarded bikes like they did when they were in their early 20's trying to race ratty old DH bikes is very fucking stupid.
i can't believe i agree with you.